U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-09-2015, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Princeton, NJ
3 posts, read 3,265 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hello all, i'm born/raised in NJ + looking at a few different locations for possible relocation. The property taxes and population density in NJ are becoming unbearable. Initially focused on Burlington, VT (Lake Champlain most specifically) but realized the property taxes aren't much better than NJ. Next stop South Carolina. Found that it may be a tad too humid. Now focusing on North Carolina- only shore communities (Outer banks all the way down to Oak Island). In looking at the price of real estate, pleasantly surprised to see a home on the beach may be an option . My biggest questions/concerns are in regard to the cost of property taxes and hurricane insurance. Finding a job down there is not an issue as i work in an industry where there is plenty of work from home opportunities- as long as there is a solid internet connection. I have no spouse or children, so no considerations needed there. Really looking for a location that is a peaceful community, not a tourist trap. Life up here in the North East is too fast paced and impersonal..... looking for a better quality of life. Any insights you can provide are greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-09-2015, 02:00 PM
 
Location: Sneads Ferry, NC
11,457 posts, read 20,459,514 times
Reputation: 5221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie08540 View Post
In looking at the price of real estate, pleasantly surprised to see a home on the beach may be an option . My biggest questions/concerns are in regard to the cost of property taxes and hurricane insurance.
The weather in coastal North Carolina isn't a whole lot different than South Carolina. Summers are very hot and humid for 3 months, spring and fall are very pleasant, and winter is tolerable with occasional snow.

The cost of hurricane insurance is frequently more than the property tax. For example, our house is assessed at about $300,000 and we pay $1900 in property tax to Onslow County. The homeowner's insurance with hurricane coverage is close to $2400/year. Many communities near the water are also part of an HOA, so factor those costs in also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2015, 02:08 PM
 
Location: Southport
4,639 posts, read 4,995,618 times
Reputation: 3438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie08540 View Post
Hello all, i'm born/raised in NJ + looking at a few different locations for possible relocation. Next stop South Carolina. Found that it may be a tad too humid. Now focusing on North Carolina
I'm not sure you're going to find an appreciable difference between NC and SC in that regard.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie08540 View Post
Now focusing on North Carolina - only shore communities (Outer banks all the way down to Oak Island). Really looking for a location that is a peaceful community, not a tourist trap.
That covers a lot of territory. Most of the NC coast is a tourist area. To truly be away from tourists, you'd have to find a very remote area, away from any population and amenities...is that what you're looking for? Do you want oceanfront, waterfront (i.e. river or Intracoastal Waterway), walking distance to water, large lot with no neighbors, small town, medium town? Most beach resorts get very quiet in the winter...is it ok to be in a tourist area in the summer that quiets down in the winter? Restaurants? Shopping? Rent or buy? Whats your budget? Please provide more specifics on what you're looking for and you'll get better information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2015, 03:48 PM
 
2,496 posts, read 3,515,247 times
Reputation: 1442
I'm going to disagree with a few people here....first South Carolina beach communities are pretty humid, at least in the southern part near Hilton Head. Also very pricy as you get south of the Charleston area. Myrtle Beach is similar to southeastern NC, however...THAT is a tourist trap.

I don't categorize NC beaches as tourist traps because 1)They are mostly homes and 2)Because there are a lot of full timers living there. The one exception may be the Outer Banks which is night and day different in summer and winter. Although its not a bad place to live.

I would focus more on the quieter beach communities...I personally like Emerald Isle for value. Topsail Island is seeing more and more full time development because folks can be closer to Wilmington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2015, 04:27 PM
 
Location: Louisville, KY
1,591 posts, read 3,967,811 times
Reputation: 1353
I live on the north edge of Wilmington. This town gets busy in the summer, but nothing like Wildwood or other big jersey vacation destinations. The best part of being in my area is avoiding the summer traffic. Everything I need is close by so I don't need to deal with the "i'm at the beach and on vaction. Nothing bad could possibly happen to me!" drivers.

I also work from home using a pretty bandwidth intensive remote access program. My Time Warner internet is pretty reliable. I've lived here for a year now working 40+ hours a week from home and only had about 5 hours of downtime because of my internet connection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2015, 07:25 PM
 
Location: Princeton, NJ
3 posts, read 3,265 times
Reputation: 10
Default original poster

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Hoping i can remember some of the questions embedded in your responses! First and foremost, i grew up on the Jersey shore so i'm no stranger to heat and humidity. I grew up in Toms River, which was hit pretty hard by Superstorm Sandy. I guess that's where my concern regarding hurricane damage stems from. I've been living in Princeton, NJ for about 10 years. The taxes here are quite high. I pay $8,000 for a 2 bedroom town house. That's in addition to HOA fees and home owners insurance. Many of the utilities are quite high as well. And should we even discuss the congestion/traffic situation? I commute 38 miles each way to work...which on good day takes at least an hour! It's not all bad though. Princeton is absolutely BEAUTIFUL and a town that will be difficult to leave behind.

As for my budget, i probably would not want to exceed ~$600K. I have my heart set on an ocean front stand alone house. Doesn't necessarily have to be a mansion, but big enough for friends/family who would like to visit. Would prefer something more remote but again, my job would depend on reliable internet connection.

A fixer- upper would definitely be an option as i'm not a stranger to home renovations. Anything with structural damage would probably not be a great idea... Were many of the beach properties damaged from Sandy???

If i'm looking for a more remote location, i'm guessing i should avoid the kitty hawk area? What about Corolla? Have received alot of positive feedback on Emerald isle....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2015, 07:40 PM
 
Location: Southport
4,639 posts, read 4,995,618 times
Reputation: 3438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie08540 View Post
Thanks everyone for your feedback. Hoping i can remember some of the questions embedded in your responses! First and foremost, i grew up on the Jersey shore so i'm no stranger to heat and humidity. I grew up in Toms River, which was hit pretty hard by Superstorm Sandy. I guess that's where my concern regarding hurricane damage stems from. I've been living in Princeton, NJ for about 10 years. The taxes here are quite high. I pay $8,000 for a 2 bedroom town house. That's in addition to HOA fees and home owners insurance. Many of the utilities are quite high as well. And should we even discuss the congestion/traffic situation? I commute 38 miles each way to work...which on good day takes at least an hour! It's not all bad though. Princeton is absolutely BEAUTIFUL and a town that will be difficult to leave behind.

As for my budget, i probably would not want to exceed ~$600K. I have my heart set on an ocean front stand alone house. Doesn't necessarily have to be a mansion, but big enough for friends/family who would like to visit. Would prefer something more remote but again, my job would depend on reliable internet connection.

A fixer- upper would definitely be an option as i'm not a stranger to home renovations. Anything with structural damage would probably not be a great idea... Were many of the beach properties damaged from Sandy???

If i'm looking for a more remote location, i'm guessing i should avoid the kitty hawk area? What about Corolla? Have received alot of positive feedback on Emerald isle....
$600K will get you on the ocean in some places. I don't know a lot about the specifics of OBX prices, so I can't speak to that, but yes Corolla or Ocracoke certainly offer some solitude, although again, any oceanfront is going to attract tourists. I suspect you are really talking about the nature of the community itself, though, and you will find many NC beaches not commercially developed like NJ, but mostly just consist of houses and a small amount of retail/restaurant development. In addition to Corolla and Ocracoke, Emerald Isle might be a possibility (its pretty busy during the summer), as is Topsail Beach, Carolina Beach/Kure Beach (probably too touristy), Oak Island (ditto), Holden Beach, Sunset Beach.

Sandy didn't do any damage here. The main thing to look out for is beach erosion...try to make sure you buy on a relative stable beach, or as stable as a barrier island can be. Parts of Topsail and Oak Island are literally washing away and taking houses with them. Make sure the house can be rebuilt if a storm does take it away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2015, 10:21 PM
 
2,825 posts, read 7,521,197 times
Reputation: 2883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie08540 View Post
Thanks everyone for your feedback. Hoping i can remember some of the questions embedded in your responses! First and foremost, i grew up on the Jersey shore so i'm no stranger to heat and humidity. I grew up in Toms River, which was hit pretty hard by Superstorm Sandy. I guess that's where my concern regarding hurricane damage stems from. I've been living in Princeton, NJ for about 10 years. The taxes here are quite high. I pay $8,000 for a 2 bedroom town house. That's in addition to HOA fees and home owners insurance. Many of the utilities are quite high as well. And should we even discuss the congestion/traffic situation? I commute 38 miles each way to work...which on good day takes at least an hour! It's not all bad though. Princeton is absolutely BEAUTIFUL and a town that will be difficult to leave behind.

As for my budget, i probably would not want to exceed ~$600K. I have my heart set on an ocean front stand alone house. Doesn't necessarily have to be a mansion, but big enough for friends/family who would like to visit. Would prefer something more remote but again, my job would depend on reliable internet connection.

A fixer- upper would definitely be an option as i'm not a stranger to home renovations. Anything with structural damage would probably not be a great idea... Were many of the beach properties damaged from Sandy???

If i'm looking for a more remote location, i'm guessing i should avoid the kitty hawk area? What about Corolla? Have received alot of positive feedback on Emerald isle....

Marie08540,

We are from Princeton Jct NJ and planning to move to Sunset Beach in the next couple of years.

Can't help you much where you are looking in the Corolla/Emerald Isle area.

Just want to let you know that nothing about the NC coastal region will be like Princeton.

The humidity on the Jersey shore pales in comparisn to the NC coast.

Anyway, take a look a little further south to Sunset Beach, fewer tourists, closer to N Myrtle Beach/Wilmington and our favourite beaches.

Good luck with your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2015, 02:58 PM
 
2,496 posts, read 3,515,247 times
Reputation: 1442
If I had 600K and was looking to move to the coast, I'd probably just settle for waterfront, not worry about oceanfront.

Consider that NC CAMA setback regs continue to get stronger along the coast, requiring more and more setback...also consider that NC has a long history "against" groins and such, which means the sand will move..no seawalls. Finally, the Feds are continuing to cutback on beach re-nourishment money so the beach in front of your home may wash away or you may be charged through your local taxes more and more to keep it there.

I think houses on the Intercoastal Waterway (that are in flood compliance) are the way to go. You don't have to worry about the beach eroding, but still have beautiful waterfront and can have a dock, boat, etc...which you can not do along the Ocean.

I have thrown out the Shipwatch community near Carolina Beach as an example...check houses for sale there along the water when you are comparing w/ beach properties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2015, 12:32 PM
 
577 posts, read 969,214 times
Reputation: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
If I had 600K and was looking to move to the coast, I'd probably just settle for waterfront, not worry about oceanfront.

Consider that NC CAMA setback regs continue to get stronger along the coast, requiring more and more setback...also consider that NC has a long history "against" groins and such, which means the sand will move..no seawalls. Finally, the Feds are continuing to cutback on beach re-nourishment money so the beach in front of your home may wash away or you may be charged through your local taxes more and more to keep it there.

I think houses on the Intercoastal Waterway (that are in flood compliance) are the way to go. You don't have to worry about the beach eroding, but still have beautiful waterfront and can have a dock, boat, etc...which you can not do along the Ocean.

I have thrown out the Shipwatch community near Carolina Beach as an example...check houses for sale there along the water when you are comparing w/ beach properties.
I have to agree - we plan on moving in a few years to NC from South Jersey (Mt. Laurel) and if nothing else, I know there are plantation communities (that's what they call developments down there) that are right on the intercoastal waterway that are much cheaper than 'oceanfront' and just as beautiful....St. James Plantation comes to mind, but I know others like "Rivers Edge' is one, too. Good Luck!! PS - I work in Princeton!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top