Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 05:54 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times

Advertisements

As some of you know, I've been researching places to move to, I've done some searches to get an idea of prices for places - seems like they are all electric stoves (silly, I know, but I like gas stoves) - is gas not an option/available? I have gas heat and stove now and from what I can find out (not sure if it's reliable) gas is cheaper than electricity for such things - and I don't even know anything about heat pumps.

I'm speaking as someone who would be moving alone (scary enough!!)

Another question, since there aren't basements - where do you keep your "stuff"? i.e, Christmas decorations, etc. - and where do you go when there are hurricane warnings?

Sorry to sound silly, but these are concerns of mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 06:19 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,550,845 times
Actually here in New Bern, gas is making inroads but you need to buy in newer developments to get it. Heat pumps are good for this area unless it gets real cold then they suck your money out of your bank account.

I keep stuff in closets, attic, and garage.

I will stay for hurricane warnings unless it is a cat 4, then I head way inland and north. I have been here since 1996 and have never had to leave.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:25 PM

TY trlhiker - I really need to downsize my "stuff" (have Christmas decorations in plastic tubs in the basement) - on the occasions here that there have been hurricane/tornado warnings, I feel better going into the basement (even though it's unfinished and filled with "stuff" LOL)

Old 02-03-2015, 06:56 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Another question, since there aren't basements - where do you keep your "stuff"? i.e, Christmas decorations, etc. - and where do you go when there are hurricane warnings?
1. There are also FROG rooms ("finished room over garage") for storage. We have 2 sheds for outdoor stuff.

2. If there were a tornado, we have an interior power room and a space under the staircase which are away from flying glass. We have a weather radio, which we hope would give enough warning.

3. We did evacuate during Hurricane Irene and went to a relative's house inland. We also have identified motels which allow pets in case we have to stay at a motel during another hurricane.

Last edited by goldenage1; 02-03-2015 at 07:32 PM..

Old 02-03-2015, 07:12 PM

Guess I'm being more scared since I'll be on my own now - I actually didn't know what a FROG was until I started researching the area - I'm not someone who freaks out over weather but.... TY

Old 02-03-2015, 09:24 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,052,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
TY trlhiker - I really need to downsize my "stuff" (have Christmas decorations in plastic tubs in the basement) - on the occasions here that there have been hurricane/tornado warnings, I feel better going into the basement (even though it's unfinished and filled with "stuff" LOL)
We are in the process of getting rid of "stuff" too in anticipation of a future move to coastal NC.

There are few basements there due to the sand/water conditions. So designing the house, we are going to insulate the attic space over the garage for "walk in" storage. The 1st room will be condtioned (for stuff like luggage and other moisture/heat sensitive stuff), the larger attic storage space will be unconditioned for the other stuff. Don't underestimate the damage humidity can do to your stuff.

We lived in Mississippi (no basements there either) for many years and have a lot of experience with both tornados and hurricanes.

Tornados, we went to a small room, in the lowest level, usually the bathroom, got into the tub, covered up with something protective.

Hurrricanes, we either hunkered down or evacuated. Factor the evacuation route into your choice of locations.

Good luck with your downsizing and share your secrets!

Old 02-04-2015, 07:19 AM

353 posts, read 604,583 times
I know there are plenty of gas lines in Wilmington, city workers cut through them all the time

Tornadoes are a non-issue on the coast. Further inland you may hear of one or two a year, but I think in the New Hanover County area, there have been maybe 3 to 5 small ones in the 30+ years I've been here.

As far as storage space, most people who don't have a FROG will just use the space above the ceiling for storing things that aren't sensitive to heat and humidity. For me it's kind of nice not having a lot of extra "junk" space, since it keeps me from accumulation massive piles of crap I really don't need.

I live on a tidal creek, less than four miles from the ocean, and I have never evacuated for a hurricane. Every area is different and you really need to know how serious things can get at your property location. I've had over 6 feet of water around my house, but since it's elevated it wasn't an issue.

If you aren't comfortable taking the chance, or if you're oceanfront or in a flood zone in a non-elevated house, you should probably leave. Again, I've never evacuated, but I always though heading more west-southwest (like towards Columbia, SC) would be a good idea. If they're calling for a storm to make landfall in NC, that means it's already passing by SC. Going northwest towards Raleigh or west toward Charlotte never made sense to me, since that's also the direction the storm is possibly travelling in.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:43 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,857,540 times
Live in midtown Wilmington, never have evacuated during storms. Didn't evacuate when I lived downtown either. If you are on the island or sound where the water will rise, you definitely should evacuate. The worst thing about it is that you won't be able to get around easily afterward (think of a big snow storm that shuts every thing down for 4 days while they remove all the snow). So I like to stay close to home in the neighborhood. This also allows me to help out neighbors that need help during or after...

In terms of storage, many folks have sheds or a separate garage for storage or utilize their garage for it and don't park in it. I have a two car and only park one in it. Have a FROG as well.

I prefer gas packs because the prices are more consistent than the fluctuating gas prices. It isn't as cold in coastal NC, my gas pack doesn't go on during the day many days in the winter. Many folks don't have gas because you HAVE to have A/C in the south in the summers and gas doesn't power AC. To me it just makes sense with the higher efficiency units now to use electric for both. Having gas is just having another connection, something else to deal with.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:52 AM

Thanks everyone!

Old 02-04-2015, 11:26 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
You'd probably get more responses to your question if you titled it with something actually content-related, rather than "another stupid question", which people are likely to overlook (you can put that "editorial" in the post itself )

For storage, generally we use attics, or many just rent offsite storage bins.

For tornados, you go into the smallest downstairs room. For hurricanes, you LEAVE, because hurricanes are known well in advance and if they're going to hit an area, often there is a required evacuation or at least "Strongly recommended" ones, so people drive inland and stay in a hotel for a day or so. No room in your house is going to protect from a hurricane, especially if you're near enough to the coast for there to be flooding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina