U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-15-2015, 12:44 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,074 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

Hello- I am a 55 yo single female, military retiree looking for find a place to retire. I live in the DC area at this time so you can figure out why I want to move south. I am looking for a beach community but am having a difficult time deciding between Florida, NC and SC. I've though about Charleston, Myrtle Beach and Destin though I know there are plenty of other great places out there. I want somewhere where there is cultural activities, restaurants, perhaps theater, along with the possibility of a social life. I am active, love to bike ride, hike, and have 2 dogs I enjoy to be out walking with. I also enjoy horses, gardening, traveling and wineries, or just drinking wine. Proximity to a fairly good size airport is a plus. if you have any idea or input for me it would be most appreciated. I am open to suggestions. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-15-2015, 12:53 PM
 
Location: Southport
4,639 posts, read 4,819,933 times
Reputation: 3417
The Wilmington area is about the only place in NC that meets your criteria. Lots of existing posts on here that you can peruse for more information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2015, 01:28 PM
 
562 posts, read 933,563 times
Reputation: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeidieR View Post
Hello- I am a 55 yo single female, military retiree looking for find a place to retire. I live in the DC area at this time so you can figure out why I want to move south. I am looking for a beach community but am having a difficult time deciding between Florida, NC and SC. I've though about Charleston, Myrtle Beach and Destin though I know there are plenty of other great places out there. I want somewhere where there is cultural activities, restaurants, perhaps theater, along with the possibility of a social life. I am active, love to bike ride, hike, and have 2 dogs I enjoy to be out walking with. I also enjoy horses, gardening, traveling and wineries, or just drinking wine. Proximity to a fairly good size airport is a plus. if you have any idea or input for me it would be most appreciated. I am open to suggestions. Thanks!
Absolutely - Wilmington - get on some sites for that great small city and you will see what I mean. Culture - theatre, historical. I would suggest that. Myrtle is more of a tourist beach town with large high rise places - Charleston woujld be my second choice - more expensive I think???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2015, 02:02 PM
 
Location: NC
1,985 posts, read 2,654,045 times
Reputation: 3090
I'm not a fan of Myrtle Beach. It's slightly improved over the years, but it's just not my cup of tea. It also has a high crime rate.

Wilmington is alright. It offers theater and is charming, but it doesn't compare to Charleston. Wilmington's water is murky and sand is dirty. The traffic is awful for it being such a small city. There really isn't anything "extraordinary" about it.

NONE of the beaches along the NC/SC coast compare to Destin's gorgeous green colored water or sugary sand beaches. NONE. The restaurants, shopping, golf courses, and other amenities are also great.

Charleston is quaint, historic, and charming. Definitely worth looking into for retirement if you budget allows for it.

Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2015, 03:48 PM
LLN
 
Location: Upstairs closet
4,981 posts, read 8,756,621 times
Reputation: 6451
I would strongly recommend Destin or a Florida location.

We are COLD in eastern NC today, and though there are not many days like this, they are awful.

I agree, the beaches around Destin are head and shoulders above what is in NC.

We considered seriously retiring, from military, to Fl, but stayed in NC due to family. If we had a do over....we would be on the Gulf. No brainer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2015, 04:05 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA
11,419 posts, read 20,291,603 times
Reputation: 16495
Have you checked into the retirement forum here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2015, 08:41 AM
 
37,005 posts, read 16,134,598 times
Reputation: 8413
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeidieR View Post
Hello- I am a 55 yo single female, military retiree looking for find a place to retire. I live in the DC area at this time so you can figure out why I want to move south. I am looking for a beach community but am having a difficult time deciding between Florida, NC and SC. I've though about Charleston, Myrtle Beach and Destin though I know there are plenty of other great places out there. I want somewhere where there is cultural activities, restaurants, perhaps theater, along with the possibility of a social life. I am active, love to bike ride, hike, and have 2 dogs I enjoy to be out walking with. I also enjoy horses, gardening, traveling and wineries, or just drinking wine. Proximity to a fairly good size airport is a plus. if you have any idea or input for me it would be most appreciated. I am open to suggestions. Thanks!
The Myrtle beach area fits you to a tee. Check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2015, 08:43 AM
 
37,005 posts, read 16,134,598 times
Reputation: 8413
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
I'm not a fan of Myrtle Beach. It's slightly improved over the years, but it's just not my cup of tea. It also has a high crime rate.

Wilmington is alright. It offers theater and is charming, but it doesn't compare to Charleston. Wilmington's water is murky and sand is dirty. The traffic is awful for it being such a small city. There really isn't anything "extraordinary" about it.

NONE of the beaches along the NC/SC coast compare to Destin's gorgeous green colored water or sugary sand beaches. NONE. The restaurants, shopping, golf courses, and other amenities are also great.

Charleston is quaint, historic, and charming. Definitely worth looking into for retirement if you budget allows for it.

Best of luck!
"It also has a high crime rate."

It is no worse of better then any other place else. Don't worry about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2015, 08:46 AM
 
37,005 posts, read 16,134,598 times
Reputation: 8413
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I would strongly recommend Destin or a Florida location.

We are COLD in eastern NC today, and though there are not many days like this, they are awful.

I agree, the beaches around Destin are head and shoulders above what is in NC.

We considered seriously retiring, from military, to Fl, but stayed in NC due to family. If we had a do over....we would be on the Gulf. No brainer.
So many people have moved to FL and then moved away, for whatever reason, to the Carolina's they have earned a nickname, Halfbacks because many are from the north and move half way back to the north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2015, 09:40 AM
 
Location: SW Corner of CT
1,950 posts, read 1,541,734 times
Reputation: 2438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Have you checked into the retirement forum here?
Where is the "Retirement Forum" ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top