U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 08:00 AM

1,590 posts, read 3,882,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by red2006rn View Post
Hi. I have been offered a position at NHRMC to start in July. What do you think of it so far? What have you found to be good/bad? I'm coming from another state entirely, but do have quite a few years of experience in both nursing and respiratory. However, the salary they offered was still considerably low compared to what I make now and that was after I negotiated. I'm just not sure that it's worth it. Can you help?
they do not offer competitive salaries. I was getting a procedure done a few weeks back and the tech mentioned being at a meeting with the CEO. The CEO said he can pay less because the facility is at the beach. Since they are the only facility in a reasonable commute from Wilmington they have no competition to drive salaries up. what they offered is what you'll get with meek raises annually. Even the shift diffs are substantially lower than other areas.

Wilmington and surrounding area is nice, depressed but nice. but if you are looking to optimize your salary you may want to consider other areas. If you've made you money and are approaching retirement, it's a great place to work.

I've read reports that Grand Strand in Myrtle Beach pays around $10 an hour more than NHRMC, but that place is way too tourist infested for me to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 08:53 AM

11,261 posts, read 19,805,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny536 View Post
they do not offer competitive salaries. I was getting a procedure done a few weeks back and the tech mentioned being at a meeting with the CEO. The CEO said he can pay less because the facility is at the beach.....
Wow, that is blatant. Supply and demand is at work. If one person doesn't want the job, someone else will in order to live near the beach.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:59 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,817,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Wow, that is blatant. Supply and demand is at work. If one person doesn't want the job, someone else will in order to live near the beach.
Lots of people accept a "beach discount". I did. (not a nurse)

Old 05-27-2015, 03:09 PM

1,590 posts, read 3,882,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
yeah. I'm repeating what was repeated to me, so who knows how blunt the actual phrasing was...

it's sort of supply and demand. they do get people that come here, but they also need to keep a lot of traveling nurses (ie temps) and they continue to up call hours for people on staff. People that come from somewhere else quickly realize living at the beach isn't worth the pay cut and move on.

We took the rate, but we don't plan to be here for the rest of our lives either. I feel sorry for those born and raised here, they are the ones that really get hurt by the "beach discount"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina