Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 02:33 AM

10 posts, read 11,237 times

Advertisements

Hi all! My husband and I along with our 4 kids (all under the age of 6) are desperate to move to the NC coastal region. We have visited all over NC this past year and definitely feel that the coast is where we want to be. The only problem is I can't figure out where. ... I'm looking for a town with under 10,000 residents, that has plenty of kiddos for my kiddies to befriend, is walkable or bike-friendly, has a decent public school system, low crime and cute downtown shops, possibly with historic homes (I'd love a Victorian). We don't have a lot of $$$ and are looking for a house that will fit us all for under $200k. Is this possible? We went to new bern last week and the town was cute except it seemed a bit rough around the edges when we drove out of the town center, also I didn't see many kids about. We also visited southport last week and it was adorable, however, I didn't see anything in our price range. We met with a local realtor in southport and he suggested Oak Island... and thoughts? Is oak island a place for young families or retirees?? Can you suggest and other towns similar to southport that may work for us? Any bit of advise will be GREATLY APPRECIATED! thanks all!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 05:26 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,328,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilm098 View Post
I'm looking for a town with under 10,000 residents, that has plenty of kiddos for my kiddies to befriend, is walkable or bike-friendly, has a decent public school system, low crime and cute downtown shops, possibly with historic homes (I'd love a Victorian). We don't have a lot of $$$ and are looking for a house that will fit us all for under $200k. Is this possible?
Unfortunately, I don't think so.

Quote:
We also visited southport last week and it was adorable, however, I didn't see anything in our price range. We met with a local realtor in southport and he suggested Oak Island... and thoughts? Is oak island a place for young families or retirees??
I'm not intimately familiar with Oak Island, but I do not think its what you're looking for. Its basically a sprawling, seasonal resort town that has a fair number of full-time residents, but not many children. There are no schools on the island.

Quote:
Can you suggest and other towns similar to southport that may work for us? Any bit of advise will be GREATLY APPRECIATED! thanks all!!
If you don't have to be right on the water, maybe look at Winterville, a "suburb" of Greenville. Or Carolina Beach possibly, although again, I don't think your budget will work.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:56 AM

13,323 posts, read 26,782,434 times
Quote:
I'm looking for a town with under 10,000 residents, that has plenty of kiddos for my kiddies to befriend, is walkable or bike-friendly, has a decent public school system, low crime and cute downtown shops, possibly with historic homes (I'd love a Victorian). We don't have a lot of $$$ and are looking for a house that will fit us all for under $200k. Is this possible?
I think you are going to have to sacrific some of your wants. If you concentrate on finding a house with 4-6 bedrooms for under $200K, it is likely to be out in the country. Some examples: Maple Hill and Newport.

The cute downtown shops and historic homes will mean that you have found a tourist destination, and you are likely to be priced out of your budget. One prime example is New Bern, another is Southport.

Or if you find an affordable Victorian, it is likely to be in a run-down town with a higher crime rate and terrible schools. One example of this type is Scotland Neck. Then you will find you can't afford the heating and renovation bills for that beautiful house.

I'd suggest just finding a town where the wage earner can find a decent job to pay for a modern suburban house. Forget about the walkablility and cute shops. You are going to be in a tract-built suburban neighborhood. Then there will be plenty of kids around. Hampstead, Holly Ridge, Sneads Ferry, Richlands or Newport qualifies in this category.

Last edited by goldenage1; 03-17-2015 at 08:19 AM..

Old 03-17-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I'd suggest just finding a town where the wage earner can find a decent job to pay for a modern suburban house. Forget about the walkablility and cute shops. You are going to be in a tract-built suburban neighborhood. Then there will be plenty of kids around. Hampstead, Holly Ridge, Sneads Ferry, Richlands or Newport qualifies in this category.
Even Jacksonville will have 4 bedroom houses under $200K. If you look in real estate search engines for the Piney Green area, or the Hunter's Creek Elementary Schools area, you will have a safe neighborhood with lots of kids, and average/very good schools, and you will be within 30 minutes of the public beaches. You are also close to Swansboro which has the cute shops and walkability you are looking for. Ask me if you want specific listings.

The job market in Jacksonville is not too bad, especially is someone has skills needed by the military such as welding. There seem to be plenty of construction jobs also, just don't expect union wages.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:29 PM

3,060 posts, read 4,796,219 times
Its possible...Washington fits your description. Its on the waterfront.

Swansboro as well...although the housing is higher.

Edenton's housing may be a bit higher as well.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:32 PM

10 posts, read 11,237 times
Thanks so much everyone for all your help! Now I'm getting a better sense of where i should be looking my kids are #1 so a safe community with a lot of kids is where we want to be. Thank you goldenage1 I think I'll check out the jacksonville areas you mentioned. Goldenage1... are you a realtor by any chance?

Old 03-18-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Goldenage1... are you a realtor by any chance?
No I am not a realtor. But if you get closer to a decision, I can suggest some people.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:30 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,721,541 times
The South Carolina coast may be cheaper than NC. Any time you want "the best schools, low crime, near amenities", all of those (not to mention "Historic Victorian homes!!) work in opposition to "low price". Remember the law of Supply and Demand.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:39 AM

3,060 posts, read 4,796,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
The South Carolina coast may be cheaper than NC. Any time you want "the best schools, low crime, near amenities", all of those (not to mention "Historic Victorian homes!!) work in opposition to "low price". Remember the law of Supply and Demand.
I see a lot of...maybe you should look in SC. Question for those that mention that (because I don't know the answer)...are there many schools in SC coast that are considered good? Compare say Wilmington and Myrtle Beach...are Myrtle Beach schools good?

Old 03-20-2015, 01:40 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,403,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post

I don't think so. The SC coast is just as desirable as the NC coast. My 50 year old, 1000 square foot brick ranch home outside of Charleston sold for way more than the OP's budget in 2012. The school system is the best in the state, so that was a factor.

Old homes, especially ones near water, take lots of upkeep. The insurance costs near the coast are also higher, so factor that in. Historic homes in some areas are subject to approval by a board of archetectural review for any changes you may want to make.

Myrtle Beach has no old homes anymore. Not sure about the schools. I know lots of retirees live there year round. Blech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina