U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 04:31 PM

1,590 posts, read 3,881,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I vote for this. The NC coastal area is huge.
yeah, it's about a 5 hour drive from the north side of this region to the south. Makes it tough to stay interested. I found myself using the forum way more when i lived in Phoenix where the coverage footprint of the forum was tighter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 05:28 PM

11,419 posts, read 20,274,985 times
Exactly! I really like the Northern Virginia forum (it's more region specific - plus I live there) - but it's ACTIVE and easy to find.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:29 AM

32 posts, read 38,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Thanks everyone - I mostly just wanted to read general conversations about "things" - traffic, shopping, crime, parks, whatever to get a feel for the people and the area.
People complain a lot about traffic here. It gets congested in certain areas at specific times of the day; during the summer, beach traffic can get annoying. I have a feeling that coming from NoVa, you'd laugh at what people refer to here as "bad traffic"!

Lots of shopping, from major chain retailers to interesting, unique boutiques and gift shops. Looking for something specific?

Crime is spotty. Depends on where you are. Downtown can get rowdy on the weekends. Wilmington has a reputation as being a high crime area - and it's true in certain communities - but there are plenty of safe and quiet areas too. I have two children and never felt like we weren't safe in our neighborhood. If you're looking for crime information for specific residential areas, this website may be useful: http://spotcrime.com/nc/wilmington

Tons of parks here (over 40 in Wilmington alone!) and for all types of uses. There are dog parks, if you're a dog owner. If you have children, many parks have playgrounds. Lots of parks have special programs. Tons of parks info here: http://www.wilmingtonnc.gov/Portals/...arks_Guide.pdf

Hope this helps!

Old 02-27-2015, 10:35 AM

Thanks JFBR!

Old 03-04-2015, 01:43 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,858,033 times
Um, hello, Flamigo13, what are you doing down here in NC? I'm telling on you to our local NoVa crowd!

Wilmington is a great town. I call it an "appetizer and dessert" town, because it's fantastic in your 20's and 60's+ (retirement). Hard to make a main course though due to job market, but can be done. Won't get rich and might not retire, but if you love what you do and where you do it, why retire? That's the appeal of Wilmington for many of the "locals". I lived in Wilmington for nearly a decade. My wife is from Wilmington. Best time of my life to be honest. Had to leave for the "main course" however. But, when I'm ready for dessert, you'll find me and my wife back home in Wilmington, where I hope to ride out the rest of my years as an associate professor at the business school of UNCW, and puttering around the ICW on my 19' Whaler, making trades with the local shrimpers as they're pulling them out fresh. That's my goal.

Funny thing about Wilmington, once you've "felt it", you kind've already know where you want to end up. Sometimes you have leave it, to really get it. For a person like me and what I do, you have to bring your own opportunity with you.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:54 PM

LOL @ NC211 - I need to sell my house this year and am seriously thinking of Wilmington for relocation. I (well late husband) have family in New Bern - while they have a nice place and I love Emerald Isle!! New Bern isn't for me.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:35 AM

53 posts, read 44,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I'm thinking of relocating to Wilmington and I'm surprised that there isn't an active board/thread - do not many in the area post? I really am looking for insight into people in the area, things to do, what's happening, etc.
I've lived in Wilmington for 25 years and wonder why so many people keep coming here. For those who have the $$$ to live wherever they want, there are plenty of nice areas. Wilmington has a rich history and tourism is an industry of it's own. While the locals seem to think, at times, that the downtown area is of primary importance, the city still has a way to go with cleaning up some areas. There's a stark contrast between clean modern buildings and those which ought to come down. In my experience, there are just a few neighborhoods to avoid, but overall, it's quite a friendly place. I'd be happy to converse via e-mail with anyone who wants details.

Please keep in mind that Wilmington occasionally has snow, and hurricanes come through. We tend to live at a slower pace than people in the north. I happen to live in a rural area and love it.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:48 AM

35 posts, read 53,307 times
Wilmington is expected to increase in population by about 50-60 thousand over the next ten years. Any businesses catering to the needs of an aging population should do real well here, because seems like the area is growing rapidly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or