U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 05:20 PM

1,826 posts, read 1,354,288 times

Advertisements

Question: In Connecticut, and P/U truck with a GVWR of 7,500# will be registered with a Combination Plate, which in some states, is treated as a Commercial plate with some road restrictions. Does North Carolina have the same type of rules regarding registrations and GVWR ??. I've noticed that a few places I've been researching, do not allow "Commercial" vehicles to be parked within the grounds, unless it's in a garage and out of sight......I've had this issue once before with the CCR's in a complex in New York, and had to sell the vehicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 06:20 PM

99 posts, read 178,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
Question: In Connecticut, and P/U truck with a GVWR of 7,500# will be registered with a Combination Plate, which in some states, is treated as a Commercial plate with some road restrictions. Does North Carolina have the same type of rules regarding registrations and GVWR ??. I've noticed that a few places I've been researching, do not allow "Commercial" vehicles to be parked within the grounds, unless it's in a garage and out of sight......I've had this issue once before with the CCR's in a complex in New York, and had to sell the vehicle
I have a large extended cab pickup. When we moved to NC I was given a choice of plates, I went with regular plates and not the commercial. I've parked in the condos at WRP for the last 6mos. There are a number of folks in WRP with a P/U. We move into our new home in two weeks. I obtained a space in the community corral last week, the fee is $100/yr. I will keep the P/U in the corral instead of my drive way as our cars will occupy the garage. I would not be without a P/U and would not live in a community that would not allow one or did not provide a place to store it if I chose to not keep it on my property. My GVWR is only 3017 lbs.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:50 PM

Thanks for the reply. I also have a 1/2 ton P/U truck extended cab, but will be upgrading to a 3/4 or 1 ton (2500 / 3500) within a years time....these trucks have a GVWR of 7,500 = #. I'll be making a call to NC DMV to get a comfirmation

Old 02-12-2015, 08:05 PM

The folks at NC DMV were easy to work with, very helpful and pleasant.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal1006 View Post
The folks at NC DMV were easy to work with, very helpful and pleasant.
yes, they are. I had dealings with them while trying to help a friend who bought a car with a salvage certificate from Durham, and was trying to register in Connecticut.....they really went above and beyond to help

Old 02-13-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:
yes, they are. I had dealings with them while trying to help a friend who bought a car with a salvage certificate from Durham, and was trying to register in Connecticut.....they really went above and beyond to help
The entire experience of the transition from New England has been a pleasant one. We worked with the DMV office in Shallotte and the folks were wonderful. You may find that with the larger GVWR, of your new truck, you may not have the option of commercial or regular registration. Regardless, if you determine that WRP is the best fit for you, the community is moving forward with plans to expand the corral and you will be able to keep both your truck and camper in your slot, in the corral.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
The entire experience of the transition from New England has been a pleasant one. We worked with the DMV office in Shallotte and the folks were wonderful. You may find that with the larger GVWR, of your new truck, you may not have the option of commercial or regular registration. Regardless, if you determine that WRP is the best fit for you, the community is moving forward with plans to expand the corral and you will be able to keep both your truck and camper in your slot, in the corral.
The truck would be a daily driver......how do they feel about Golf Carts being used within the complex ??

Old 02-13-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
The truck would be a daily driver......how do they feel about Golf Carts being used within the complex ??
In WRP golf carts are used on the golf course. Use of a golf cart in the community is not permitted.

Old 11-13-2018, 04:12 PM

10 posts, read 4,817 times
Quote:
In WRP golf carts are used on the golf course. Use of a golf cart in the community is not permitted.
Is this still true? I thought by-laws say "per NC law" and I thought law now is carts need lights, etc. and roads need to be under 25 MPH limit? Could be wrong..Sorry to dredge up an old thread, just hoping to be able to cruise around in the cart..Thanks

Old 11-13-2018, 05:12 PM

140 posts, read 166,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drgyver View Post
Is this still true? I thought by-laws say "per NC law" and I thought law now is carts need lights, etc. and roads need to be under 25 MPH limit? Could be wrong..Sorry to dredge up an old thread, just hoping to be able to cruise around in the cart..Thanks

Golf carts must be "street legal" according to NC state laws and be registered just like an automobile with NC license plates and proper insurance. You need to check out the requirements with the NC DMV or contact a place that sells the carts or your insurance agent. All vehicles including mopeds; golf carts; trucks and any type of car in WRP are required to pass state inspections, have NC license plates and have proper insurance to be operated on WPR roads.

I think I have only seen two residents with carts in WRP and I think they tow them on their motor homes when they go to Florida for the winter. You just don't see them in WRP. You can't operate private carts on the golf course paths and you are not allowed to walk on the golf course paths. FYI, I would be very careful driving a cart on Zion Hill Road.

Last edited by Mr. Purple 2; 11-13-2018 at 05:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or