U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2015, 10:39 AM

53 posts, read 78,496 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking for a calm couple days on a beach for the weekend of April 24th and 25th. A place that is not too expensive to drive from the dc area and stay at and is not full of crazy college kids. It would be nice if there is a fun strip for shopping and stuff. But no huge boardwalk is necessary. Would it be best to find a hotel to stay at or find a place on airbnb. it would be nice to have a kitchen since we are driving there. Also wondering if the weather will be nice by then. Or do we just need to check the forecast. Where would you all suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 11:58 AM

11,261 posts, read 19,800,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimo734 View Post
My wife and I are looking for a calm couple days on a beach for the weekend of April 24th and 25th. A place that is not too expensive to drive from the dc area and stay at and is not full of crazy college kids. It would be nice if there is a fun strip for shopping and stuff. But no huge boardwalk is necessary. Would it be best to find a hotel to stay at or find a place on airbnb. it would be nice to have a kitchen since we are driving there. Also wondering if the weather will be nice by then. Or do we just need to check the forecast. Where would you all suggest?
I'd suggest somewhere between Corolla and Kitty Hawk on the Outer Banks. The Sanderling Resort is very nice, but I don't know if it fits your definition of cheap. You might also check the Corolla Light Resort.

Nobody can guarantee the weather-- it could be hot, warm or cool.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:13 AM

4,958 posts, read 2,204,220 times
At the other end of the state ....

I would consider Brunswick County.

You have Caswell Beach, Holden Beach, Ocean Isle Beach, Sunset Beach, Long Beach, Yaupon Beach in addition to Bald Head Island, Bird Island, and Oak Island.

Some of the beaches are included on some of the islands. Bird Island is more of a reserve and some what secluded. Bald Head has rentals and B&B's but is higher end and may not be in your price range.

Non the less, Ocean Isle, Sunset and Oak Island have a tremendous number of houses for rent as well as an assortment of smaller hotels and motels.

All are moderately developed with local fishing piers and good restaurants. If you want a "big time beach" with shows and what ever, Myrtle Beach is less than an hour away from most of these locations.

Towns in the county include Southport, Calabash and Shallote. All have their own charm as smaller NC coastal towns.

Over all its a great mix of rural and bright lights and I am sure you can find what you are looking for in a visit to the coast.

Good luck.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:22 AM

Has the OP considered drive times? They are kinda long for just a weekend. Kitty Hawk is about 4.5 hours from Washington DC. Oak Island is 6 hours. Other places on the coast are in between those times.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:37 AM

5,417 posts, read 5,403,151 times
Beaufort and Emerald Isle. To us the perfect getaway. Have fun!

Old 03-22-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimo734 View Post
Would it be best to find a hotel to stay at or find a place on airbnb. it would be nice to have a kitchen since we are driving there.
Find a hotel with kitchen facilities. I have no idea if anyone lists beach houses on AirBNB.

Old 03-22-2015, 04:02 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,360,902 times
The beach in April for the most part is cold. Because the water is still cold. It is as much as 10 degrees colder once you cross the dunes. So a 70 degree day becomes 60...80 becomes 70...and the breezes are cold so it feels colder than it is.

I would recommend staying in Downtown Wilmington, which would give you the ability to go over to the beach if the weather happens to be great. If its not, there is plenty to do like the Cotton Exchange shops, restaurants and just stroll along the Riverwalk. Its a great time of year for that.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:11 AM

53 posts, read 78,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
The beach in April for the most part is cold. Because the water is still cold. It is as much as 10 degrees colder once you cross the dunes. So a 70 degree day becomes 60...80 becomes 70...and the breezes are cold so it feels colder than it is.

I would recommend staying in Downtown Wilmington, which would give you the ability to go over to the beach if the weather happens to be great. If its not, there is plenty to do like the Cotton Exchange shops, restaurants and just stroll along the Riverwalk. Its a great time of year for that.
thanks for that you are helping me realize I just need to plan and pay to go to Florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina