U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2015, 04:41 PM

76 posts, read 75,482 times

Advertisements

So my woman friend fears these large reptiles may snap her up will swimming in the waters off New Bern. I argue that yes. one or two 'gators have been spotted on the inner swampy areas up river and in the tributaries, but these creatures USUALLY stay within their habitat, not in the brackish deeper waters of Pamlico Sound.
But we only visit the New Bern area and would like some community opinion on this subject. We kayak and sail and may eventually decide to move to the Neuse Rivier region. Are there alligators swarming off the waters of New Bern?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 05:24 PM

4,957 posts, read 2,199,286 times
Sure ... and black bears .... black widow spiders ... fire ants ... yellow jackets ... termites .... foxes .... sharks .... jelly fish ... barracuda .... lion fish ... Portuguese man O' war ... tornadoes ... water spouts .... hurricanes ... and some of the worst lighting in the nation ....... its not safe around New Bern at all

Old 03-29-2015, 02:38 PM

1,964 posts, read 2,552,414 times
I'd worry about brown recluse spiders, hurricanes and water moccasins before gators.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:15 PM

19,506 posts, read 17,752,194 times
We used to kayak a lot and never saw a gator near New Bern. That said, I would never swim in our river ways. Water is too polluted for that thanks to pig farms and contamination from big industries up river from us.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:59 PM

10,679 posts, read 11,303,639 times
There are definitely gators in Craven Co. There are quite a few of them around New Bern and Jacksonville. We don't have Florida numbers or anything, but they're there. Here's the thing you need to know, though:

Outdoor Column: Gators are a part of life in North Carolina
Quote:
That doesn’t mean there is any reason to be concerned about being attacked by an alligator unless you’re a beaver, nutria, muskrat, fish – or perhaps a dog. There have been only four recorded cases of a human being bitten by an alligator in North Carolina and, in each of those instances, the person instigated the contact.
Alligator population growing in Craven - Local - Sun Journal
Dog killed by alligator in Jacksonville - Cops, Courts And Calamity - Sun Journal
Brothers spot alligator in Craven County community | News - WCTI NewsChannel 12
Later gator: Roaming reptile found on side of U.S. 70 - Local - Sun Journal
10-foot alligator shows up on North Carolina beach
How Many Alligators in N.C? (this one has my favorite ever picture of a gator in NC, down in Brunswick County)

That said, I wouldn't let fear of gators dissuade you from the New Bern area. They definitely are there, but your chances of encountering one are not high. Don't feed 'em if you see 'em and stay away from any nests.

Last edited by poppydog; 03-29-2015 at 04:33 PM..

Old 03-29-2015, 06:31 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,809,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
We used to kayak a lot and never saw a gator near New Bern. That said, I would never swim in our river ways. Water is too polluted for that thanks to pig farms and contamination from big industries up river from us.
This.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:48 AM

5,222 posts, read 5,090,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
sure ... And black bears .... Black widow spiders ... Fire ants ... Yellow jackets ... Termites .... Foxes .... Sharks .... Jelly fish ... Barracuda .... Lion fish ... Portuguese man o' war ... Tornadoes ... Water spouts .... Hurricanes ...

Locusts!!!!!

Old 04-03-2015, 10:04 AM

4,957 posts, read 2,199,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Locusts!!!!!

...and if you go to church ....

Fire and Brimstone

Old 04-11-2015, 08:43 PM

76 posts, read 75,482 times
I thank you all for the eye-opening information. First replier: You left out earthquakes and Elephant stampedes. I enjoyed your warnings and will be careful, but still feel that the New Bern area has a magic attraction. Washington is another town that we want to visit.
Thank you all.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:29 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,039,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambrichard View Post
Washington is another town that we want to visit.
Thank you all.
Stay near the river in Washington. The town quickly turns to typical Eastern NC rundown town away from the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or