U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 07:35 AM

108 posts, read 342,056 times

Advertisements

What is your point fortysix? what are we supposed to do? are you just trying to ruffle feathers or dou have a serious point?

Old 02-05-2008, 04:21 PM

83 posts, read 332,954 times
My point is not if but when mother nature is going to make this place a wasteland. Wait a minute...isn't that redundant considering all of the sewer problems in Wilmington...LOL but I digress. Besides all of the other hassles living in Wilmington and other parts of the NC Coast...traffic...no infrastructure...rude obnoxious people...a Katrina type storm is on the way.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:34 PM

8 posts, read 24,572 times
To anyone who says that they are 'ready to take on a hurricane' , its obvious you have never been through one strong enough that it takes your house, car, every belonging you have..as well as your neighbors, relatives, and friends homes. when that happens you will understand the true meaning of hurricane season. losing a 'couple shingles' means that the storm wasn't devastating. in the next 2 or 3 years a big ones gonna come (we're wayyy over due) and everyone whos built these wonderful condos and so forth will really see what it means to live at the beach during hurricane season. i just hope they all have sense enough to leave when they order the mandatory evacuations.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:35 PM

452 posts, read 2,127,541 times
My family's been here for generations, through Hazel, and way before. They don't live ON the barrier islands, they live about 4 miles inland. Brunswick County. When a hurricane's coming, they board up. They have a storm shelter, their homes are built stronger than code. They prepare. That's all you can do. I'm not worried about the big one. We prepare well. I'd be scared if we did live on the islands, or in the beach houses on stilts etc.

My heart goes out to those who experienced Katrina, and to anyone who's ever suffered any loss in any other disaster. But you cannot live your life in fear. All you can do is educate yourself, be prepared..evacuate if you need to or if you're that worried, move....but most of all, you cannot live your life in fear. You could move inland to get away from the big hurricane that might be coming and lose your home to a tornado, fire, etc. Everywhere you might choose to live is going to have some caveat or other.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:55 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,534,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo View Post
My point is not if but when mother nature is going to make this place a wasteland. Wait a minute...isn't that redundant considering all of the sewer problems in Wilmington...LOL but I digress. Besides all of the other hassles living in Wilmington and other parts of the NC Coast...traffic...no infrastructure...rude obnoxious people...a Katrina type storm is on the way.
Please move already and put the rest of us who love it here out of your misery.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:11 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,696,039 times
Dear Forty,
Thank you for your feedback on what your concerns are about hurricanes. I understand much better where you're coming from. Yes, hurricanes are a pain, some people never get used to them. So, one solution is, when the weather people on TV tell the public a hurricane is coming, do what many people do, and that's to drive inland a hundred miles and plan to stay in a hotel until it blows over. Get a good insurance policy on your home. And realtors and others did not mislead you, as weather is sort of common knowledge. A California realtor wouldn't start his sales pitch with, "You do know we have earthquakes out here, don't you?"

Sure, the "big one" could come, a tidal wave could come, and the lesser hurricanes can do some damage, but basically they're just a lot of bad weather. And hurricanes in general are not such a big deal when balanced against a nice walk down a summer beach, barefoot in the sand, hearing the soothing sound of waves and tasting fresh giant shrimp, not to mention living in a historical town with plenty to do within minutes of all that freedom.

Give it some time. Think positive. Your lumping together of comments that you hate the South and Wilmington shows just how negative your attitude has become, especially when so many like the area. Try to remember why you came there in the first place, be nice in general so mean people won't hurt you as much, and focus on enjoying the good stuff about the region. And if there's something you want changed and you CAN change it, then have at it. Putting out a positive vibe will allow more positive things to come you, just try it for a while.

But if you're still miserable after a year or so goes by, then put together a good plan to go somewhere else. Everyone makes mistakes, everyone feels victimized at one time or other, but it's what you DO about it that makes a difference, because you sure as heck can't change the weather. And since that is your major upset, just don't go to Oklahoma, part of tornado alley, where just a couple days ago the sky opened up and wiped out lives and homes in several states, like they do every year, and they don't have any beaches.
GG

Old 02-07-2008, 03:31 AM

83 posts, read 332,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimac View Post
Dear Forty,
Thank you for your feedback on what your concerns are about hurricanes. I understand much better where you're coming from. Yes, hurricanes are a pain, some people never get used to them. So, one solution is, when the weather people on TV tell the public a hurricane is coming, do what many people do, and that's to drive inland a hundred miles and plan to stay in a hotel until it blows over. Get a good insurance policy on your home. And realtors and others did not mislead you, as weather is sort of common knowledge. A California realtor wouldn't start his sales pitch with, "You do know we have earthquakes out here, don't you?"

Sure, the "big one" could come, a tidal wave could come, and the lesser hurricanes can do some damage, but basically they're just a lot of bad weather. And hurricanes in general are not such a big deal when balanced against a nice walk down a summer beach, barefoot in the sand, hearing the soothing sound of waves and tasting fresh giant shrimp, not to mention living in a historical town with plenty to do within minutes of all that freedom.

Give it some time. Think positive. Your lumping together of comments that you hate the South and Wilmington shows just how negative your attitude has become, especially when so many like the area. Try to remember why you came there in the first place, be nice in general so mean people won't hurt you as much, and focus on enjoying the good stuff about the region. And if there's something you want changed and you CAN change it, then have at it. Putting out a positive vibe will allow more positive things to come you, just try it for a while.

But if you're still miserable after a year or so goes by, then put together a good plan to go somewhere else. Everyone makes mistakes, everyone feels victimized at one time or other, but it's what you DO about it that makes a difference, because you sure as heck can't change the weather. And since that is your major upset, just don't go to Oklahoma, part of tornado alley, where just a couple days ago the sky opened up and wiped out lives and homes in several states, like they do every year, and they don't have any beaches.
GG
You couldn't have made my point more elequently...the skies did open up and lives were changed forever. Not only is the big hurricnae coming...when not if...not could...we have to face tornadoes and the other devestating weather elements as well when it is not hurricane season. Remember Riegelwood...Rocky Point?

Why I came here in the first place is a great job and what I thought would be a great place to live. I'm batting .500. This place is horrible.

Hurricanes...infrastructure...crowded beaches...crime...you get the picture. Give it some time you say...be nice and put out a positive vibe. Well I tried and only got taken advantage of so no more. I do have a plan to go somewhere else...but I will never stop trying to inform others of how horrible this place is so they won't make the same mistake I did.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:16 AM

217 posts, read 1,031,786 times
OK, I think we get your point. You hate it here, you hate the people here, it's the worst place you've ever experienced, etc. But while you continue to try and spread your hatred, the majority of us who live here and are happy, will continue to talk about what we love about Wilmington. I really hope that somehow you can figure a way to leave the area b/c you it really sounds like you are miserable.

Have you looked into a job transfer? Out of curiosity, where do you plan on relocating when you are "lucky enough" to get out of here? Do you plan on moving back to TN? Are there no weather issues in TN? Didn't the tornado just hit TN this week?

Old 02-07-2008, 07:46 AM

934 posts, read 990,545 times
and california's going to fall in the ocean one day.

life is full of risks!

Old 02-07-2008, 07:49 AM

934 posts, read 990,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo View Post
You couldn't have made my point more elequently...the skies did open up and lives were changed forever. Not only is the big hurricnae coming...when not if...not could...we have to face tornadoes and the other devestating weather elements as well when it is not hurricane season. Remember Riegelwood...Rocky Point?

Why I came here in the first place is a great job and what I thought would be a great place to live. I'm batting .500. This place is horrible.

Hurricanes...infrastructure...crowded beaches...crime...you get the picture. Give it some time you say...be nice and put out a positive vibe. Well I tried and only got taken advantage of so no more. I do have a plan to go somewhere else...but I will never stop trying to inform others of how horrible this place is so they won't make the same mistake I did.
ummm ok, obviously you don't like it- so you're giving that vibe to everyone you meet, so they will not like YOU and your ATTITUDE.

move. no one will miss you, and you (apparently) will not miss anyone here, and you can stop worrying about hurricanes ( duh- its the BEACH)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina