U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2015, 03:39 AM

78 posts, read 125,924 times

Advertisements

I was looking at places to call my new home, while searching for colleges to continue my education. I believe by the time I will be ready to move I will be almost 40. My career is getting started late in life but other life got in the way... I am currently finishing my associates degree in business which will be done in December and then I am immediately starting on a Health Information certificate program because I suddenly realized I wanted to go after a much different career. Luckily with what I have already taken, I will only need 5 more classes. My goal then becomes to find a coding job after I get certified. Looking for colleges and my need to get away from long winters (I live in VT) led me to Greenville and a place in TN. What is important is my safety, and cost of living, but on a personal level, scenic views won me over here hands down! I dI'd like the program at the university. I come from a very small town where we never lock our doors and the walmart, well it's the smallest one I have ever seen. We don't have much here and I would like nothing more than to explore a new opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 10:48 PM

153 posts, read 187,401 times
Best of luck in Greenville. I moved here from Oklahoma 28 years ago planning to stay short while and head back towards Mississippi / Tennessee. But here I am 28 years later. I will say that Greenville grows on you. Great town for school and the medical field. For coding, I assume you're referring to Medical Coding - RHIT kind of stuff? I work at the hospital in the Information Services department. Computers have always been my background. But I love the healthcare side of it. Went to ECU for my MBA with Healthcare option.

Close to the beach here and not terribly far from the mountains (which is my preference). Shopping and dining is ok. Sports scene is good with ECU sports. It's a good area to live in. Crime is not bad for a town of 100K. But you will have to lock doors. I'll tell you that North Carolina offers a lot in the way of exploring. The coastal area has it's charms - New Bern (45 mins from Greenville) was the colonial capital of North Carolina. Raleigh is about 70 miles away with great shopping and dining. Lots of military in Eastern NC, but that's not a bad thing. Then you have the Piedmont, Charlotte and the Blue Ridge Mountains......THAT is heaven to me.

Hope you'll enjoy your time here. Greenville is growing and has a little something for everyone I think.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:13 PM

78 posts, read 125,924 times
jrecufan, yes I was talking about medical coding. I really am looking for the natural beauty but really hate winter. I am liking the program at ECU for a bachelor program and I too love computers. I do not know where I want my career to end up, only where I want it to begin and for it to get me out of my current situation. Over the years I am fought with myself over where I should move to and with the recent east coast weather I am sick, sick, sick of long winters!

Old 02-05-2015, 05:33 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,054,795 times
Pick the right neighborhood and you won't have to lock your doors here in Greenville either. Pick the wrong neighborhood and....

Really most neighborhoods south and east of Greenville Blvd. are as safe as anywhere. Just outside the city limits is the best. Almost the whole Eastern Pines area is great.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:10 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,706,442 times
I love Greenville. I went to ECU. But I don't know that you'll find sweeping beautiful vistas there. I love the coastal plain, but it's flat.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:16 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
But I don't know that you'll find sweeping beautiful vistas there. I love the coastal plain, but it's flat.
But ahhh... There is often more than meets the eye in Greenville. Eastern NC is home to some incredible sights of nature if only people would look. The sunrises and sunsets are breath taking at times. The whole area is literally infested with wildlife. Bears, foxes, Bald Eagles and Blue Herons are just a few of the many different types of wildlife here. There really is a ton of wildlife.

You can also go out into the darker parts of the countryside and peer at the Milky Way on clear cloudless nights. The Milky Way is something that most residents of this great country never get to see and it is an awesome sight.

You can rent a canoe at the Greenville River Park North and see a lot on the Tar River. The waterway remains fairly unspoiled and it is beautiful for the most part.

Just 20 minutes south of Greenville is Grifton. Grifton offers a plethora of parks, historic attractions and nature spots for recreation. They really do have a ton to offer for family fun for a small town. We invite you to learn more about the places on this section and to visit any of the nearly dozen attractions we have to offer.

There is a lot to see in the Greenville area. It's a shame that more people don't value the area for it's attractiveness.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:46 PM

153 posts, read 187,401 times
I will agree with Richard. On the surface, Greenville is flat, populated with strip malls, hectic traffic, but you've got a lot around you. Explore the downtown or just-off downtown areas. The old tobacco warehouses are cool. The old building next to the train tracks just off 10th street is neat too. Little Washington is 20 minutes away and has a great boardwalk and growing downtown area. Bath is a little farther down the road - where the pirate Blackbeard once frequented. It also has the state's oldest or second oldest church. Goose Creek State park is in that area as well. To the West, Tarboro has a lot of history and old architecture. Interestingly, not sure if they're still doing this or not, but for a while, the city would give you an old historical home for free. All you had to agree to is renovations.

Tons of wildlife. The last operational Voice of America site is just outside Greenville at Blackjack. Although it has since been torn down, the first Hardees was across from the McDonalds - diagonally from Krispy Kreme where a parking lot now is.

Just dig and you'll find stuff. Oh, and our winters are normally not that bad. A couple of snows. The last 2 years have been a bit unusual but I like a little snow. :-) The ice I have no patience for.

Don't hesitate to ask questions. Lots of folks here willing to give info.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:47 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,048,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrecufan View Post
...the first Hardees was across from the McDonalds - diagonally from Krispy Kreme where a parking lot now is.
The original Hardee's was on 14th St. I cannot confirm, but I believe it was either behind the current Rite Aid or across the street where there is a car wash now. They really should put a historical marker up.

The Story of Hardee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or