U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 05:42 PM

4 posts, read 6,070 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I recently applied to a job transfer in Morehead City, NC.
I will be relocating from Syracuse, New York. Its been winter since November 15th. We are currently buried in 4ft of snow, banks of snow are creeping the 8ft height. I am fearing they won't melt until the end of July.
I cannot take another New York winter!
The weather, beaches, and economics are drawing me to Morehead City.
I am finding that as a renter - housing might be a little tricky. I keep seeing lots of beach rentals, temp rentals, and stuff just out of my price range.
I am a young medical professional. Single. And have a cat. My maximum budget is $825 but would prefer in the $700 range if possible!
I don't mind commuting, but no more than 30 minutes.
I've seen apartments in New Bern but its looking like a 45 minute commute - no bueno.
Any resources I can check out? I am visiting the area in April.
I have been to Morehead City before, but I was there visiting family and preoccupied with family events.
I am familiar with the Jacksonville/Swansboro areas.

Is there a good social scene for late 20/early 30s?
I just turned 30 a few months ago. I will need to make new friends as I am completely leaving comfort zone for a new adventure.

Thank you for your time, in advance!! Any input is greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 07:05 PM

11,263 posts, read 19,810,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieNCbound28 View Post
I am a young medical professional. Single. And have a cat. My maximum budget is $825 but would prefer in the $700 range if possible!
I don't mind commuting, but no more than 30 minutes.
I sent you a Direct Message about a Realtor. Look in the upper-right hand corner to see the DM.

Congratulations on the new job. I think you will enjoy being here.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:11 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,753,876 times
New Bern seems too far to commute, but some do it. I suggest you take anywhere you can find that is safe, on a six month lease, then you have plenty of time to look around.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:47 PM

I found one suggestion on Hotpads.com, the Country Club Townhouse apartments in MHC: tour_start

There are several similar places in Swansboro. They are probably safe, but watch out for signs of too much "partying" going on.

Many of the young singles in Swansboro are going to be people in the Marines or Navy. Some will be professionals like lawyers, nurses and doctors.

Last edited by goldenage1; 03-04-2015 at 07:59 PM..

Old 03-04-2015, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
New Bern seems too far to commute, but some do it. I suggest you take anywhere you can find that is safe, on a six month lease, then you have plenty of time to look around.

Yes. New Bern is too far. My only hesitation about a 6 month lease - is moving. Haha! I will have the help of family and friends to move me in initially and then I am completely alone. I have no contacts or friends in Eastern Carolina. My nearest friends are in Charlotte, Charleston, and DC

I have found a listing for a 2bdrm 1.5 bath condo in Beaufort.
Is Beaufort a safe area? Is it more geared towards tourism, young families? I realize that coastal Carolina has heavy summer tourism, I am okay with that. I grew up here in the Great Lakes in a summer town; the tourism aspect doesn't bother me. Does there seem to be a strong young professional community? I am worried about making friends. If its retirement communities and small families with no in between - maybe it might not be wise for me to start over there.

Something I didn't ask in my initial post - is there a high hurricane risk in MHC? For the most part, from what I can remember from previous years, generally south in FL, but I could be wrong. Any special insurances I should be shopping for - will renters and car include hurricane damages? Probably a question for my ins agent.
I'm sorry. I feel very pressed and rushed for time - so if I am asking crazy questions - lemme know! I originally applied for a position in Wilmington last summer; the position was filled internally and one has not reopened. So, moving to coastal Carolina has been on my mind and a plan for quite a while.

I applied for the transfer yesterday when it popped up - it closes March 12th and I found out yesterday from my realtor that I have a tentative closing date here in NY for April 21st on the condo I currently live in, that I am losing my butt on ( -_- )
My fingers and toes are crossed that this opening was meant for me and all of my puzzle pieces will fall into place!

Old 03-04-2015, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I found one suggestion on Hotpads.com, the Country Club Townhouse apartments in MHC: tour_start

There are several similar places in Swansboro. They are probably safe, but watch out for signs of too much "partying" going on.

Many of the young singles in Swansboro are going to be people in the Marines or Navy. Some will be professionals like lawyers, nurses and doctors.

Thanks Goldenage1! I did not see this before my last reply.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Something I didn't ask in my initial post - is there a high hurricane risk in MHC? For the most part, from what I can remember from previous years, generally south in FL, but I could be wrong. Any special insurances I should be shopping for - will renters and car include hurricane damages? Probably a question for my ins agent.
Well, there is some risk of hurricanes. The Crystal Coast was hit hard by Irene in 2011, with buildings, boats and trees damages. Many people evacuated. I don't know how renters insurance covers it, but homeowners pay extra for hurricane coverage.

BTW, with Beaufort condo in your price range, it is probably safe, but I can't assure you. Beaufort has a mix of very affluent people and some low-income people. There was a meth lab arrest in town recently. So, look at the condo in person, check the neighborhood and use your street smarts.

There are crime stats and demographics on Beaufort in its C-D profile. The crime is slightly higher than the US average, with a lot of theft. Perhaps that's due to the number of tourists and transients. http://www.city-data.com/city/Beaufo...-Carolina.html

Last edited by goldenage1; 03-04-2015 at 09:14 PM..

Old 03-05-2015, 07:58 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,359,443 times
is there a high hurricane risk in MHC? For the most part, from what I can remember from previous years, generally south in FL, but I could be wrong
yes there is a hurricane "risk" in Morehead City, as in everywhere coastal. And you are correct, recent history has had south Florida receiving the brunt and lion's share of the storms.
But the said, here a couple of things to consider-It isn't just coastal NC that gets "hit" (in reality that should be affected) by storms. In 2004 two hurricanes affected the mountains of NC causing a deluge in rain and mud slides. The coast was untouched.
In 1989 Charlotte, several 100's of miles inland was hit by a storm. In 1996 Raleigh/Durham had major impacts from Hurricane Fran.
The 2011 hurricane damage in Morehead was minor. It was mainly around the community college and hospital. I live less than 2 miles away from there and I might have had a fallen pine cone in my yard as a result.
I have lived in Morehead for almost 35 years and have been in/covered every storm during that time period. There are a lot of misconceptions and misinformation about these events.
God Bless,
Bill

Old 03-05-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
I have found a listing for a 2bdrm 1.5 bath condo in Beaufort.
Is Beaufort a safe area? Is it more geared towards tourism, young families?
Beaufort has an average age of 46, so there are many retired people there. However, in a townhouse condo community there will be many young families. The average income is only about $26,000.

Beaufort has received a lot of publicity, so naturally there are tourists. The downtown is old and quaint, however the back streets just look run-down to me.

My personal preference would be in Morehead City, but I wish you luck with the job.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:59 AM

10,403 posts, read 19,436,719 times
I'm sure you realize that a coastal town is going to be like "night and day" in summer vs winter. Morehead City is not quite as "Seasonal" as the beaches, but still, your "activity options" will go way up in the summer. However, for someone your age, I hope you have a realistic view of what kind of place you're looking into; it's not somewhere I think "young folks go there to party" (30 to me is young). You may find Wilmington the closest place with any real "bar scene" or whatever you're looking for, in which case, you might want to live in Cape Carteret or Swansboro or at least the western end of Morehead. It's still a pretty sleepy little town, once you get tired of the waterfront-type attractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or