U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-01-2015, 07:37 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
383 posts, read 743,065 times
Reputation: 214

Advertisements

I would love to have Natural Gas in SJP, but I have the propane fireplace with a thermostat and blower. When that is on, the entire downstairs is warm and the heat pump does not even go on. Also, since I have a two story with bedrooms, other than the master, upstairs, they are warm as well. Heat rises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-01-2015, 07:45 PM
 
89 posts, read 96,445 times
Reputation: 53
Lisanevada - don't believe there's natural gas in SJP and many other areas don't have it either. But as far as heat pumps, the new ones are more efficient and we never had a problem with the cold air in our last two houses - KY and NJ. We also had a propane fueled fireplace that was vented and sealed and kept us toasty warm.

Biscman - we lived in NJ for 10 years and the last house was in Pt. Pleasant Beach. We are able to walk on the beach here on Oak Island every day that it doesn't rain, was not the case there - today was a gorgeous, over 60.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2015, 09:22 AM
 
99 posts, read 188,617 times
Reputation: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Was at dinner up here in NJ last night with 4 other couples and we had a interesting discussion on the topic of "Winters" in Brunswick County. I did more listening than talking but i would really be interested in thoughts of individuals where this was their first or second winter living down there? Everyone was in agreement the Spring, Summer, and fall will be like heaven but as respects winter how did you and your significant others find living down there when its not beach or golf weather? How did you keep yourself busy and occupied.

Want to be prepared when we go out again when this topic I know will come up.

Thanks...


PS I laughed when the comments kept coming up that one would be so far from a big city like NYC.

Most of us haven't been in the Big Apple other than work in over 20 years on a weekend night....

Priceless..
We have been in SE Brunswick County since this past Sept, moved from New England. We really enjoy living here. Even though winter seems to be the rainy season, it will be 62 degrees today, there are many wonderful, beautiful days with nice Carolina blue skies to walk on the beach. We have enjoyed many days at our beach house and on days that may be a bit to nasty for walking the beach we can enjoy the comfort of the beach house while watching the waves roll in.

There have been plenty of nice days to play golf, the club house parking lot is full on a regular basis.

As a gardener I have been able to pick my Kale and Collards all winter

Winter also provides some great kayaking weather.

We are also within driving range of some excellent, cost effective winter cruises out of FL or Charleston.
Took a five day cruise out of FL in December.

Our first winter has been a good time to explore Wilmington & Myrtle Beach and surrounding area.

Our first winter has been a good time to recon different area beaches for surf casting, in the near future.

Finally, if you select the Fall/Winter time frame to build a new house, which we did, you can make regular visits during construction. We will move into our new home in three weeks.

I did leave three pairs of xcountry skis in New England. However I did bring my snow shoes just in case we decide to visit the mountains, in future winters.

I like to ride my bike, I've had the bike out a number of times this winter.

We have had a very enjoyable first winter in SE Brunswick County
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2015, 08:57 AM
 
1,089 posts, read 1,964,650 times
Reputation: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
Not sure who told you summer "was like heaven", but you should certainly come and see it for yourself in July. It's warmer than the NE in the winter, but it definitely isn't warm...

Lived in Charlotte for 20 years and go to Sunset Beach NC for last 25 years. Love it down there. I hate cold and heat never bothers me....Some think its hot but to me, just :warm:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2015, 08:59 AM
 
1,089 posts, read 1,964,650 times
Reputation: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
What did you do during winter back in NJ? I catch up my reading and stuff like that in winter on days when I can't enjoy being outdoors.
Agree %100.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2015, 09:01 AM
 
1,089 posts, read 1,964,650 times
Reputation: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcountess View Post
Lisanevada - don't believe there's natural gas in SJP and many other areas don't have it either. But as far as heat pumps, the new ones are more efficient and we never had a problem with the cold air in our last two houses - KY and NJ. We also had a propane fueled fireplace that was vented and sealed and kept us toasty warm.

Biscman - we lived in NJ for 10 years and the last house was in Pt. Pleasant Beach. We are able to walk on the beach here on Oak Island every day that it doesn't rain, was not the case there - today was a gorgeous, over 60.
Wow, thats great. Today 17 down the shore. Crayzeeeee. More snow Thursday and Sunday....Last winter for us, outta here......................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2015, 09:03 AM
 
1,089 posts, read 1,964,650 times
Reputation: 381
That's great.Wish you guys the best..



Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal1006 View Post
We have been in SE Brunswick County since this past Sept, moved from New England. We really enjoy living here. Even though winter seems to be the rainy season, it will be 62 degrees today, there are many wonderful, beautiful days with nice Carolina blue skies to walk on the beach. We have enjoyed many days at our beach house and on days that may be a bit to nasty for walking the beach we can enjoy the comfort of the beach house while watching the waves roll in.

There have been plenty of nice days to play golf, the club house parking lot is full on a regular basis.

As a gardener I have been able to pick my Kale and Collards all winter

Winter also provides some great kayaking weather.

We are also within driving range of some excellent, cost effective winter cruises out of FL or Charleston.
Took a five day cruise out of FL in December.

Our first winter has been a good time to explore Wilmington & Myrtle Beach and surrounding area.

Our first winter has been a good time to recon different area beaches for surf casting, in the near future.

Finally, if you select the Fall/Winter time frame to build a new house, which we did, you can make regular visits during construction. We will move into our new home in three weeks.

I did leave three pairs of xcountry skis in New England. However I did bring my snow shoes just in case we decide to visit the mountains, in future winters.

I like to ride my bike, I've had the bike out a number of times this winter.

We have had a very enjoyable first winter in SE Brunswick County
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2015, 11:36 AM
 
2,784 posts, read 7,335,442 times
Reputation: 2796
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Wow, thats great. Today 17 down the shore. Crayzeeeee. More snow Thursday and Sunday....Last winter for us, outta here......................
biscman, where are you headed in NC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2015, 01:37 PM
 
Location: NC
720 posts, read 1,485,508 times
Reputation: 1072
We've found that even during what is considered unusualy cold in Brunswick county, it's not that miserable biting cold like up north. Still outside doung yard things.I find the heat pump air feels cool when the night temps are way down, we warm up the house with the propane fireplace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2015, 03:07 PM
 
1,089 posts, read 1,964,650 times
Reputation: 381
Right now we are wrestling with St James, Ocean Ridge Plantation and Sea Trails. And on the remote possibility, Charlotte, where we used to live for 20 years before we had to move back to Jersey in 2007...

As long as when i pass Petersburg in VA and i see signs for 85 or 95 South i will be extremely happy.....

Can't lose either decision......



Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
biscman, where are you headed in NC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top