U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 02:46 PM

232 posts, read 690,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo View Post
... Just think what a category four will do with all of the development that has taken place in the last ten plus years.
Bad news for insurance rates, but good news for the local construction industry, I'd imagine.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:12 AM

49 posts, read 250,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNCGirl View Post
Your reply is very well stated. Every area has its natural disasters. At least we have warning with hurricanes.

There almost certainly will eventually be another hurricane on par with the devastation caused by Hazel in the 1950's. That was before my birth but we've all seen pictures and heard the stories.
Hurricane Hazel is the first one I remember, I was young, we lost part of our roof. It did a lot of damage, and not only to the coast. My grandmother, who lives in a small town in central Pa. had damage from Hazel. I am from Va Beach, and I can remember some great storms.... But I lived in Illinois when my husband was in the Air Force and we had a tornado closet. Everyone is right - insure, prepare, and leave if necessary(take the critters). I have done a lot of traveling compliments of Uncle Sam and now that we are retired, I cannot imagine not living on the coast...

Old 01-21-2008, 07:37 PM

505 posts, read 2,314,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo View Post
...since folks don't want to see both sides of the issue on the other thread...I will start a new thread. Look...you can continue to ignore the warnings from mother nature if you choose...but the fact of the matter is that a devestating storm is on the way for the Carolina Coast. It could be this year...next or who knows when. These are the facts.
Back when Floyd hit, it was a mess all over eastern NC. First time it has ever happend to that extreme that we know of. But you know what? The damage of Floyd did not even come close to the damage that earthquakes can cause.....neither did Katrina.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,982 times
Unhappy Been there, done that

I've lived thru a hurricane - it's not something I wish to do again. But, I will not live my life in fear of natural catastrophies. We plan to move to NC sometime this year and are actively looking for waterfront property. We're doing this because, even though there are hurricane threats, we LOVE the water. We love boating, fishing, swimming. Just being around the water makes us feel good. Guess we have webbed feet. I think you have to live where you enjoy life the most. If you live in fear, then you need to move somewhere else where you can live your life fully. Good luck with that!

Old 01-30-2008, 08:44 PM

16 posts, read 47,584 times
Good for you, MsSew&Sew! Good luck with your search. My parents have gone thru the same thing in MD with Hurricane Isabel and they are actively looking for waterfront property in NC also. They seem to like Bath and Oriental so far. Good luck!

Old 01-31-2008, 09:13 AM

713 posts, read 3,473,645 times
Wink Be smart when looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineMom View Post
Good for you, MsSew&Sew! Good luck with your search. My parents have gone thru the same thing in MD with Hurricane Isabel and they are actively looking for waterfront property in NC also. They seem to like Bath and Oriental so far. Good luck!
We live on the water not far from Cape Carteret so we have accepted the risk of hurricanes, but I think everyone should look at storm surge maps before buying property.

There are areas of the coast which are much more susceptible to storm surges than others.

Carteret County actually goes downhill from west to east. The higher properties are usually on the west side of the county.

Some spots on Emerald Isle that are on the water aren't even in a flood zone.

Here is a good link for Corp of Engineers surge maps for NC (http://www.hurricanetrack.com/ncstormsurge/comaps.html - broken link).

Old 01-31-2008, 10:07 AM

2,356 posts, read 2,644,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beffrey2 View Post
Back when Floyd hit, it was a mess all over eastern NC. First time it has ever happend to that extreme that we know of. But you know what? The damage of Floyd did not even come close to the damage that earthquakes can cause.....neither did Katrina.
Likewise, the damage of your typical earthquake does not come close to the damage a hurricane can cause.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:55 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,698,652 times
Dear Forty,
Perhaps you are concerned about overdevelopment of our "natural" coastal areas, how it's ruining the beauty and wildlife and world, and by golly you're going to let us know. Or maybe you live near the coast and fear it now, and if so, you can always move inland or get used to it. They don't call it "Cape Fear" in Wilmington for nothing. But I think you are indeed an environmentalist, as I am a crusader for the humane treatment of animals. While I respect whatever view you have, I think folks here wouldn't get so upset if we knew exactly what your issues are and if presented in rather more effective wording than calling us "stupid." Yes, educate us proper, we all like talking or we wouldn't be here.

In the meantime, there ARE hundreds of miles of state and federally protected beach areas all up and down the East Coast where no one can build anything. This is good, since human beings have been living on the beaches and all over the earth since the beginning of time, always have and always will, so with unchecked development in the modern age, laws have been passed to protect our natural resources, and yet not totally ban people from digging up the earth somewhere and putting up a dwelling.

So, perhaps if they passed a law saying no one could build within ten miles of any beach or other endangered area to protect it, your concerns would be met. If that is your priority, Forty, become a legislator, an investigative journalist, a filmmaker who does documentaries, or become an activist with or contribute money to an environmental group that represents your views. And if you just want to bring awareness wherever you find a need, like you have done here, then at least be concise and expert and calm about what awareness you wish us to have. All-out war creates casualties, but peace takes no prisoners. This is why, for example, government negotiation has become the main way of dealing with disputes on an international level, and why terrorism is so counterproductive.

I can so appreciate you being upset. Coastal erosion is blamed on unrestrained modern development of ALL kinds, not just houses. Cars burning gas, half the Amazon forest being chopped down, and a variety of unrestrained human activities, contribute to an overall loss of balance in our world. This is a real problem, which is why legislation has been passed to save natural areas, why Al Gore won the Pulitzer Prize for his work on global warming, why a new solar energy panel is born every day, and why an old elephant is rescued from a zoo to live out his life in a natural land sanctuary.

Being concerned about what's goofed up in our world is important. But to come to this little forum where people exchange pleasantries about their towns built in the 1600s, and say we're all gonna die when "the big one" hits ours coast, is not going to make anyone tear down their house and haul it away this afternoon.
GG

Old 02-05-2008, 02:47 AM

83 posts, read 333,084 times
To be honest...I could care less about the development of the coast and I hope to be long gone when the big one hits. Exchanging pleasantries and only presenting one side of the story doesn't do anyone anygood...except for the real estate agents of course.
The comments about the hurricanes are directly related to them as I am sure they minimalize the threat...if they acknowledge it at all. There have been plenty of negative comments concerning other matters about the area other than mine and I wish I could have seen/heard them before coming to this awful place.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:30 AM

108 posts, read 342,178 times
I grew up in Wilmington,nc. I've lived through a lot of hurricanes and its just another common thing you deal with by living in this region. I'm not leaving the coast i love out of fear. it's silly and you are full of wasteful worry. fortysixand2, devastating weather occurences happen everywhere. we can't stop nature. why waste time worrying about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina