U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2015, 12:16 PM

4 posts, read 5,556 times

Advertisements

Hello, Me and my partner are trying to move down south to NC from NJ, She's going to attend ECU next semester while I'll attend Pitt CC. So we're trying to see what area is best for us .
Things that I would appreciate if someone can answer :

Cost of living : Average rent for 1-2 BR? Jobs? What types of jobs are available , is an AA needed to get a decent job?

Community : Are the people sociable , friendly? Racism , Prejudice/Discrimination ? Crimes?

Social/Recreational events : Any activities to participate? Is it a fun place to be in ?

Thanks in advance .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 12:17 PM

Anyone?

Old 02-17-2015, 12:31 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,808,414 times
Perhaps some of these existing threads may help...

Living in Greenville, NC. What's it like?
Relocating to Greenville- Apartment Hunting!
place to live in greenville, NC
Considering Greenville NC with job in Hamilton need advice
Winterville, NC Cost of Living
Honest advice on Greenville apartments please?

Old 02-17-2015, 12:32 PM

Thank you carolinadawg .

Old 02-17-2015, 12:45 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,038,572 times
Rentals in the Bells Fork Area of Greenville

Old 02-18-2015, 07:25 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,355,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xReMaKe View Post
Hello, Me and my partner are trying to move down south to NC from NJ, She's going to attend ECU next semester while I'll attend Pitt CC. So we're trying to see what area is best for us .
Things that I would appreciate if someone can answer :

Cost of living : Average rent for 1-2 BR? Jobs? What types of jobs are available , is an AA needed to get a decent job?

Community : Are the people sociable , friendly? Racism , Prejudice/Discrimination ? Crimes?

Social/Recreational events : Any activities to participate? Is it a fun place to be in ?

Thanks in advance .
I'll answer.

First. It's not New Jersey. Its Eastern North Carolina. Depending on what you like or don't like about New Jersey, you may like or not like Greenville.

Greenville is a medium size city surrounded by rural small towns, many of them that feed off of Greenville. Its a very affordable city, because it has room to grow. Its also very much a college town, with over 30,000 students within its 100K or so metro area. 33% of its population is black, which is representative of its roots as a tobacco center in Eastern NC. Greenville is a growing city because it is increasingly a regional city, drawing in population from the rural surroundings and because it has higher wage jobs in education and medicine that draw folks in from around the state and other states. It is within a few hours to most of the coast of NC and about an hour and a half from the Raleigh/Durham area which is a large metro center, but nothing like New York or Philly when it comes to cultural activities (like someone from NJ is used to).

Much of Greenville is service oriented jobs besides the Medical and Educational jobs. People are generally nice and there are students there from all over the east coast and all over NC. Crime is gradually going down, but there tends to be some crime because of its regional nature and it is surrounded by some really poor areas.

In terms of fun, its a college town, so if you like that environment, its fun. ECU oriented stuff (like college football games on fall Saturdays). You would have to go to Raleigh for big concerts and such, just like you would have to go to NY or Philly in NJ. Beach trips are fun as well.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:34 AM

@Hp91 Thanks for posting .

One last question I have , How are the jobs outside of the medical field ?
In Jersey I've worked at different warehouses making anywhere around 15, I know NC the cost of living is a lot cheaper but are their jobs that pay around the same ? 12+? Or are the only good/decent jobs for those in the medical field?

Old 02-21-2015, 01:53 PM

5,417 posts, read 5,399,546 times
We relocated from NJ 11 yrs. ago. One thing I will say is not to come down here without a job. You would probably be able to get a pt position in Lowe's, & they will works around your school schedule. The starting pay is around $12.00-$15.00/hr. with benefits even as a part timer. There are a lot of restaurant jobs, since this is a College town. You can check on apts. in the Winterville area too.

You can't compare the two States, they are totally different, as No. & So. Jersey are. For the exception of rents & real estate being less, everything else is the same. IMO food is more expensive.

It is a beautiful area and expect change. You will be as accepted as you want to be. You are thinking of changing your lifestyle, & in doing so leave your mind set of what you had in NJ back there. Come down and investigate the area for a weekend, meet people and ask questions. I hope you have the outcome we did.

Last edited by kelsie; 02-21-2015 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: added text

Old 02-22-2015, 10:41 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,355,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xReMaKe View Post
@Hp91 Thanks for posting .

One last question I have , How are the jobs outside of the medical field ?
In Jersey I've worked at different warehouses making anywhere around 15, I know NC the cost of living is a lot cheaper but are their jobs that pay around the same ? 12+? Or are the only good/decent jobs for those in the medical field?
Well consider that the jobs in NC aren't inflated by unions. So expect to get less than what you get in NJ.

The medical field has the best jobs, but that's pretty much the same across the country. If you have specific skills it will help, but just a random warehouse job that anyone can do, I wouldn't categorize that as a good paying job. There is plenty of competition for those jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina