U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 12:19 PM

23 posts, read 111,485 times

Advertisements

Anyone no anything about Moyock NC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 02:02 PM

1 posts, read 3,240 times
I live in Moyock. What would you like to know?

Old 01-10-2008, 07:22 PM

325 posts, read 1,028,067 times
I am sooo glad someone started this post ! I would love to live in the Moyock area!

What are the people like in Moyock? My husband and I either want affordable land to put a modular on or buy a house. We currently live in Ky and the prices around Va Beach are crazy! What kind of shopping is there?

How much do utilities run? what are the utility company names? Weather? Have you ever been in a hurricane? What to expect?

Thanks!

Old 01-11-2008, 12:23 PM

Default Outer Banks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Currituckgirl View Post
I live in Moyock. What would you like to know?
Why do the people there keep refering to themselves as living in the Outer Banks when they are miles from there?

Old 01-11-2008, 12:27 PM

Default ????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by centre View Post
I am sooo glad someone started this post ! I would love to live in the Moyock area!

What are the people like in Moyock? My husband and I either want affordable land to put a modular on or buy a house. We currently live in Ky and the prices around Va Beach are crazy! What kind of shopping is there?

How much do utilities run? what are the utility company names? Weather? Have you ever been in a hurricane? What to expect?

Thanks!
I have visited my daughter who moved there and still trying to figure out what she likes there. Out side of the Southland there isnt anything else there.But she says the taxes are great and homes are a lot cheaper than Virginia.
I dont like the Kennedy's but I love New England.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:35 PM

144 posts, read 608,845 times
Talking I Love Moyock!!

I've lived in Moyock for just over 10 years now and I too love it here. I love it because it is rural and it's growing. I love the people because they are, for the most part, friendly and accepting of all kinds of people. This is because many of the people are from all over and have moved here for one reason or another. We have a great mixture.

The Outerbanks (OBX) thing. The reason most people from Currituck county say that we are from the OBX is because, first of all, part of Currituck county (Corolla) is on the northern end of the OBX. Everyone loves and knows of the obx and so we identify ourselves as being from there because it sounds cool ("I'm from the Outerbanks!" "Wow, I love it there.") and it is partially true.
While it's true that Moyock technically is not on the obx we still like to think that we are somehow tied to it since part of our county is on the obx. It's kind of like someone acting like they know a certain celebrity because they bumped into them at the mall even though they never actually spoke to them and wouldn't even be remembered by them. Let us enjoy our fantasy. Although I'm sure there are some in the county who hate to be thought of as obxers. They relish the fact that the majority of the county is not in the obx and would be offended that I would suggest that, that is anyone's fantasy in Currituck. To them I apologize! Yet, I still love it here.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:59 PM

Talking I Love Moyock!!

I moved to Moyock just before Food Lion moved in. If you are used to and prefer bigger towns with shopping choices and nightlife you may find Moyock a little too rural for your tastes. We have one grocery store (mentioned above), a BK , and a Sonic, we've recently acquired an Advanced Auto and a Dominoes Pizza. There's a Hardee's, a DQ, a Zero's, and a Chinese and Mexican Restaurant. We have a new little place called Tim Dogs, and Java Deli, a Taylor's Do-It Center, and someone even opened a Coffee Shop called Coffee Cabana. Southland is an old faithful Restaurant with some of the best Carolina BBQ around and a tasty freeze/souvenir shop next to it. There's a Veterinarian Hospital, a workout gym, a baseball batting cage, several used car lots and a custom/antique hotrod shop, a carwash, and even a Sherwin Williams, a Curves, a Doctor, Pharmacy, and a Dentist. Yet there is really no community in the town. It's kind of just a rural area that's being over run with newcomers. All accounts say, from a few years ago , that we are only a 6-8k pop. town but the 2010 census will say that we have in fact broken the 10k barrier. I love the town but I do wish it had a better since of community and since of identity.
I forgot to mention we have a elementary school and a new one being built, a middle school, and a high school slated for 2010. We're up and coming.

We're the "ruralist" small city you'll ever visit. Have I said I love it here?

Anything else you'd like to know?

Old 01-16-2008, 06:49 AM

Thumbs up I Love Moyock!!

I just realized as I was reading back over my posts from yesterday that "Buzz" is listed as a junior member which I'm guessing means that you are under 18. Therefore I can understand why you would not like Moyock very much. There is really nothing here for teens except for a couple of sports programs and a few Church youth groups. Most of the teens that live here become board quickly with this place. Although during the summer going to the beach is usually a big thing for some and others enjoy going to the malls in Virginia. In Moyock proper though there just isn't much unless they get a summer job. Which many cannot do until they turn 16. Lots of them spend many hours glued to the P3 or Wii or something else. For many families though they tend to like it better, parents work in VA and kids go to school and school related activities and everyone is happy. Most of the teens that grow up here tolerate it okay because they have little to compare it to, but those that grow up in other places and move here have a harder time adjusting. Adults tend to like the slower pace of rural life and teens tend to find it boring.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:18 PM

2 posts, read 7,664 times
Junior member means that the member is new and has few posts. I am a "junior member" and trust me I am FAR from 18!! LOL!

Old 01-18-2008, 08:58 AM

Ooops! my bad! Sorry Buzz. Moyockmom I sure you still look 18 though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina