U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2008, 11:10 AM

8,575 posts, read 6,350,769 times

Advertisements

HAHAHAHA! rochester is still new york. you will find plenty of them (upstaters) down here. in fact, they even have a place here that has garbage plates. I am sure, as I have been told, that it's not as good as nick tahoe's!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 05:21 PM

3 posts, read 9,212 times
Default Moving to Wilmington

I don't know if you want to be advised by a Real Estate Broker, but I can help if you would like. There are many great areas with homes in your price range but you must come here and see for yourself what is available and weed through the "dogs" so to speak. Reply if you would like to talk futher. I moved here from New England 4+ years ago but I had been coming here for years before.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:27 PM

61 posts, read 269,618 times
What is the name of the place that serves Garbage plates? A couple years back we were down in Myrtle Beach and in their new mall in the food court was place called Rochester Hots. They had garbage plates, and sold Zweigles hot dogs. I think the place closed though as it's no longer listed in the mall directory. I think what makes Nick Tahoes so good is they never clean the grease off the grill. Now all I need to find is a Dinosaur Bar-B-Que and I'll be all set. Any place as good as that around for ribs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
HAHAHAHA! rochester is still new york. you will find plenty of them (upstaters) down here. in fact, they even have a place here that has garbage plates. I am sure, as I have been told, that it's not as good as nick tahoe's!

Old 02-16-2008, 01:50 PM

I can't remember the name of the place. I used to work with a guy from rochester and he had the menu on his desk. you will have no problem finding someone who would know though. there are a lot of people from upstate that live here now. trust me, you don't need to worry about dinosaur bbq. this is one of the bbq capitals of the US. I have lived in another bbq capital, memphis. it depends on what kind of bbq you like. I heard that sticky fingers has really good ribs. have you had NC style bbq? you know you are going to miss wegman's.

Old 02-16-2008, 06:16 PM

Actually when we were down there last month, we did eat at Sticky Fingers and it was pretty good. Though I wouldn't call that local either. I'm sure there are some good local places, did read about one on Carolina beach that sounded good but they only serve food to go. Not sure what kind of bbq you'd describe Dinosaur as serving, but whatever kind it is, we like that style.

As far as Wegmans goes, to be honest, won't miss that too much. Most grocery stuff, we either buys at Sams' or Walmart. Probably the biggest thing that Wegmans has a good selection of that we'll miss is their produce department and maybe meats though we buy alot of that at Sam's. In particular fresh NY apples we will miss. When we were down there we stopped in a Harris Teeter and found that rather similar to Wegmans in the quality, selection, and the way everything was "presented". Wegmans is great for special occasions and you want something above normal quality. You know whatever you'll get there will be very good. We did find milk to be about $1.50 more per gallon in Wilmington, on the other hand gas is about $.30 per gallon cheaper and we user alot more gas each week than milk!

Sounds like you're quite familier with the locol cusine of western NY!

Old 02-16-2008, 07:42 PM

I am pretty familiar with western NY! I worked for a company in DC where all of the employees were from upstate NY. plus my family is from vermont so I have relatives all around that area. NC BBQ is pulled pork served with a vinegar based sauce. it rocks. I am not really into the thick bbq sauce like they had in memphis. I think you will like it here. harris teeter is a good place to shop. forget sam's down here. go to costco. the produce is great and the prices are out of this world. not a lot of apples down this way. a lot of strawberries though. NC is known for strawberries and blueberries. apples are a fall fruit, and fall isn't a very big season here. that is where costco comes in! I am sure that there are some apple farms around here though in the western part of the state!

Old 02-17-2008, 08:55 PM

We like the pulled pork, but the thing that we really enjoy at the Dinosaur are their ribs. They have a smoker outside and cook them for like about 18 hours. Hopefully will find some good local places for ribs.

We have a Sam's and BJ's around here so have never tried Costco. I've been in a store but never really shopped. I've heard they tend ot sell more high end better quality sutff than Sam's does. The strawberry part would be good as we do like them very much.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:24 AM

costco does have higher quality stuff. they have really good produce. it's a great place to shop. I am sure that you can find a really good rib place around here. one thing that wilmington does not lack is places to eat!

Old 02-18-2008, 05:35 AM

2,356 posts, read 2,638,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjchess View Post
Moving to Wilmington... Myrtle Grove (aka Monkey Junction) is still inside Wilmington but as of now outside the city limits meaning lower taxes.
Keep in mind that the City of Wilmington is considering annexing all the commercial property in Monkey Junction by 2009 or 2010. Sooner or later, probably within the next 5-15 years, I'd be willing to bet that Wilmington will annex all of the residential development around Monkey Junction. So chances are, those lower taxes won't last forever.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:26 AM

39 posts, read 198,543 times
I am from the Rochester area and find Wilmington to be very similar. There is good and bad in every city. Myrtle Grove is about to be annexed by the city so your taxes are likely to double in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina