U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 06:22 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,825,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Proof?
I don't need to prove it...its been extensively covered in the press. I assume you've heard of Google?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 07:30 AM

26 posts, read 34,801 times
we too decided in the future to relocate to coastal nc as we enjoy the boating lifestyle. i looked in new bern and have a great contact at carolina colors if you need.the tax rates are higher in that area due to a lot of infrastructure work to support the influx of new residents. i wound up purchasing a lot further north in albemarle plantation and plan to look further south around southport and surrounding areas. i also have a contact for the new bern area at a realty if needed who showed me around new bern and oriental. feel free to contact me and ill give you any info i can.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:22 AM

183 posts, read 241,797 times
If you need a realtor we worked with a great one in New Bern .She found us exactly the homes we were interested in and was very informative about the areas

Old 04-26-2015, 08:53 AM

76 posts, read 75,887 times
Dear gjjb1953

Can you give me the name of the New Bern real estate agent you like? Washington, to the north, seems like another possible place to look at. The access to the water is not as iterating as New Bern, however. Anyone have opinions on Washington vs New Bern?

Al Mabari

Old 04-26-2015, 09:17 AM

11,279 posts, read 19,833,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambrichard View Post
Anyone have opinions on Washington vs New Bern?
We looked online at both New Bern and Washington for retirement. Washington definitely has more limited options even if you include Chocowinity.

I personally like New Bern, but there are many negatives including the high price of electric power within the city limits and the amount of crime. I liked the Fairfield Harbour development, but ultimately rejected it because the houses and lots were too small, and most houses required significant updating.

On the plus side for New Bern, there is a good amount of culture and history and enough good restaurants and clubs to keep one interested. In addition, the moorings in Fairfield Harbour are deep enough for a sailboat. Other developments around New Bern like River Bend and Trent Woods offered good options for retiree housing. I will PM you the Realtor we met for viewing Fairfield Harbour.

Old 04-26-2015, 05:22 PM

ambricard I sent you a private message

Old 05-18-2015, 06:48 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,825,233 times
Just to attempt to clarify some of the apparent misinformation surrounding New Bern's electric bills, I recently ran a comparison between New Bern and Duke's rates. For a monthly usage of 580 kwh, New Bern's cost would be $88.29 (plus taxes) and Duke's would be $66.14 (plus taxes). Thats a difference of 33%, not 100% as some people have claimed on other threads. And thats using New Bern's highest rate...it can be lower if one participates in the load management program.

I think what people fail to realize is that most cities who bill electricity combine all utilities on one bill, so the bill includes electricity, water, sewer, trash, etc. People often just look at the total amount of the bill, compare to an electric-only bill and fail to take into account the difference in whats included.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambrichard View Post
My women friend and I have also decided that New Bern would be a great place to relocate. We pan to rent for a year to see if we fit in. To get an idea of rentals use craigslist.com. Choose Eastern N.C. and apartments to rent. Enter you price range and check out the listings. I think for about $800 a month there are many very adequate rentals including small houses if you don't mind living a few miles out of town. Renting in any medium city there are areas that are more crime-likely than others. Although it is not a great concern of mine (I don't have much to steal) you might want to contact a realtor who can designate the different neighborhoods that you would feel comfortable living in. All-in-all I'd live anywhere in the city of New Bern just to be able to launch my kayak and drift about the Neuse and watch the sun rise.
Did you ever move to New Bern, NC? My husband and I are looking into that for ourselves, but have not actually visited it yet. We will go there as part of our vacation this fall. Have always lived in San Diego, CA. Love it but not enormous cost to live out our lives here. NB looks like a pretty town, smallish, but beautiful. Houses are reasonable, and we only want a cottage home, nothing elaborate. Would like to know your take on the area if you ever returned.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:44 AM

I live in New Bern and love it.

Old 09-24-2015, 03:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,127 times
Default New Bern Electric Rate decrease

Updated Jun 24, 2015 at 5:17 PM

New Bernís retail electric customers will see a 12 percent reduction in their electricity rates separate from a 3 percent rate decrease July 1.
Aldermen approve electricity rate reduction - News - New Bern Sun Journal - New Bern, NC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina