U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 09:14 AM

1,985 posts, read 2,650,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Publix will be expanding well into areas of eastern and coastal North Carolina. At the same time, Harris Teeter, now a division of Kroger, is returning to Greenville, South Carolina and upstate South Carolina.
I wish they'd open a Kroger in New Bern. Kroger has unbeatable specials.

--Asparagus $1.99
--Half Gallon Milk $1.00
--Cereal $1.88
--Eggplant $.99/lb
--Tomatoes $.99/lb
--Green Beans $.99/lb

Kroger has great deals on organic produce as well. And the produce is fresh, not half rotten like other chains.

You accumulate points on your reward card just by shopping there. Points are redeemed for discounted gas.

None of the other grocery chains touch Kroger's prices! I hope Kroger replaces the "proposed" Harris Teeter at Carolina Colors. Fingers crossed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 09:38 AM

183 posts, read 240,981 times
Put an offer on a home in River Bend today.Fingers crossed

Old 02-04-2015, 05:42 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,745,550 times
Yeah, it seems like the HT on 70 has been "coming" for years. That is certainly where I would build.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:49 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,039,585 times
Quote:
Publix's South Glenburnie Road store could help Food Lion #1368, McCarthy Crossing, 3301 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, New Bern, North Carolina 28562-5222, close its doors.
Why would you wish a business to close their doors? There are people that work there that would be unemployed? Food Lion also has some killer deals on food and those among us that can't afford the best need those types of deals. It's the very reason that both Food Lion and Harris Teeter can be a stone's throw aware from one another and both stay in business. This is like wishing for a Red Lobster to open so McDonald's is forced to close. You may not like McDonald's food but for some people, it's all they can afford.

I also wouldn't say the Publix deal is written in stone. From the link that you provided...

Quote:
“They do not say what will be in the 49,000-square foot building,” he said. “It may be a Publix, but I’ve had no dealings with people the consultants are working with.”

Old 02-05-2015, 08:10 AM

19,983 posts, read 18,922,177 times
Food retailers are highly competitive with supermarkets, specialty grocers, discount grocers and other formats. When there is too much competition, stores seeing fewer customers and not doing enough business are likely to close.

Food Lion may be doing well in the area to some extent. It has struggled in markets where Publix, Aldi and Walmart's Neighborhood Market stores are present and are opening. When stores are divested or closed and markets are abandoned, something was not done right to remain open.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:49 AM

183 posts, read 240,981 times
Any truth to Sams Club possibly taking over the vacant Pepsi plant?

Old 02-05-2015, 08:54 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,039,585 times
Quote:
Food retailers are highly competitive with supermarkets, specialty grocers, discount grocers and other formats. When there is too much competition, stores seeing fewer customers and not doing enough business are likely to close.

Food Lion may be doing well in the area to some extent. It has struggled in markets where Publix, Aldi and Walmart's Neighborhood Market stores are present and are opening. When stores are divested or closed and markets are abandoned, something was not done right to remain open.
You're really not making it clear what your point is. Just so everyone knows Carolina Knight sent me a private message about my response to her/his post. Here is the PM:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight
Good morning!

First, I would like to mention that I worked in the food retailing industry for 12 years. The last six years were spent working in pharmacy as a pharmacy technician. I do maintain active registration with the board of pharmacy in the state I practiced in.

Second, I am concerned with Food Lion. It is popular in central, eastern and coastal North Carolina. It has not done so well in other markets where competition among other food retailers has caused Sweetbay, Reid's and Harvey's to be divested, stores closed and Food Lion's exit from Florida. Food Lion has struggled and closed stores in markets in South Carolina and western North Carolina dominated by Walmart, Publix, Kroger/Harris Teeter, Bi-Lo and Ingle's.
To which I replied:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin
Perhaps you meant to say that you would hate to see Publix hasten the closing of another Food Lion? The way you wrote the post made it seem like you were encouraging Food Lion to close for whatever reason.
I believe that we'd both hate to see that Food Lion close, if even for different reasons. It was just a little mixup.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:00 AM

21,970 posts, read 27,258,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Why would you wish a business to close their doors? There are people that work there that would be unemployed? Food Lion also has some killer deals on food and those among us that can't afford the best need those types of deals. It's the very reason that both Food Lion and Harris Teeter can be a stone's throw aware from one another and both stay in business. This is like wishing for a Red Lobster to open so McDonald's is forced to close. You may not like McDonald's food but for some people, it's all they can afford.

I also wouldn't say the Publix deal is written in stone. From the link that you provided...
Have you tried Aldi?

Old 02-05-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjjb1953 View Post
Any truth to Sams Club possibly taking over the vacant Pepsi plant?
I was told by a credible source that Sam's has committed itself to opening a location at Craven 32 within the next five years. Craven 32 will also have typical stores including Bed Bath & Beyond and modern movie theater (with New Bern is very much lacking).

Old 02-05-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post

I agree. I don't see Food Lions in ENC going anywhere, anytime soon. I do 90% of my grocery shopping (with exception to occasion trips to Costco) there. Food Lion's aren't fancy, but they are convenient to me. There is one nearby (unlike Harris Teeter), it offers easy parking (unlike Harris Teeter), customers are generally courteous and stay out of my way (unlike Harris Teeter), lines aren't excessively long (unlike Harris Teeter), and there prices are great (unlike Harris Teeter).

I too have my doubts about Publix opening in New Bern. I was told weeks ago by someone who works for Lowe's Foods, that Lowe's Foods is opening across from Harris Teeter in New Bern. He even mentioned transferring to the NB location when it opens. I honestly don't see Publix coming to New Bern. I see them staying in larger cities, not NB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or