Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 01:28 PM

8,379 posts, read 4,361,409 times

Advertisements

Easy question. No
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 07:09 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
There are plenty of smaller houses in Wilmington itself which are not in HOA communities. Just check in your price range in zip codes 28411, 28405, 28409 or 28412.

However, a townhouse community will have probably have a few restrictions and be part of a condominium association.

Furthermore, many (or most) HOA's are not horror stories. Communities need a governing structure if there are any amenities such as a pool or tennis court, otherwise no-one would pay for them or maintain them.
Why? No HOAs mean more town provided pools and Tennis courts

Old 02-09-2015, 03:21 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,623,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Why? No HOAs mean more town provided pools and Tennis courts
and higher taxes to maintain them. Let the small part of the population that uses their neighborhood pool maintain the thing.

I generally dislike living in an HOA, but the one I live in is very lenient. I've lived in some previously that would be very picky about landscaping, parking etc. This one isn't. There are plenty of houses with unkempt shrubs, lawn parking, trash cans out etc. Doesn't bother me, and for the most part i feel the neighborhood is just fine as is. It's a starter home area with a lot of people that try hard to keep the houses nice.

This area is a little north of Ogden park on the west side of Market and south of Murrayville rd. 28411 area code. Apparently everyone, including the leasing agency, didn't know there was an HOA here.

I did get one letter last year about my grass being too high. It was after hurricane Arthur and my lawn tractor would have sunk in the mud if I tried to mow. I didn't feel it looked overgrown, but the lady in the pickup that drives around now and then did. That "zero tolerance" mentality is crap, but it's always the gripe with HOAs. The weekend after the letters came out everyone on my street was begrudgingly mowing their muddy yards. It was a mess.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny536 View Post
and higher taxes to maintain them. Let the small part of the population that uses their neighborhood pool maintain the thing.

I generally dislike living in an HOA, but the one I live in is very lenient. I've lived in some previously that would be very picky about landscaping, parking etc. This one isn't. There are plenty of houses with unkempt shrubs, lawn parking, trash cans out etc. Doesn't bother me, and for the most part i feel the neighborhood is just fine as is. It's a starter home area with a lot of people that try hard to keep the houses nice.

This area is a little north of Ogden park on the west side of Market and south of Murrayville rd. 28411 area code. Apparently everyone, including the leasing agency, didn't know there was an HOA here.

I did get one letter last year about my grass being too high. It was after hurricane Arthur and my lawn tractor would have sunk in the mud if I tried to mow. I didn't feel it looked overgrown, but the lady in the pickup that drives around now and then did. That "zero tolerance" mentality is crap, but it's always the gripe with HOAs. The weekend after the letters came out everyone on my street was begrudgingly mowing their muddy yards. It was a mess.

I wonder how HOAs became the rage in Wilmington as in most United States you buy a single family home or a condo. An HOA is like a single family home slept with a condo and had a baby.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:40 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,378,220 times
Quote:
I wonder how HOAs became the rage in Wilmington as in most United States you buy a single family home or a condo. An HOA is like a single family home slept with a condo and had a baby.
I really don't think Wilmington has more HOA's than any other area of the country. Any place that has new planned subdivisions built in the last 20 or 30 years will have HOA's. The big driver was the Clean Water Act of 1977 that instituted stormwater retention requirements. Since a retention pond is a common feature, and requires on-going maintenance, it made sense to set up a structure to oversee that maintenance.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
I really don't think Wilmington has more HOA's than any other area of the country. Any place that has new planned subdivisions built in the last 20 or 30 years will have HOA's. The big driver was the Clean Water Act of 1977 that instituted stormwater retention requirements. Since a retention pond is a common feature, and requires on-going maintenance, it made sense to set up a structure to oversee that maintenance.
For instance an HOA in New York would be as foreign a concept as someone buying a coop apartment in Wilmington.

I guess if you are taking large tracts of vacant land to build on this is an issue but for places where sewers and storm drains are already in place it is not an issue.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
For instance an HOA in New York would be as foreign a concept as someone buying a coop apartment in Wilmington.

I guess if you are taking large tracts of vacant land to build on this is an issue but for places where sewers and storm drains are already in place it is not an issue.
By "New York", I assume you mean New York City? If so, your statement is no doubt true; however, I am sure there are many newer planned communities in NY outside of the city that have HOA's. Its not something unique to Wilmington or NC. In fact, in 2010 it was estimated that approximately 60 million Americans were governed by an HOA. Thats about 20% of the population.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
By "New York", I assume you mean New York City? If so, your statement is no doubt true; however, I am sure there are many newer planned communities in NY outside of the city that have HOA's. Its not something unique to Wilmington or NC. In fact, in 2010 it was estimated that approximately 60 million Americans were governed by an HOA. Thats about 20% of the population.
But I read places like Texas, Florida or NC much bigger. The concept even outside NY is unusual

My Aunt bought in a brand new almost 1,000 unit planned development of single family type homes with a huge lake, 18 hole golf course, pool club and a clubhouse build 2003 and it is a condo.

The two developments near me built in 2006 and 2008 are condos.

For instance after Sandy when FEMA came in to help folks out on Long Island, Queens, Brooklyn and Manhattan tons of Coops were flooded. FEMA and HUD and the govt had no policies or procedures as to how to pay out in a Disaster to coops as outside of NY City and parts of LI it does not exist.

Honestly, someone in Texas or NC most likely would never buy a COOP as it is an unfamilar concept. But in NY a HOA would be a hard sale. They really are a rare bird in NY State. Although they are perfectly legal.

Confusing part is how does Flood and Homeowners work in an HOA? I guess owners pay but in some cases such as Flood Insurance second homeowners like an HOA could pay high rates and a second homeowner in a condo falls under condo association policy. There are quirk to them all.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
But I read places like Texas, Florida or NC much bigger. The concept even outside NY is unusual

My Aunt bought in a brand new almost 1,000 unit planned development of single family type homes with a huge lake, 18 hole golf course, pool club and a clubhouse build 2003 and it is a condo.

The two developments near me built in 2006 and 2008 are condos.

For instance after Sandy when FEMA came in to help folks out on Long Island, Queens, Brooklyn and Manhattan tons of Coops were flooded. FEMA and HUD and the govt had no policies or procedures as to how to pay out in a Disaster to coops as outside of NY City and parts of LI it does not exist.

Honestly, someone in Texas or NC most likely would never buy a COOP as it is an unfamilar concept. But in NY a HOA would be a hard sale. They really are a rare bird in NY State. Although they are perfectly legal.

Confusing part is how does Flood and Homeowners work in an HOA? I guess owners pay but in some cases such as Flood Insurance second homeowners like an HOA could pay high rates and a second homeowner in a condo falls under condo association policy. There are quirk to them all.
Sorry, I'm really not following much of that. "I read places like...are much bigger" Huh?

"The concept even outside of NY is unusual." What concept? HOA's? I just posted that 20% of the country lives in an HOA...its not unusual.

What does your aunts condo have to do with anything?

What does Sandy and NYC have to do with HOA's?

An HOA has nothing to do with flood or homeowners insurance...perhaps you should read up on what HOA's actually do.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I'm really not following much of that. "I read places like...are much bigger" Huh?

"The concept even outside of NY is unusual." What concept? HOA's? I just posted that 20% of the country lives in an HOA...its not unusual.

What does your aunts condo have to do with anything?

What does Sandy and NYC have to do with HOA's?

An HOA has nothing to do with flood or homeowners insurance...perhaps you should read up on what HOA's actually do.
My point is 20% of county may live in a HOA but it is concentrated in a few states. Some states have tons of them some do not.

My Aunts Condo I only brought up as it was new in NY on vacant land a massive new gated community, they built streets, they have the pond for rain run off, club house, all homes are pretty much 3-4 bedroom homes with 2-4 baths and range from 2,000 to 4,000 square feet driveways, backyards, the whole deal. But they are condos. In NY you dont see HOAs as much.

Sandy does have to do with HOAs somewhat. FEMA is way way outdated. Their manuals have condos and single family homes, condos and HOAs are a weird bird. No mention in manual.

My point is if I was to buy a second home in a flood zone. It appears in a condo I would fall under associaton policy and would not pay extra high rates for being a second home or rental property. But if I bought a HOA I would have to buy my own policy and tag my place as a second home. I was trying to think of a downside.

MY neighbor who moved down South to an HOA died of a big heart attack a few years later arguing with neighbor over height or color of fence or something. Kind of Ironic as he used to yell at me over stuff as well as every other neigbhor and moved to an HOA so he could force neighbors to do what he wanted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: