U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 03:26 PM

287 posts, read 475,344 times

Advertisements

On a reason trip to see my brother who lives in Elizabeth City NC.Told me that Edenton NC on Rt 17,is a perfect place for my wife and I to retire.We were thinking about EC,but it way to busy,and alot of tourest to on certain times of the year.We want more relaxed,calm,not so much on the tourest game towns depend on,and the town fathers push and push tourest to visit.Does anyone have a good insight about the area?Looking for a reasonable home to buy around $100,000 or so,calm neigboorhood.Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 08:30 AM

14 posts, read 12,995 times
Tourist

Old 02-07-2015, 09:10 AM

1,486 posts, read 1,693,471 times
I THINK it's more touristy than EC.

Edenton NC Photo Tours and Travel Information

It's beautiful. But any place near water will be more expensive that those that aren't.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:13 AM

105 posts, read 181,446 times
I agree with those above, Edenton is a popular tourist destination. I have also heard from many, who know about the area or have lived there, that people have a hard time finding a place to 'fit in' if they are not pretty well to do (financially). But it is a nice place to visit. Hertford, is between EC and Edenton and is a small quiet town. With less tourism, I believe.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:00 PM

287 posts, read 475,344 times
Default Edenton NC

Thanks everyone for the input

Old 12-30-2015, 11:44 AM

4 posts, read 4,399 times
Almost a year after your original post, but if you're still considering ~ Edenton is a beautiful SMALL town with so much potential. Keep in mind small town means fewer services, but if you're willing to travel, shop online, or just adjust ~ it's a special place to call home! Your budget will get you in several of the smaller neighborhoods closer to town. If EC is too busy for you, Edenton should be perfect.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:37 PM

11 posts, read 9,839 times
How does Edenton compare with Southport for a retirement destination?

Have been to SP, but not Edenton.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:03 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,805,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design52 View Post

Edenton feels much smaller, although the towns themselves are probably about the same size. There's no Oak Island, St. James, Boiling Spring Lakes around Edenton. Its very isolated...no Wilmington nearby. Edenton is much quieter...there are some tourists but not as many as S'port. Shopping and dining is much more limited in Edenton. Edenton is poorer, and you feel that.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:46 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,352,813 times
Quote:

The towns are similar size, historic and beautiful. Both have hospitals and all of the basic necessities. Edenton can easily be described as charming.

As CD mentioned, Southport's location is closer to the beach and closer to major urban areas in Wilmington and Myrtle Beach. That being said, Southport is much busier, crowded, has traffic problems, and its region is getting more developed every day. It's road system (that area of Brunswick County) is antiquated, with no good fix in site. Summer is crazy in that area.

Edenton, on the other hand, doesn't have traffic problems, has a interstate quality bypass that will be on the future I-44 corridor between Raleigh and the Tidewater area of Va, and doesn't have a huge seasonal population change. Besides its historic charm and waterfront charm, it also has a charming Main Street equipped with a two screen old style movie theater and its own summer league baseball team that plays in a historic stadium on Main Street. It was "blowing up" in terms of retiree's prior to the economic downturn.

IMO, both are great places...and both have a poorer element in and nearby that comes with the territory in rural counties (Brunswick used to be rural), so it really comes down to location and what type of amenities you want when you retire. Lots more people in the Southport area (mostly because of the beaches) and bigger cities nearby, but lots of hassle that goes along with that as well.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:01 AM

11,250 posts, read 19,764,244 times
Quote:

Back to the original poster's budget of !00K for a house, it is harder to find in Southport. You might find a condo, mobile home, townhouse or tiny cottage for $100K or less.

Edenton, on average, will be less expensive than Southport. There were several acceptable houses under $100K in Edenton-- ranches or cottages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina