U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2015, 10:54 AM

5 posts, read 6,044 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move to the southeast coast within the next year, and particularily considering North Carolina. I'm a single female nearing 30 with no kids, hoping to continue college part-time and work one or two jobs in any entry-level field. I'll be moving from Idaho, I love it, but need a change. I've strongly considered Jacksonville or Wilmington. I've read negative posts about Jacksonville, but don't really care about the lack of entertainment or large military population. I've looked at everywhere from Kitty Hawk, Beaufort (NC), New Bern, Sneads Ferry, etc. Greenville was considered, but it's too far from the coast.

**Priorities and Preferences**
-Low cost of living
-Cheapest rent
*At the most $600/month, but for starting out, I would prefer something drastically cheaper. Am happy to live in a studio, efficiency (motel-type) housing, trailer, yurt, camper trailer, tent..you get the idea. I'm half expecting to live in my car in the beginning..
-Availability of work
*Entry-level positions, for the most part. Until I graduate, I am happy working several jobs in various fields (admin, housekeeping, call centers, etc) including part-time/seasonal.
-Close proximity to the ocean
*Doesn't have to be the big-waves, touristy-type beachfront. 20 mins max driving time.
-Would like a town between 200-99,000 people, but understand limited employment opportunities, so am fine with bigger towns/cities (IE Wilmington)
-Culture, politics, ammenities and most anything else not listed above are of no concern to me, at this time
*I love the concept of a laid-back beach town community vibe, but who doesn't? Until I can afford to be choosy, I will live in most any environment.

I have no contacts in North Carolina or the surrounding area, but am not afraid of networking. Obvoiusly getting a job there will be priority, but I may not be able to until I'm there. Any input will be helpful!!! Also would consider South Carolina or Georgia, I just don't know much about them.

Last edited by emberry9; 03-16-2015 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: Adding more info for clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 11:18 AM

2,399 posts, read 3,354,053 times
What type of housing are you willing to consider. You want a rental house, apartment, mobile home? What's considered cheap?

Old 03-16-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
What type of housing are you willing to consider. You want a rental house, apartment, mobile home? What's considered cheap?
Thank you for pointing out my lack of clarification I've updated the post to provide more information that will hopefully help out!

Old 03-16-2015, 12:27 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,807,131 times
You mention continuing college part time, but the presence of a college isn't listed in your priorities and preferences. Are you pursuing your degree online? What kind of program/degree are you pursuing? How close does a college need to be to where you will be living?

Old 03-16-2015, 02:05 PM

11,250 posts, read 19,768,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emberry9 View Post
-Cheapest rent
*At the most $600/month, but for starting out, I would prefer something drastically cheaper. Am happy to live in a studio, efficiency (motel-type) housing, trailer, yurt, camper trailer, tent..you get the idea. I'm half expecting to live in my car in the beginning..
-Availability of work
*Entry-level positions, for the most part. Until I graduate, I am happy working several jobs in various fields (admin, housekeeping, call centers, etc) including part-time/seasonal.
-Close proximity to the ocean
There are obviously seasonal entry level jobs all around. Waitressing, cashiering, house-cleaning for beach rentals, pizza delivery, etc. You probably have to be here in person to get a job like that. There is also a need for nannies and dog-sitters.

Jacksonville has an apartment that advertises $299/month, and there are many mobile homes for rent around $500-600/month. Try the Craigslist for Eastern North carolina for ideas.

Regarding college, you have to be a resident for one year to qualify for in-state tuition at the state and community colleges. There are also many private schools for adults: Mt Olive, Campbell, Miller-Motte, etc.

Good Luck.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:12 PM

Thank you! Yes, finishing college is my goal, but as mentioned, you must live in North Carolina for 1 year to be eligible for in-state tuition. If I end up in a town with a community college, I may take a class or two until I'm a resident, but if not I'll move after my 1 year mark to finish my degree. My major is Sociology.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:38 PM

2,399 posts, read 3,354,053 times
If you are flexible on your housing for $600 a month, you can consider Southport or Shallotte in Brunswick County. There are some folks your age, but it is a lot of retirement folks. Brunswick Community College is nearby in Bolivia.

I would also suggest Wilmington in that you could find a roommate and share costs. This would be where most 30 year olds would be comfortable because it has entertainment, good access to the beaches, and plenty of service industry type jobs. Cape Fear Community College is downtown and has very good programs, I believe its the 4th largest Community College in NC.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:16 AM

10,396 posts, read 19,411,944 times
If you want a college nearby, Wilmington or the Wilmington area is your only bet on the coast of NC. UNC-Wilmington is the only university on the coast, at least in NC. Really, for employment opportunities, you might do better looking into the Myrtle Beach, SC or Virginia Beach, VA areas...is there a reason you are considering NC specifically?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or