U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2008, 02:33 PM

4 posts, read 81,748 times

Advertisements

I want to leave Vermont and head someplace with much milder winters, but I don't want to get into areas that have alot ice storms or rain that freezes overnight. Can anyone tell me what the winters are like in the coastal regions as far as any ice or snow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 02:49 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,637,346 times
Anywhere on NC coast
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 01-12-2008, 03:06 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,687,448 times
The warmest year-round coastal temps are probably found in the Wilmington-Southport, NC area.

SOUTHPORT 5 N, NORTH CAROLINA - Climate Summary

Last edited by mm34b; 01-12-2008 at 03:25 PM..

Old 01-12-2008, 03:43 PM

713 posts, read 3,474,668 times
Smile Haven't see any ice or snow yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sms357 View Post
I want to leave Vermont and head someplace with much milder winters, but I don't want to get into areas that have alot ice storms or rain that freezes overnight. Can anyone tell me what the winters are like in the coastal regions as far as any ice or snow?
This is our second winter on the Crystal Coast near Emerald Isle, NC.

Last year it was hard to call it winter, if I compare it to the ones we used to have north of Fredericton, New Brunswick where we saw temperatures as low as minus forty.

We walked the beach every month, and I also hiked and biked at will. I had my kayak and boat in the water in late December. I just haven't had time yet in Jan.

Last year we saw 24F for a couple of hours. This year so far we have seen 20F for about an hour.

No one in our area has mentioned snow or ice as a possibility. People talk about a storm several years ago when there was some snow for a day, but that is all that I have heard.

There was actually a snow event where Charleston, SC saw some snow in November 2006, but of course it did not stick.

Last January the temperatures near Cape Carteret were only below freezing for a total of nineteen hours for the whole month.

You can check our area average temperatures at this link.

There is always a trade off. We found that any farther south than we are, the hot months of the summer were really hot.

We had about six weeks of really hot humid weather last summer, but the temperature never got above 93.

We are right on the water so we get a nice coastal breeze most of the time.

I would not worry about coastal snow and ice very much in North Carolina.

Last edited by dsobotta; 01-12-2008 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: wrong link

Old 01-16-2008, 09:28 AM

4 posts, read 81,748 times
Default Thanks for the input

Hey guys, thanks so much for the replies. The coastal area sounds great for winters, summers might be hot and humid, but I can take that. I would really miss the change of seasons if I moved much further south.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:34 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,286,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sms357 View Post
Hey guys, thanks so much for the replies. The coastal area sounds great for winters, summers might be hot and humid, but I can take that. I would really miss the change of seasons if I moved much further south.
I thought I would miss the change of seasons, too, and that's why I didn't move further south. But whenever it gets cold here, as it is this week, with lows in the upper 20s and highs in the upper 40s to low 50s, I wish I'd gone to Florida. I guess I'm looking for that endless summer, after all.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:29 AM

713 posts, read 3,474,668 times
Smile Just visit north to appreciate those 40s & 50s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
I thought I would miss the change of seasons, too, and that's why I didn't move further south. But whenever it gets cold here, as it is this week, with lows in the upper 20s and highs in the upper 40s to low 50s, I wish I'd gone to Florida. I guess I'm looking for that endless summer, after all.
We traveled from Cape Carteret, NC to Roanoke, Va late last week. It was 73 when we left here and 43 when we got to the mountains. It had been in the sixties earlier in the week, but we got there just when the weather was changing.

Those forties turned out to be about the high temperature that we saw over the four days we were there.

On top of that the winds were blowing. When I went to the dentist yesterday morning it was in the low thirties, the sky got dark and there was a whiteout for a minute or two. Then the ground was white and snow was blowing along the roads. When we left yesterday at three pm, it was 35 degrees.

After a day or two with highs in the thirties and the wind blowing, those 40s and fifties with sunshine feel much better here on the coast

I had a friend who lives in Pittsboro. He went to Florida the week that it got so cold here. His first morning in Florida, it was colder than in Pittsboro. Of course Florida recovered nicely later in his trip.

Today Roanoke got a winter storm warning with up to four inches of snow, freezing rain and sleet expected tomorrow.

I'll take the cold rain here on the coast any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina