U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2006, 08:25 AM

6 posts, read 17,422 times

Advertisements

we are thinking about buying a small vacation home near the NC coast (wilmington area maybe), we would also like to be able to rent it out for some income. we lives in chapel hill, NC., used to live in boston, really miss the ocean waters. wonder if anyone have any experiences on coastal vacation properties?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2006, 09:16 AM

2,834 posts, read 11,020,916 times
Although I don't have direct experience, I am from the area and interestingly enough I rarely go to wilmington! We have always gone to beaches like emerald isle or holden, I think because wilmington (wrightsville beach) is not just a beach town, and the others are. I don't know, just how my family has done it. I have a friend who had a family home on topsail, he bought it from his dad and decided to rent..........it is tough to get renters for the first couple of years. So, you may want to consider a property that is already rented, just a thought.

Leigh

Old 11-07-2006, 09:14 PM

3,155 posts, read 9,793,556 times
Something to think about is what sort of vacation do you want. I grew up near Topsail Island (use to ride my bike there when I was a kid). We were just there this summer for 3 weeks. While I love Topsail because it is so family friendly, it lacks good restaurants and good grocery stores. If you are planning on cooking the whole week you will be fine. But buy your wine, good cheese in the Triangle. They do have restaurants.... just not many that go beyond fried seafood and burgers. Think about what sort of things you want to do... eat out, fish, kayak, etc. And that might dictate where you go.

I live in a major metropolitian city and I was shocked as how bad traffic was in Wilmington this past summer. Their roads have not kept up w/ growth. Wrigthsville Beach seemed to be the same way. Something else to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina