Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 10:46 AM

61 posts, read 293,599 times

Advertisements

What exactly is the difference in tax rates betwen the city and out of the city? I know it would go up, but I didn't expect it to potentially double? And when will it happen? One post says 5 to 15 years second one says "about to be" Big difference!

Coming from NY even if it doubled, it would still be about half of what I'm paying in NY so there's always abright side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 11:08 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,845,782 times
if you want to know the tax rates, do a search on new hanover county. go to the county's website and you can search the current tax assessment of any property. the city taxes here aren't very high.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:35 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,474,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West_ny View Post
What exactly is the difference in tax rates betwen the city and out of the city? I know it would go up, but I didn't expect it to potentially double? And when will it happen? One post says 5 to 15 years second one says "about to be" Big difference!

Coming from NY even if it doubled, it would still be about half of what I'm paying in NY so there's always abright side.
re: when?
Right now, Wilmington is considering an annexation of mostly commercial properties in Monkey Junction. They may or may not go through with it. I think that they will. If they do annex, it will probably be in the next two years, but nobody really knows.

As far as annexation of the residential property in the Monkey Junction area, I was speculating that it might happen. I was also further speculating that if it happens, I would guess that it'll be at least 5 years away. Thus far, the city hasn't announced anything regarding the annexation of residential neighborhoods around Monkey Junction.

re: how much?
Per the Wilmington Star News:
Quote:
The owner of a $200,000 house in the county pays $840 in annual property taxes. The owner of a house of the same value in the city pays $1,440.
Also, you have to factor in city services like the stormwater utility. The city has a stormwater utility, which charges a stormwater fee ($5/month for single family homes). The county does not. Curbside refuse pickup is another, but I don't know the cost.

Last edited by anonymous; 02-18-2008 at 12:17 PM..

Old 02-18-2008, 12:49 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,845,782 times
you also might want to factor in not living in the city. the city is so poorly managed, the simple fact that you even pay taxes for "services" will make you sick. never have I seen such an incompetent group of planners.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:11 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,474,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
you also might want to factor in not living in the city. the city is so poorly managed, the simple fact that you even pay taxes for "services" will make you sick. never have I seen such an incompetent group of planners.
Oh, they do a fine job at planning. The implementation is what's so ineffective. But I suppose it depends on what services we're talking about here.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:22 PM

61 posts, read 293,599 times
Well that sounds alot better than happening real soon! 5 years I can live with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
re: when?
As far as annexation of the residential property in the Monkey Junction area, I was speculating that it might happen. I was also further speculating that if it happens, I would guess that it'll be at least 5 years away. Thus far, the city hasn't announced anything regarding the annexation of residential neighborhoods around Monkey Junction.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:23 PM

8 posts, read 23,719 times
Are there lots of retired people in North Chase? I'm hoping to find areas with lots of other retirees in Wilmington. Any suggestions? thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina