U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-30-2015, 06:13 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA
11,419 posts, read 20,270,607 times
Reputation: 16495

Advertisements

I'm trying to figure out where to relocate since becoming widowed - I really don't want a HOA (I've read too many horror stories) - my plan was/is to take some trips and visit areas (I hate the idea of paying rent and moving twice as well but don't want to buy something and realize it's a mistake) - the whole idea is scary, between moving by myself (and I'm not a 20 something like I did for my last move) - not knowing anyone, etc. - I just don't like the idea of regulations as to colors, decoration, etc. (I really don't do outrageous things, but still...) - I can't imagine a condo or apt. at this stage of my life so thinking a smallish townhouse or house - affordable of course.

Everything I read about NC it seems that all but the most rural areas have HOA's? - Is that the case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-30-2015, 06:26 PM
 
Location: Southport
4,639 posts, read 4,813,182 times
Reputation: 3417
No, thats not the case at all. Lots of neighborhoods don't have an HOA. Almost all don't, in fact. Its generally only the new, large "plantation" developments that do. And most that do, have them only to maintain a neighborhood pool or something like that, and don't get into dictating house colors, decorations, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2015, 06:40 PM
 
Location: Sneads Ferry, NC
11,256 posts, read 19,791,183 times
Reputation: 5087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
... I can't imagine a condo or apt. at this stage of my life so thinking a smallish townhouse or house - affordable of course.

Everything I read about NC it seems that all but the most rural areas have HOA's? - Is that the case?
There are plenty of smaller houses in Wilmington itself which are not in HOA communities. Just check in your price range in zip codes 28411, 28405, 28409 or 28412.

However, a townhouse community will have probably have a few restrictions and be part of a condominium association.

Furthermore, many (or most) HOA's are not horror stories. Communities need a governing structure if there are any amenities such as a pool or tennis court, otherwise no-one would pay for them or maintain them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2015, 06:57 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA
11,419 posts, read 20,270,607 times
Reputation: 16495
Thank you both, that's a relief
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2015, 09:44 PM
 
Location: Chapelboro
10,688 posts, read 11,314,797 times
Reputation: 8536
I believe it is a state regulation/law that any development built after 1999 with 20 or more homes has to have a HOA or similar. So plenty of older neighborhoods don't have them and very small neighborhoods don't, but if you're looking for newer construction in a non-tiny neighborhood it will almost certainly have a HOA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2015, 04:05 AM
 
Location: Southport
4,639 posts, read 4,813,182 times
Reputation: 3417
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I believe it is a state regulation/law that any development built after 1999 with 20 or more homes has to have a HOA or similar. So plenty of older neighborhoods don't have them and very small neighborhoods don't, but if you're looking for newer construction in a non-tiny neighborhood it will almost certainly have a HOA.
That law only applies to "planned communities" (actually "common interest communities", ie developments that own common or shared amenities like a community center, swimming pool, tennis courts, etc). Also, that law is purely related to legal and financial regulation such as requiring a board of directors, financial statements, etc. As I mentionedd earlier, many such communities exist, but do not get into the regulation of appearance, decorations, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2015, 07:31 AM
 
Location: Sneads Ferry, NC
11,256 posts, read 19,791,183 times
Reputation: 5087
If the OP provided her budget, people could help with suggestions. I know she doesn't want to be in Landfall, which is highly regulated and expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2015, 09:46 AM
 
99 posts, read 188,617 times
Reputation: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I'm trying to figure out where to relocate since becoming widowed - I really don't want a HOA (I've read too many horror stories) - my plan was/is to take some trips and visit areas (I hate the idea of paying rent and moving twice as well but don't want to buy something and realize it's a mistake) - the whole idea is scary, between moving by myself (and I'm not a 20 something like I did for my last move) - not knowing anyone, etc. - I just don't like the idea of regulations as to colors, decoration, etc. (I really don't do outrageous things, but still...) - I can't imagine a condo or apt. at this stage of my life so thinking a smallish townhouse or house - affordable of course.

Everything I read about NC it seems that all but the most rural areas have HOA's? - Is that the case?
Do you lean more toward being in the city or close to a city? Would you consider some hing within a reasonable drive to a city? We are about half way between Wilmington and Myrtle Beach, in an HOA community. I have yet to learn of any restriction in the HOA rules that is unreasonable. What restriction specifically would you find unreasonable and not able to live with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2015, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Sneads Ferry, NC
11,256 posts, read 19,791,183 times
Reputation: 5087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal1006 View Post
I have yet to learn of any restriction in the HOA rules that is unreasonable. What restriction specifically would you find unreasonable and not able to live with?
Furthermore, the HOA community clubhouse and pool are a good way to meet people. If the OP moved to a place like Waterford of the Carolinas, she would find affordable villas and have plenty of clubs and activities as a way to meet people.

I don't really understand why people find it so offensive to have uniform mailboxes. It's not like the HOA runs the rest of your life. We also live in an HOA community, and think most of the rules are reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2015, 05:04 PM
 
2,824 posts, read 3,351,264 times
Reputation: 3030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal1006 View Post
Do you lean more toward being in the city or close to a city? Would you consider some hing within a reasonable drive to a city? We are about half way between Wilmington and Myrtle Beach, in an HOA community. I have yet to learn of any restriction in the HOA rules that is unreasonable. What restriction specifically would you find unreasonable and not able to live with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Furthermore, the HOA community clubhouse and pool are a good way to meet people. If the OP moved to a place like Waterford of the Carolinas, she would find affordable villas and have plenty of clubs and activities as a way to meet people.

I don't really understand why people find it so offensive to have uniform mailboxes. It's not like the HOA runs the rest of your life. We also live in an HOA community, and think most of the rules are reasonable.
OP you made the right decision. You don't need perpetual liens on your property that can never be paid off. You don't need the litigation or threat of litigation or the threat of "fines", etc. You don't need to pay ever-increasing assessments under threat of foreclosure forever into the future either.

You don't need an HOA to meet people. You certainly don't need to have all the restrictions and liens on your house under the pretext that you might meet people at a clubhouse. You have the freedom to join (and leave) clubs or gyms - you don't want your home entangled with an HOA. If you don't like a club or gym you can leave or join a different one. No reason to have it tied in with home ownership.

In HOA-land you'll find there is inevitably a small group of people that thrive on conflict and having a platform to say "no" or to harm other people. The management companies and HOA attorneys actually do so for $$ profit. The vendors that run these HOAs have all sorts of schemes for separating you from your money. They can use the threat of foreclosure to extort whatever fees they demand from you.

These places are not "mini-democracies" - they are often gulags run by a select few in conjunction with vendors. Inevitably you'll wind up with "controllers" seeking ever more control over you and your property.

There's a great NC Supreme Court case that illustrates the push to impose HOAs to satisfy the desire of a few to control everyone else. In the case, an HOA attorney and select individuals attempted to impose an HOA over an entire subdivision. The homeowners threatened with this were forced to sue and appeal all the way to the North Carolina Supreme Court. Fortunately the Supreme Court rejected the legal arguments made by the HOA attorney and his supporters. The Armstrongs posted a website and a blog detailing their legal battle. Consider reading the Armstrong's story here:
The Ledges of Hidden Hills

Now think how bad things can get when you start off with a house burdened by an HOA to begin with. Just say "no". There is no way to cure the fundamental flaws associated with HOA burdened housing. If you want a primer on HOAs and the various industry groups preying upon prospective purchasers as well as existing owners, you might be interested in reading this site:
theHOAprimer

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top