U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 02:57 AM

4 posts, read 3,706 times

Advertisements

We were in the area for a couple weeks last year and loved it, but I know you can't know everything about a place by spending a couple weeks on vacation there. So I thought I'd ask for the opinions of people who actually know something.
Would it be a good place to settle down and live a nice quiet life?
What's the word on the job situation in the area?
What's your overall opinion of the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 07:09 AM

11,255 posts, read 19,786,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatonegirl27 View Post
Would it be a good place to settle down and live a nice quiet life?
What's the word on the job situation in the area?
What's your overall opinion of the area?
It's good for retirement. If you have kids in school, check the ratings at Greatschools.org . Any jobs not already held by locals are probably in Myrtle Beach, Wilmington, or dependent on the hospitality industry, construction, or servicing all the retirees in Southport and Leland.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Any jobs not already held by locals
Note that there are only 3800 people in Shallotte. If you tell us your job skills, others might have suggestions where to look for jobs.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:32 PM

Well I for the most part have only customer service experience.
My husband however has a little construction experience,quite alot of logging experience, and some mechanic experience.
Of course I'm open to trying new things and so is he, and having to drive a bit to work wouldn't be a problem if we got to come home to a nice quiet place.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
My husband however has a little construction experience, quite a lot of logging experience, and some mechanic experience.
The logging experience will be a help in finding a job. There is a big pulpwood plant in Riegelwood, and many companies cut pine for it. If you have ever seen the Swamp Loggers show on TV, it was filmed in south-eastern North Carolina.

Good Luck.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:56 AM

10,401 posts, read 19,422,969 times
Quote:
My husband however has a little construction experience,quite alot of logging experience, and some mechanic experience.
Of course I'm open to trying new things and so is he, and having to drive a bit to work wouldn't be a problem if we got to come home to a nice quiet place.

Before moving anywhere, if you're going to need to be working, your #1 priority should be to find something for at least one of you. Coastal towns are very seasonal, so make sure it's something that will be there in winter as well as summer. What you're "willing to try" is less important to an employer than what you actually have experience doing. I'm sure you could find some kind of cust service job somewhere in the county; I know less about what might be there for him. He might start with mechanic jobs if he has experience in that?

Know that "everybody and their brother" is trying to move to North Carolina these days, which floods the job market with applicants for most positions. You might start with the Brunswick county website and see what they are advertising, though that would be a commute.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:07 AM

Do you have any recommendations for places to apply before we move? I'm not sure how to go about getting a job before moving, don't must places require you to already live in the area?
I'm going to try to transfer within the company I ashtray work for, but I'm worried they may not have any open positions.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:01 AM

Here's a list of current openings around Shallotte. Jobs, Employment in Shallotte, NC | Indeed.com

I can't say that any one of them will acknowledge an out-of-state application. Good luck.

Some people suggest getting a local cell phone number, especially if you can be available immediately for an interview.

Last edited by goldenage1; 02-15-2015 at 08:15 AM..

Old 02-15-2015, 11:08 PM

Lowe's Home Improvement has openings for seasonal people in the building supply and garden center departments.

Lowes Foods has numerous openings within 25 miles of Shallotte, and there is a WalMart Super Center in Shallotte.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:39 AM

36,914 posts, read 16,100,406 times
Quote:
Do you have any recommendations for places to apply before we move? I'm not sure how to go about getting a job before moving, don't must places require you to already live in the area?
I'm going to try to transfer within the company I ashtray work for, but I'm worried they may not have any open positions.
"I'm not sure how to go about getting a job before moving,"
You are in trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina