Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2008, 07:47 AM

20 posts, read 108,647 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of purchasing a home in Southport. We are really considering St. James Plantation. Can anyone give us pros and cons? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 08:56 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,051,675 times
Barbara- I'm not a local (yet) but did look at St. James Plantation a couple of years ago. It is a lovely planned development and the one that drew us to the area. We know a couple who have lived there for over 10 years and another couple who are currently building a home there. They love it.
The pros (I saw and hear) are location, weather, beach access, ammenities and golf. It has 2 of the premier golf courses in the area. Plantation Properties (the developer) has a good reputation and are developing other communities in the area.
There are plans to build a Seaport in that area, you might want to search Star News Online about all that.
Also check out the elevation of your property as there have been some flooding concerns in the area, but that varies greatly.
Good luck with your research

Old 01-15-2008, 05:33 AM

Thank you so much for your information. You say that you are not a local yet, are you looking in the area. If so, do you mind telling me where.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:09 AM

Barbara, Not at all. We ended up buying property a couple of miles south of St. James at Ocean Ridge Plantation (a Coastal Communities Property). It is very similar to St. James but husband preferred the layout and the golf courses.
The neighbourhood choices are vast and varied in the Brunswick Co. area, good luck with your search!

Old 01-15-2008, 06:24 AM

Is Ocean Ridge a good retirement area. I'm afraid of not meeting people. I have to have friends!!

Old 01-15-2008, 06:42 AM

A lot of the new developments there are wildly popular with the retirement crowd.
We already belong to the Ocean Ridge golf courses and go down and play a couple of times a year.
I could not begin to list the number of activities that are offered, and we have found the folks to be very friendly and very happy- well.. they are retired!
I think what you will find is a lot of folks in your situation from all over the place moving to a new area and wanting to connect with others. Our friends at St. James say the same about that development.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:19 AM

You have been a tremendous help - thank you. We still have a few years to retirement, but would like to get our home now.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:28 AM

We, too, have many years until retirement but wanted to get a piece of property before we were priced out of the Coastal market. We didn't want to have an empty house (in NC) to worry about which is why we just bought the lot (ahem..Homesite) and will build down the road.

I would suggest that you decide what your wants, interests and hobbies are and then look at communities that offer those things. St. James and Ocean Ridge promote themselves as Golf Communities so some of the HOA fees go to support and maintain those ammenities. If you don't use them, there is little point.
There are other communities, like Ocean Isle Palm, that promote nature trails, canoeing, etc.
Every time we travel to Brunswick Co. there is more and more development.
The options are huge!
Have fun looking!

Old 01-15-2008, 08:56 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,942 times
Well, a reasonable argument could be made for Southport being the support system for Bald Head Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina