U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2015, 07:44 PM

4 posts, read 7,393 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move from Boston to the Wilmington area to be closer to my parents and my sister who all live on Oak Island. I am bringing my fiancé to Wilmington for the first time to check out the city so that we can see what the city is like. (We would be moving to the Wilmington area and not Oak Island) We will be staying two nights in Wilmington so that both he and I can get a better feel of the area. What do people recommend we visit/see while we are there so that we get a good idea of what it is like there? (and not just from a tourist perspective)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 05:11 AM

11,253 posts, read 19,782,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suza2037 View Post
We will be staying two nights in Wilmington so that both he and I can get a better feel of the area. What do people recommend we visit/see while we are there so that we get a good idea of what it is like there? (and not just from a tourist perspective)
Two nights is really too little time to get a feel for the area. I'd just suggest locating a few apartments where you can afford to rent, and look around those neighborhoods. Look at whatever amenities would make you happy- restaurants, bars, organic food stores, Independance Mall, bike trails, how you would get to the beach etc. Look at where you might find jobs, and drive the route between the apartment and the possible jobs. Drive down College Road and on Carolina Beach Road and see if you can stand the traffic. Wilmington is a lot smaller than Boston, but it still has heavy traffic brcause it is on a peninsula.

Last edited by goldenage1; 03-21-2015 at 06:33 AM..

Old 03-21-2015, 06:03 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,810,855 times
Walk around downtown, drive out to Wrightsville Beach, maybe down to Carolina Beach. There are only a few main streets in Wilmington...Market Street, Oleander, College Road. Have lunch at Salt Works. As Goldenage suggested, check out some apartments.

Old 03-22-2015, 12:23 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,357,134 times
Here is a recommendation...

Grab some breakfast at Salt Works II on Wrightsville Avenue. Then drive by the Mall/Forest Hills Area on your way downtown. Once you get downtown, park in the deck near Market/Front St. Take a horse drawn carriage ride around the Historic District and the use the Free Trolley to get up to the Cotton Exchange. Have some lunch at one of many eateries downtown.

After lunch head down Market Street and down Eastwood Rd to Wrightsville Beach. Park at the park and walk toward the beach. Get some Ice Cream or go into some surf shops, stroll down the beach a bit toward Johnnie Mercer's pier...then work your way back to the park.

Then drive over to Redix where you can pick up some Wilmington knick-knacks...and finish your day at one of the restaurants right there on the Intercoastal Waterway, preferable sitting outside if the weather is nice.

If you want something to do after that...check out the Thalian Hall productions downtown, or the Dead Crow Comedy Club or stroll Mayfaire and take in a movie.

You can take another day and head to Carolina Beach, be sure to get on the boardwalk and some Britt's donuts...use the Ferry to go over to Southport to see your family in Oak Island.

This will give you a feel for Wilmington...what it is, its features. There is more to see, more to do, but you will understand what Wilmington is about by doing what I posted above.

Old 03-28-2015, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,827 times
I spent one week in Wilmington, a weekend prior to that, before realizing that I wanted to go to school here. Who wouldn't want to go to school at the beach? But that's the thing - college kids.

After I graduated UNCW, I was one of the few and lucky that was able to find a job and start my career on the coast. What's funny is I even ended up moving near the college once I took that big girl step to live solo. I don't mind it - in fact, I feel very safe living near campus. Also, my apartment, although right next to the track field, is great. They are so good about placing their residents in certain buildings based on their profile (age, lifestyle, etc.) so I am in a building that is very quiet with a few other young professionals. Some live alone, some with their significant other.

You can definitely make it work in Wilmington. The job market is tough, think UNCW grads, and competition is fierce, but if you can make it work in Wilmington income/area wise, it's a great place to live. Beaches all around with a short 2 hour drive west to the Triangle if you ever needed a more "city" feel. Downtown is great. Hate the night life but love it during the day. There's more places other than downtown to get your night life fix in. Various bars and restaurants all over & the ever popular beach bars (UNCW students [dubbers as I deem them] will infest that area, you've been warned.)

Traffic sucks. Traffic patterns are horrible. It gets so congested and even when it's not, there's always that chance of getting behind someone going 20 in a 35 mph zone, the most unnerving thing. I've gotten used to that but road rage is still something I deal with there. I only had my license for a year in NJ before moving to NC so I probably would have similar road rage dealing with the northern congestion. The congestion in Wilmington gets pretty bad though. Very irritating at times.

The way I see it there's going to be strengths and weaknesses to every city. The main concern would be attaining work and finding a place that suits you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina