U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 01:56 PM

61 posts, read 269,750 times

Advertisements

First post on theis board.

I possibly will be moving to the area soon if a job works out. I've driven through the area a few times, however never really looked around closely at specific areas. Lately been looking online, but that doesn't give a good feel for what areas are good and where to stay away from. Essentially I'm looking for a one story house, 3 bedroom, approx 1800 to 2000 square feet. Would prefer a house less than 5 years old, and wouldn't at all be opposed to brand new. Probably would want to spend between $200,000 to $275,000, but would really prefer to stay under $250,000. The ares that I'd be working in would be right near the end of I-40.

Some areas that had some decent sounding homes were Leland,(Lanvale Forest) Hampstead, Surf City,(Turtle Creek) and Myrtle Grove. I read a lot of comments regarding crime in the city. Was wondering is Myrtle Gove considered part of the city, or is that it's own town. And how is that area? Where I live now, you wouldn't want to walk around many areas of the city either, but suburbs for the most part, are fine. Is there a list anyplace that could find out which developments have homeowners associations (and fees) and which one doesn't?

Also somewhat concerned about hurricanes thought not terrifed either. Based on past storms how far inland do you need to be to avoid anything other than minor damage? I've heard some people say across the intercostal, but is that true or do you need to be much further inland. When exactly did the last major hurricane hit the Wilminton area?

Any other info anyone could give would be helpful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 09:52 AM

2,356 posts, read 2,643,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West_ny View Post
Also somewhat concerned about hurricanes thought not terrifed either. Based on past storms how far inland do you need to be to avoid anything other than minor damage? I've heard some people say across the intercostal, but is that true or do you need to be much further inland.
It depends on how you phrase it. In the event that your house is in the path of a major category 4 or 5 hurricane, you probably want to be as far inland as Greensboro to be assured of only "minor damage."

For example, in 1989, a category four tore the roof off our house which was 80 miles inland. We lost dozens of trees. I consider that more than minor damage. That hurricane (Hugo) did solid damage as far inland as Charlotte. At the beach, it blew houses off their foundations, knocked down bridges, and literally blew the road surface off.

Across the intracoastal waterway is about 2 miles inland, and a lot of that land is only 5 - 10 feet above sea level, which is arguably a developed wetland. I'm not sure if storm surge goes that far, but I would say that the risk of property damage there is not minor. Downtown is built on 50-60 foot bluffs, so it is safe from storm surge, but not from wind.

Quote:
When exactly did the last major hurricane hit the Wilminton area?
Wilmington,North Carolina hurricanes

There's a list of the most recent. I'm not saying you should be scared, just informed. I'm not from the Wilmington area, but I think Wilmington has been spared a major hurricane for a very long time. I think recently we've been hit frequently by smaller hurricanes.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:28 PM

217 posts, read 1,032,019 times
I can comment on the Myrtle Grove area. I find it to be a very nice area. Not too sure about the HOA dues. Re:hurricanes...it's just a chance you take living on the coast. I have lived in Wilmington 13 years and have relatives who have lived here 20+ years. Must say, personally, (and thankfully) we haven't had a lot of damage. My mother has lived directly on the Intracoastal for 4 years now. They haven't had any damage expect for some torn screens and missing roof shingles. The owners before them did experience bad flooding during one of the hurricanes where their cars were actually washed out of the garage and the whole bottom floor flooded but everything was repairable. Hope that helps

Old 01-14-2008, 06:12 PM

So when people talk about crime in the city, Myrtle Grove isn't part of that area? As anonymous mentioned, is Myrtle Griove buit up a bit higher? Again, I'm not going to lose sleep worrying about it, but if I can do a few things to minimize risk, and reduce homeowners insurance in the process, then great. Is it still a surburb type area, some undeveloped sections, but also close to stores and stuff? Any new constrcution in that area?

Thanks for response.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:29 PM

1 posts, read 5,520 times
I recently bought a home in the North Chase cumminity that is close to the end of I-40. we are moving there by April and can't wait. I am from New York and looking foward to getting out of this rat race and joining the human race. I love the way everyone treats each other there.
I think the last major hurracane was Fran in 1992 or 1994. It destoyed a lot of marinas along the ICWW.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:43 PM

7 posts, read 42,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmike50 View Post
I recently bought a home in the North Chase cumminity that is close to the end of I-40. we are moving there by April and can't wait. I am from New York and looking foward to getting out of this rat race and joining the human race. I love the way everyone treats each other there.
I think the last major hurracane was Fran in 1992 or 1994. It destoyed a lot of marinas along the ICWW.
Mike, your in for a real awakening... I don't know what part of NY your from, but I left there too for hopes of a better place. Unfortunetly I feel NY offered waaaaay better quality of life. I'm not talking about the inner city, but the suburban areas, westchester county, southern ct, as far as I'm concerned, can't even come close to Wilmington or any nearby areas. Northchase area? Crime is high, don't forget tp bring your gat!

Old 01-24-2008, 12:36 PM

2 posts, read 8,440 times
Northchase area is good--thats where I am also, just a few miles south. This end of town is still growing fast, and new houses in my neighborhood are going for what you are wanting to spend...as for crime, I feel like we live in one of the better areas of Wilmington--if its here it isn't predominant and isn't obvious--doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but you dont have to look both ways before walking out of your house or anything. Definately should check out N. Wilmington for housing....good luck!

Old 02-13-2008, 09:31 PM

147 posts, read 385,867 times
Moving to Wilmington... Myrtle Grove (aka Monkey Junction) is still inside Wilmington but as of now outside the city limits meaning lower taxes. As for shopping, everything you need is very close. We have lived in the 28409 & 28412 areas for 8 years now and we love this area of town. It's far enough away from the major traffic and college areas but centrally located to beaches and the historic downtown area. We have not had an issue with crime since we've been here.
Previously lived in Hampstead, so we know that area as well. There's a lot of growth going on out there (slowly but surely), but it's a far cry from Wilmington especially if you are moving from NY. (We are in a couple in our mid30's and wouldn't move back there ourselves).
North Chase is a nice area, yards are small, homes look alike, and there is a HOA that can be an issue. (We have friends in that area)
With that said... we are selling our Myrtle Grove house FSBO (3BR/2 1/2 BA) because we want to move to a bigger city (Charlotte). hint hint wink wink

Old 02-14-2008, 06:48 AM

8,575 posts, read 6,357,562 times
I find it kind of funny that people keep coming here from new york in hopes of getting away from the "rat race." the more people that move down here, the worse the rat race gets. biggest difference is that with the rat race up north, you are racing to a job that actually pays you money. northchase doesn't have crime. it's a nice subdivision, but a little too family orientated for my taste being singe. you will have to look kind of hard to find a house that big on one story as homes here don't have basements. whatever you do, avoid leland at ALL costs. leland is horrible and the traffic going into town in the morning is horrible.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:18 AM

Sorry kjchess, You're too late, we actually found a place in Monkey Junction, in Henderson Parke. I'm from Rochester NY, not NYC, though originally I am from there, but have been in Rochester for over 30 years now. Wilmington is about 1/4 the size of Rochester, however that's somewhat deceiving as there is tourism in Wilmington that makes the area act larger, (i.e. more restaurants, shops, etc) We are kind of urban types, like being near things, so did like what that area had to offer. Drove around Ogden and Hampstead and that was bit too undeveloped for us. I was amazed when we were down there seeing people in the downtown area at night. The only people downtown Rochester are the muggers, and they have trouble finding people to mug.

So hopefully should be down there by late March.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina