Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2015, 09:34 AM

4 posts, read 9,526 times

Advertisements

Hi all can anyone give me some information about the Jacksonville NC area, I moved to Raleigh from Boston but do not like the Raleigh area, its just too much of a big city and I was looking for a small city vibe with the ocean being about 1 hr drive away. but I also like living around a lot of trees I'm a nature person and would appreciate any feedback about the area in regards to schools. also is Jacksonville close to Charlotte?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 02:37 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,011,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auset View Post
Hi all can anyone give me some information about the Jacksonville NC area, I moved to Raleigh from Boston but do not like the Raleigh area, its just too much of a big city and I was looking for a small city vibe with the ocean being about 1 hr drive away. but I also like living around a lot of trees I'm a nature person and would appreciate any feedback about the area in regards to schools. also is Jacksonville close to Charlotte?
The answer to the last question as to whether Jacksonville is close to Charlotte makes me think you do not know how to use a map. No, Charlotte is in the opposite direction from Raleigh, and about 4.5 hours away from Jacksonville.

I understand the feeling that Raleigh is too large. I live in Sneads Ferry, a small town near Jacksonville. However, on the whole, I would not recommend that anyone move to Jacksonville unless they had to. Jacksonville is safe but boring. The city economy is dominated by the Marine Corps. The landscape and buildings are totally lacking in charm. The amenities and the school system are totally average.

If you tell us what kind of job you would need to find, we can help you find a better location. For example, if youy do medical work, you might fit in Greenville, Washington or New Bern. Wilmington is also a very interesting and charming city for its size.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:32 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,237,786 times
Quote:
No, Jacksonville isn't anywhere near Charlotte. Jacksonville is nothing more than a podunk military town. I'd stay put in Raleigh if I were you, especially since you like trees. The ground is flat and boring in Jacksonville. It lacks Raleigh's rolling hills and pretty landscape.

Last edited by escapenc; 01-09-2015 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: forgot

Old 01-25-2015, 08:18 AM

4 posts, read 9,526 times
Wink Moving from Raleigh

Hi all thank you for all the replies, I'm in the medical field btw and I did visit Greenville, while the people was very nice, I just was not feeling the vibes there. I did go to Wilmington and liked it there. Raleigh is nice as in location, location. you can't beat being within minutes to hospitals, schools, supermarket and lakes lake Wheeler park is a joy. but the overall big city feel with the drugs, gangs and yes I know that's everywhere, but I have 4 children one of them being a teenager, and lets just say I have had more than my share of pulling my hair out, with her getting involved with the riff raff crew. I just wanted somewhere closer to the ocean as I'm also a metaphysical counselor. to the person who said I don't know how to use a map your right terrible I know, my 12 yr old and 16 yr old knows how to use one, they are usually the copilots of trips. I also considered Shelby NC, but its too far away from the ocean. their are some great places here outside Raleigh like Knightdale, Garner, Wendell which I fell in love with all the tree and nature areas ahh oh well I will just check out Wilmington and may move. I'm a small town kinda woman and big cities just don't do it for me, and I did not know about Raleigh I just randomly picked it. so basically I will be doing more research before moving again. Thank you all.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:54 AM

183 posts, read 326,466 times
Have you considered New Bern area?40 minutes from the beach

Old 01-25-2015, 10:50 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,319 times
Quote:
Hi all thank you for all the replies, I'm in the medical field btw and I did visit Greenville, while the people was very nice, I just was not feeling the vibes there. I did go to Wilmington and liked it there. Raleigh is nice as in location, location. you can't beat being within minutes to hospitals, schools, supermarket and lakes lake Wheeler park is a joy. but the overall big city feel with the drugs, gangs and yes I know that's everywhere, but I have 4 children one of them being a teenager, and lets just say I have had more than my share of pulling my hair out, with her getting involved with the riff raff crew. I just wanted somewhere closer to the ocean as I'm also a metaphysical counselor. to the person who said I don't know how to use a map your right terrible I know, my 12 yr old and 16 yr old knows how to use one, they are usually the copilots of trips. I also considered Shelby NC, but its too far away from the ocean. their are some great places here outside Raleigh like Knightdale, Garner, Wendell which I fell in love with all the tree and nature areas ahh oh well I will just check out Wilmington and may move. I'm a small town kinda woman and big cities just don't do it for me, and I did not know about Raleigh I just randomly picked it. so basically I will be doing more research before moving again. Thank you all.
One of the most erroneous assumptions I see on here is that small towns don't have the crime of larger cities in NC. The days of Andy Griffith are long gone. Many of these small towns have unbelievable levels of crime for their size. The fact that many of the peoples' livelihoods have disappeared with outsourcing have left them in a despondent mire of drugs and hopelessness.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:06 AM

3,080 posts, read 4,851,029 times
I second the New Bern idea. It's 45 minutes to the beach and has enough to get you by.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:26 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,011,367 times
Quote:
but the overall big city feel with the drugs, gangs and yes I know that's everywhere.... oh well I will just check out Wilmington and may move. I'm a small town kinda woman
Note that Wilmington also has its share of drugs and gangs. Additionally, all of the small towns in Eastern NC will have a share of people involved in methamphetamine. Even in Sneads Ferry there have been a couple of meth labs busted, and we know someone who was a heroin addict.

You just do what you can to protect your kids. If you locate a job in Wilmington, you might look into Hampstead, Surf City or the Belville/Southport area. Just remember not to expect your ideal small town.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:43 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,812,025 times
Quote:
A. Get out a map of NC
B. Find Jacksonville
C. Find Charlotte
D. Note the mileage between them.

Once you can answer your own question in this way, and prove to us you have done some research on where you are thinking of moving, get back to us.

PS Jacksonville is a military town and one of the last places I would imagine to have good schools, with the transient population. How on earth did Jacksonville get on your radar when you clearly know nothing about it?

Old 02-10-2015, 11:10 PM

18 posts, read 38,359 times
Wow, what's up with all these snide and sarcastic remarks? Let's all play nice.

Jacksonville is not the ideal place to be. It's the Marine Corps headquarters, nothing more nothing less. Most people who live in Jacksonville are desperate to leave, and have an inaccurate portrait of the entire state painted because of it. I lived in Southport for about three years. It's a beautiful small neighborhood with southern charm, but it's also becoming incredibly congested for a town of its size. Crime is also becoming increasingly prevalent.

Have you considered the towns bordering Wilmington? You'd be away from the hustle and bustle but also a short ride away. There are some smaller towns between Jacksonville and Wilmington that you might consider, like Hampstead, but I can't give you enough information about those areas.

New Bern might also be another place to look at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina