U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2015, 10:06 AM

11 posts, read 57,268 times

Advertisements

Good morning ... Just returned from North Carolina's Crystal Coast, after initially visiting this beautiful area back in April, 2014. This time we specifically travelled to determine if we want to retire there. We spent six days exploring Swansboro, Cape Carteret, Morehead City and nearby areas as well; and looked at several subdivisions. Really liked the Brandywine subdivision in Morehead City. We loved Emerald Isle, but way too $$$ for our budget. We also liked all Morehead City offers. Nice shopping centers with great grocery stores like Harris Teeter, and familiar establishments like Five Guys Burgers and Fries, Olive Garden, Panera's, Bed Bath & Beyond, TJ Maxx, and while they don't have a Macy's, did like NC's Belk. We also liked the modern, medical, urgent care, dental and vision facilities located along Route 24, and Highway 70. While the daytime temps hovered around the upper 20s and 30s, and in the single digits at night, locals informed us those temps were highly unusual for that middle February time of the year. We thoroughly enjoyed the area, and hope to relocate to retire there sometime later this year. By the way, my hubby (a Connecticut Yankee) felt very comfortable in that area, as he is a former Army Viet Nam Vet and there were lots of military retirees there, so he'd definitely join a VFW post and get involved. Would love to hear back from anyone retired and living in that Crystal Coast area (particularly if you're from New Hampshire like us); what subdivisions do you live in; how are you enjoying your retirement there; Swansboro vs. Morehead City?; how have you adjusted to the relocation, i.e., weather, people in general, is it easy to make new friends, what about the cost of living as it compared to New England in general, utilities, property taxes, etc., etc. Very grateful for you taking the time to respond ... thank you so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 01:14 PM

11,250 posts, read 19,764,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal1Lady View Post
Would love to hear back from anyone retired and living in that Crystal Coast area (particularly if you're from New Hampshire like us); what subdivisions do you live in; how are you enjoying your retirement there; Swansboro vs. Morehead City?; how have you adjusted to the relocation, i.e., weather, people in general, is it easy to make new friends, what about the cost of living as it compared to New England in general, utilities, property taxes, etc., etc.
As a former New Englander now retired in Sneads Ferry I can offer a few relevant comments.

I think you will find people to be generally more open and friendly than in New England. However, most of our friends are also transplants.

I think you will find property taxes are very reasonable. But please investigate the cost of homeowner's insurance. With the wind and hail coverage (AKA hurricane coverage), we pay $2400/year for homeowner's. Our property tax bill is $1900/year.

Utilities are not a great bargain compared to where we were in Maryland: water and sewer bills are higher. However, if you are paying for heating oil in New Hampshire, you will save a lot on winter heating bills. We have a larger house, and our winter electric bill was $330 for the heat pump. Summer electric bills for A/C go up to $260, but the spring and fall months are much less. (Heat pumps do not work efficiently in single digit temperatures, and there is no other option except to supplement with propane. We haven't received the February bill yet. )

The hardest thing to get used to is the mosquitoes in the summer. If you expect to be outdoors a lot in summer, you might want to have your lot sprayed. It is also very nice to have a screened porch.

If I had to choose between Morehead City and Swansboro, I would pick Morehead City. MC has more shopping and is further away from the noises at Camp Lejeune. On the whole, I think you would enjoy retirement on the Crystal Coast.

Last edited by goldenage1; 03-02-2015 at 01:33 PM..

Old 03-03-2015, 06:14 AM

4,956 posts, read 2,196,692 times
I am sure you can find a nice place almost anywhere in coastal NC. I would think about what you are looking for in retirement. How do you want to spend your time? MHC is probably the best boating area in NC, power and paddle. Oriental is not far away and is the sailing capitol. MHC proclaims to the fishing capitol and no doubt, there are plenty of opportunists and places to fish.

Keep in mind the area is primarily a summer beach destination. I found it does not cater to as much to retirees as other areas in NC, for instance, Southport. The population is more transient. This are certainly year round residents and activities but it may take some time to get integrated. In January and February the area is kind of bleak.

There is a fairly strong military population, primarily the marine core.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:58 AM

11,250 posts, read 19,764,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
This are certainly year round residents and activities but it may take some time to get integrated.
I meant to mention, that the two retired couples I know in the Crystal Coast are North Carolina natives from other parts of the state. Other areas like Leland and Southport in Brunswick County are more popular with people from the northeastern US. It will help with meeting people if you join a golf or boating club, or participate in civic or church activities. Meet people on their home ground, in other words.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:07 PM

1,676 posts, read 5,354,464 times
I have lived in Mhd for almost 35 years. In fact, I'm just a few miles away from the above mentioned Brandywine. Mhd and the area is a great place for retirees. In fact, the area is gearing more and more in that direction with its plethora of medical facilities, pharmacy's and in the midst of a $50 million hospital expansion.
My mother, who is a 80 year old retiree lives in Beaufort and wouldn't live anywhere else besides Carteret County.
Mosquitoes really are not a problem. If they seem like they are becoming one Mhd city will send out trucks at night to take care of it.
The coast of NC offers a wide range of opportunities. I chose Mhd.
God Bless!
Bill

Old 07-04-2019, 11:52 AM

18 posts, read 49,554 times
Several years later after coming across This post, we are also looking in the same areas. Hubby has to have a boat lift in yard!

Looking near Snead’s Ferry, Pamlico, Belhaven, Oriental, etc, until I started looking at demographic sites. Crime seems to be really high near Washington, Cartaret County, Pamlico, a bit less, but still over US averages.

Have y’all found this to be true? Prices are really nice near Bath, NC, but that’s close to Washington, with, supposedly high crime.

To the OP, where did you guys end up settling down? We’re original Staten Islanders, but have been in north ATL burbs for 31 years.

Thanks in advance for any info!
K

Old 07-04-2019, 02:22 PM

10,670 posts, read 11,292,569 times
If you're interested in Little Washington you might like to read through this thread if you haven't already:
Washington, NC ~ A Perspective

Old 07-04-2019, 02:49 PM

18 posts, read 49,554 times
Thanks!
K
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina