U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 12:47 PM

2 posts, read 5,222 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone has input on the Ghent neighborhood in New Bern. We're coming back to NC and SC in a few weeks to do research for possible relocation. My husband and I both work from home. We're total homebodies. We have an 18-year-old that is currently working at FedEx unloading trucks, and he would like the same type of job. Is this an area that you pay city AND county taxes or utilities or whatever it is that everyone is complaining about concerning New Bern? Any constructive thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Also, is this the hottest/most humid part of the state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 01:31 PM

11,250 posts, read 19,768,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleoc View Post
Is this an area that you pay city AND county taxes or utilities or whatever it is that everyone is complaining about concerning New Bern? ......
Also, is this the hottest/most humid part of the state?
Yes, Ghent is within the city limits of New Bern. It has the higher taxes and utility bills. However, if you like historic areas, it could be good for you. I have enjoyed the amenities in New Bern. I suggest contacting one of the realtors which specialized.

The C-D profile has the city limits outlined in red: http://www.city-data.com/city/New-Be...-Carolina.html

And, no, it is not the hottest or most humid area in North Carolina. People say the hottest are is the Sandhills. However, any area beside a river is going to be humid in summer.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:23 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,742,906 times
We looked at Ghent several years ago. We ended up in Riverside, another historic district. Though Riverside is near some grim areas, I thought it had a much better upside than Ghent. We know folks that live in Ghent and they like it. Kind of a two street area, pretty cool actually, but I like being near the river.

Living in New Bern subjects you to VERY VERY high electrical rates. If you live in a historic home (for instance in GHENT) good chance you will have little or no insulation and take it from me, I have seen the wrong side of $900 a month more than once!

Good Luck. I would not live in New Bern in other than historic area. The downtown area is really nice, but folks that own homes their are very proud of them, if you know what I mean.

jim cox

Old 02-12-2015, 04:40 PM

11,419 posts, read 20,250,102 times
OMG!! I love the style of homes in Ghent - $900/mo.!! I'm currently in Alex. Va. but looking to move - I can't even imagine that kind of a utility bill (and this house here isn't well insulated - I like it cooler than many but that kind of a bill would bankrupt me!

Old 02-12-2015, 05:04 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,649,473 times
I also live in New Bern. Last month's electricity bill was over $800! NB's exorbitant electric fees are ridiculous!

Old 02-12-2015, 06:45 PM

19,501 posts, read 17,745,163 times
I also live in New Bern, if you keep your house at a decent temp, mine is kept at 69 in winter and 77 in summer, you don't get extremely high prices. My worst was just over $200 and that included sewer and its for a 1400 sq ft house.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:46 PM

2 posts, read 5,222 times
thank you so much for all the information. I definitely don't want to live where electric bills are so high. I got a year's worth of utility bills for a house that I've been tracking, all around $400, which seems extremely high to me. Good point about the lack of insulation. I'm going to keep doing my research. We're traveling back there next month to wander neighborhoods, etc and get a better feel for things.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:06 PM

11,419 posts, read 20,250,102 times
Not to step on the toes of the person questioning - but I have gas and electric here (really want gas range) - I have gas heat as well - my utilities don't cost that a month added together and I live in a colder environment! - Guess that area is out (I'm very energy conscious or at least try to be) - don't like it too hot nor cold - my house is not well insulated - winter I'm usually okay setting at 60/61 day and 50/51 night - but when it's colder and windier, have to change to more like 61/63 day 52/53/night - still don't pay those rates! Rethinking areas myself.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:25 AM

183 posts, read 240,870 times
Right outside of the city limits there are communities that do not have New Bern utilities and are more of the normal prices people are use to.That is why I will be moving outside of city limits March1

Old 02-13-2015, 05:35 PM

19,501 posts, read 17,745,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Not to step on the toes of the person questioning - but I have gas and electric here (really want gas range) - I have gas heat as well - my utilities don't cost that a month added together and I live in a colder environment! - Guess that area is out (I'm very energy conscious or at least try to be) - don't like it too hot nor cold - my house is not well insulated - winter I'm usually okay setting at 60/61 day and 50/51 night - but when it's colder and windier, have to change to more like 61/63 day 52/53/night - still don't pay those rates! Rethinking areas myself.
Just remember that those who pay high prices usually keep their thermostats high. I know people who have $300 to $400 bills but they keep there homes at 73 to 74 degrees year round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina