U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 08:07 AM

1,814 posts, read 3,284,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachLiving View Post
I have insurance and therefore, I sleep well at night.
I'm sure it's still a nightmare to have your house destroyed, insurance or no.

Just the other day the guy who delivers my propane told me he's lost two houses to hurricanes and the insurance company stiffed him each time, declaring that just because the house was knocked down didn't mean it was a total loss, i.e., it was all still there, all he had to do was pick up the pieces and put it back together again, here's a check for $1,500.

Also, they don't necessarily pay out damages right away, someone I knew lost their place during Hurricane Fran and had to wait 5 months for the insurance payment, and was virtually homeless during that time.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:25 AM

116 posts, read 489,753 times
When you live in any area that is prone to natural disasters, it is of the utmost importance that you understand your policy inside and out. I highly recommend folks contact their agent and ask him/her all the tough questions. And make sure your coverage is exactly what you need. If you go through these steps, you will sleep easier at night.

And one last suggestion, even if you are not in a designated flood zone, it is well worth the $200-300 a year to have flood insurance. That way, if mama nature decides to deal you a curve ball, your covered.

Old 01-11-2008, 04:59 PM

232 posts, read 690,810 times
Hurricanes are a fact of life anywhere near the southeastern coastline. You get used to them. Personally, I'd much rather deal with the occasional hurricane than live in the midwest (tornado alley), the northwest ( volcano central), the southwest ( earthquake central), or the northeast ( blizzard country). It's a trade off. At least with hurricanes, you have some warning. If you lose part of your roof occasionally, so what? That's what blue tarps are for. The only real downside is the rising cost of insurance. The only advice I can give in that respect is to choose a location a few miles inland and shop around for a dependable company with the cheapest rates.

Last edited by Sleestak; 01-11-2008 at 05:38 PM..

Old 01-12-2008, 05:13 PM

83 posts, read 333,034 times
Volcano central? LOL. Tornado alley...yea and the coast never gets tornadoes. Blizzards...well I haven't seem do what Katrina did but with global warming I guess anything is possible. As I have said over and over...the minimal damage...a few roof shingles a window here and there isn't the issue...its the big one that is coming. Rest assured...you will lose your roof and everything that is under it. Your blue tarp...it lands on another continent a few days later. Dependable company with the cheapest rates...a contradiction in terms.

Old 01-12-2008, 06:25 PM

232 posts, read 690,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo View Post
As I have said over and over...the minimal damage...a few roof shingles a window here and there isn't the issue...its the big one that is coming.
Well, I guess it all depends on how much risk a given individual feels comfortable with. Correct me if I'm wrong, but North Carolina hasn't had a direct landfall by a category 4 hurricane since the mid 1950's. To the best of my knowledge, the continental U.S. has only been hit with three Cat 5 hurricanes in the last hundred years and all three hit either Florida or the Gulf Coast region. Sure... North Carolina catches its share of hurricanes, but most of them are Cat 1-3. If "the big one", as you call it, hits us eventually... that's a risk I can live with and prepare for. If the mere possibility of "the big one" is enough to freak a person out, then maybe they should move west of I-95.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:27 PM

116 posts, read 489,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo View Post
Volcano central? LOL. Tornado alley...yea and the coast never gets tornadoes. Blizzards...well I haven't seem do what Katrina did but with global warming I guess anything is possible. As I have said over and over...the minimal damage...a few roof shingles a window here and there isn't the issue...its the big one that is coming. Rest assured...you will lose your roof and everything that is under it. Your blue tarp...it lands on another continent a few days later. Dependable company with the cheapest rates...a contradiction in terms.
You know, you really do sound like you work for the federal government. As you said before in an earlier post, you love your job because of the benefits and job security. Most of the folks I know who work for the federal government say the same thing as you. They are not risk takers and feel so secure because it is nearly impossible to get fired by the US Government. However in your case, you actually sound like you are in a state of constant fear and panic. I just hope that you don't work for FEMA because you definitely don't sound like someone that should ever be confronted with adversity.

I just hope Uncle Sam eventually transfers you soon to a place where you can feel safe and secure. But fyi, when you do go to your next location, you should probably keep your negativity to yourself as it may make it tough to make friends.

GL2U and I hope your next assigment is everything you want.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:42 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,616,717 times
Moderator Note

As from the Terms of Service
Quote:
We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 01-13-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachLiving View Post
You know, you really do sound like you work for the federal government. As you said before in an earlier post, you love your job because of the benefits and job security. Most of the folks I know who work for the federal government say the same thing as you. They are not risk takers and feel so secure because it is nearly impossible to get fired by the US Government. However in your case, you actually sound like you are in a state of constant fear and panic. I just hope that you don't work for FEMA because you definitely don't sound like someone that should ever be confronted with adversity.

I just hope Uncle Sam eventually transfers you soon to a place where you can feel safe and secure. But fyi, when you do go to your next location, you should probably keep your negativity to yourself as it may make it tough to make friends.

GL2U and I hope your next assigment is everything you want.
Actually what annoys me most is the constant pumping by real estate folks...some on this board who will only show you the beautiful pictures of the blue waters...million dollar homes and when ask about hurricanes...they say we get a weak storm once in a while. Do you think these people really give a crap about you after they have your commission? Nope. Perhaps you have driven in Wrightsville Beach or other areas where all you can see is million dollar homes just waiting to be flattened by mother nature. Just as long as people realize what they are getting in to. Negativity??? How about reality? The folks who are telling you there are no worries are the ones putting you in harms way. Risk taking...I risk it daily by getting on the streets of Wilmington. LOL.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:21 PM

1,814 posts, read 3,284,130 times
Well, there's negativity and then there's realism.

Here's some articles and pictures from the NY Times archives about Hurricane Fran's devastation of Topsail Island:
The New York Times: In the Eye of the Storm

Old 01-13-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
Well, there's negativity and then there's realism.

Here's some articles and pictures from the NY Times archives about Hurricane Fran's devastation of Topsail Island:
The New York Times: In the Eye of the Storm
Now thats reality. Fran was a TPC NHC FRAN 1996 PRELIMINARY REPORT weak category three storm when it hit. Just think what a category four will do with all of the development that has taken place in the last ten plus years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina