U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 07:48 AM

37 posts, read 74,681 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are retired and planning on selling our house and moving to NC. From what I've seen of it, New Bern looks to be a place we might really like. Instead of buying another house, we are looking into apartment or house rental. I am particularly interested in knowing about houses for rent, since I'm not sure how we'd adapt to an apartment. (Still thinking about that). So my question is, are there houses available for rent in the $1000-$1100/month range, and what are the areas we should we be looking at? Hoping to come down this spring for a visit and to scout out apartments/houses. What advice can you give us?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 08:23 AM

11,252 posts, read 19,782,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Wondering View Post
So my question is, are there houses available for rent in the $1000-$1100/month range, and what are the areas we should we be looking at? Hoping to come down this spring for a visit and to scout out apartments/houses. What advice can you give us?
I ran a search in Realtor.com, and there are many houses in your price range. Check the map view in Realtor.com to see where they are. I think you ought to look at different areas. Fairfield Harbour is one option where retired people tend to go. South of town along Highway 70 would give you Taberna and Carolina Colours. West of the center of town would give you Trent Woods and River Bend. The only place I might avoid is the historic area which is lovely but has high electric bills.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:07 AM

183 posts, read 241,111 times
I just moved to Fairfield Harbour on March 1.Do your homework .I moved outside of the city limits .New Bern utilities are sky high.I pay only county real estate taxes and not city .Rentals are plentiful in your price range.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:30 PM

76 posts, read 75,527 times
My women friend and I have also decided that New Bern would be a great place to relocate. We pan to rent for a year to see if we fit in. To get an idea of rentals use craigslist.com. Choose Eastern N.C. and apartments to rent. Enter you price range and check out the listings. I think for about $800 a month there are many very adequate rentals including small houses if you don't mind living a few miles out of town. Renting in any medium city there are areas that are more crime-likely than others. Although it is not a great concern of mine (I don't have much to steal) you might want to contact a realtor who can designate the different neighborhoods that you would feel comfortable living in. All-in-all I'd live anywhere in the city of New Bern just to be able to launch my kayak and drift about the Neuse and watch the sun rise.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:03 PM

96 posts, read 356,111 times
Just be careful with Craigslist. When looking in the New Bern area for rentals I encountered more scams than any other area of North Carolina. There are lots of houses for rent just be careful. Good Luck.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:16 AM

The electric rates in the city of New Bern are atrocious.Try to get something with Duke power outside the city limits.I have Tideland electric

Old 04-15-2015, 06:30 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,746,889 times
There are a lot of houses for rent in Riverside. Yes, it is in New Bern, and electric rates are sky high. The reason Riverside may be a great option is that Riverside is adjacent to two large waterside tracts. Many owners are holding on to property, and renting, awaiting what is speculated to be a huge increase in value coincident with inevitable, upscale development.

I am certain that will occur, but I believe the time horizon is way way down the road.

So, I think you could get a deal on a rental house, you are going to pat foe electri!

Good luck.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:49 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,810,855 times
New Bern, and other eastern NC cities, will soon be seeing reductions in electrical rates in the 30% range.

Old 04-18-2015, 05:33 PM

19,506 posts, read 17,755,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
New Bern, and other eastern NC cities, will soon be seeing reductions in electrical rates in the 30% range.
Proof?

Old 04-19-2015, 05:54 AM

McCrory signed legislation that will lower electric bills in Eastern NC. by the end of 2015.I don't know the particulars or how much rates will lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina