Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 08:13 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times

Advertisements

I would prefer to spend less than $200,000 for a 2-3 bedroom house or townhouse within about a 30-minute drive to a nice beach. No condos. I will divide my time between Denmark, where I live now, and NC once i retire in a few years.

I was looking at property at New Bern. So, tell me all the awful things about New Bern. You don't need to tell me awful things about Marines. I'm ex-Navy.

Then tell me the good things about New Bern, or tell me about a better area and why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 09:02 AM

577 posts, read 1,902,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
I would prefer to spend less than $200,000 for a 2-3 bedroom house or townhouse within about a 30-minute drive to a nice beach. No condos. I will divide my time between Denmark, where I live now, and NC once i retire in a few years.

I was looking at property at New Bern. So, tell me all the awful things about New Bern. You don't need to tell me awful things about Marines. I'm ex-Navy.

Then tell me the good things about New Bern, or tell me about a better area and why.
Newbern is an hour away from the beach or exactly 52 minutes to the bridge at atlantic beach. Newbern is a river town(trent river and the neuse river) if your looking for a town near the beach try Shallotte,Morehead city,Swansboro, Supply, Calabash ect...

Old 01-20-2008, 04:37 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,245,749 times
I have visited the New Bern and Emerald Isle areas a few times during my lifetime in NC. You just leave out of New Burn, a straight shot down Hwy 70 past Cherry Point, dogleg over to the beaches just before Morehead City, it's less than 30 miles. Those Emerald Isle beaches are lovely. In the post here "Where to go in Outer Banks" is a photograph of those beaches. New Bern has a historical flavor, Southern Federalist style brick buildings, gardens.

Last edited by gigimac; 01-20-2008 at 04:45 AM..

Old 01-20-2008, 07:50 AM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
New Bern would be a wonderful choice...a nice town, lots going on culturally. We just saw a great performance of Once on a Mattress at their community theater--very well done. And there's good boating there--pretty along the Trent River.

Other towns to consider might be Swansboro, Cape Carteret, Beaufort. Yes, I know Beaufort has a reputation as pricey but right now,you can get a 3/2 home for under $200,000 a mile or so from the water--and it would be easy to rent out until you retire.

But New Bern would be just fine if you don't mind the drive to the beach.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:51 PM

32 posts, read 246,672 times
Don't much about housing prices, but New Bern and Swansboro are probably two of my favorite towns in NC. Well, on the coast they are my faves anyway. Might add that you might get a tad bored in Swansboro though, if that sort of things matters - but it's closer to "the beach."

Old 02-09-2008, 12:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,406 times
We are looking in NC as well and keep coming back to New Bern. I have child who will be a sophmore in High school and one in the 8th grade. Howa re the schools...My biggest concern

Old 02-11-2008, 02:36 PM

18 posts, read 77,423 times
Default I a in the same boat so to speak about the coastal area?!

I am living in Northern Ca, moved from Asheville 17 years ago..... who knew it would get to be such a progressive town???

Any how I have two teens, 17 and 15 and would love to find a cool artsy near the ocean town. My folks are living in Black Mountain and would love to be on the same part of the world as them!

I have heard good and bad things about Wilmington... then started to look at Morehead city...

My kids are totally into the idea of the move, however they would be leaving their very California progressive art/music charter school. Anything like this out there?

I of coarse want it all: progressive, historic, music, beach, SAFE, college town with cheap historic fixer uppers. Does this exist or am I dreaming?

Thanks for any help!!

Old 02-11-2008, 03:05 PM

148 posts, read 611,369 times
Western Carteret County is the place to be folks....four small towns right together....about 10k-12k people, all on the water....housing prices are down, boating, golf, and anything else you want is right here....You really need to check this area out....

Old 02-11-2008, 03:07 PM

108 posts, read 375,113 times
Default western carteret?

what cities are there in western carteret?

Old 02-11-2008, 03:12 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
Well, I think perhaps you might be dreaming just a bit...sounds like Eden, though. And wouldn't stay cheap for very long.

You could likely find five out of seven on your list, but not all seven in one town...

Wilmington's the only beach town in NC with a university, others have community colleges or smaller state schools...and none of the beach towns have cheap, historical homes to fix up...Belhaven, Elizabeth City and Edenton might have might have some affordable historic homes (not on the water) to fix up but as far as progressive education, those who live in those towns could better address that.

If you went off the beach and inland to Raleigh, Chapel Hill or Carrboro or Charlotte or Greensboro, you could find the more progressive education you want, but not the cheap, historical fixer-uppers (maybe by CA. standards they'd be considered cheap?). And your beach would be river or lake...

Guess you have to pick which five out of seven on your list you must have and give up two of the others. That's the reality of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina