U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 10:58 AM

2,825 posts, read 3,269,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
How about the UNC-W admissions office?

Here's some info from their website:

Minimum Requirements for Consideration

Meet Minimum Course Requirements (for applicants under the age of 21)
Graduated from an accredited high school or have obtained a General Equivalency Diploma (GED) or received an Adult High School Diploma
Eligibility to return to the last institution you attended
A cumulative 2.5 GPA on a 4.0 scale on all transferable work attempted from all institutions you have attended
Please note: Grades below a 'C' including 'C-' are not transferable
At least 24 semester hours of transferable college-level coursework, including:
At least 6 hours of college-level English
At least 3 hours of college-level mathematics
Please note: Spring admission is highly competitive and dependent upon space availability

If you would like more information, please watch a brief video where a UNCW Transfer Coordinator will explain the Minimum Course Requirements in more detail
Okay, that's not so bad, then. I only have 2 hours of math, but thanks for the info! I'll work out something, I'm sure it'll all be alright.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 11:29 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,232,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Very true. The school I'm currently attending (Guilford) isn't too different from a high school. I see the same people every day (which is getting super tiring), and there's no point hanging around the campus on weekends unless you're into partying. Most of the students don't have cars because many are from out of state, so they'll do anything to pass the time on campus. Instead of taking day trips around NC or visiting downtown Greensboro (I've offered, since so many kids don't have cars), most of them are satisfied staying on campus partying and doing nothing. I'm not about that lifestyle at all. Greensboro is kinda lame IMO, too (reminds me of a countrified version of Cary).

Although Boone is super cool, don't you like Wilmington? Do you know if UNCW students hang around downtown a lot? I love those college towns where students hang around downtown going to all the restaurants, music venues, etc. Again, I just need to go down there and check it out, take a tour. I still don't know if I've been accepted, either.

As far as the no car issue, that's no excuse when Greensboro has both the Heat(free) and the PART bus, not only can they ride a bus made specifically for students, but they can take a trip to boone or winston, or various other places for maybe 2.50 round trip with student ID.

As far as Greensboro being a countriefied Cary, have to disagree, especially looking at Cary's Downtown and Greensboro's and the fact that Greensboro has various other things that not even Raleigh has such as a Water park and a aquarium heck even a downtown baseball stadium(even though that is mainly due to a proximity rule). I think the lameness comes in to perception to those who don't branch out, Guilford college isn't located further from downtown, so if you pretty much stay there you will be bored.

As far as the school goes, heck with Guilford being private you would be saving money if you did transfer.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
As far as the no car issue, that's no excuse when Greensboro has both the Heat(free) and the PART bus, not only can they ride a bus made specifically for students, but they can take a trip to boone or winston, or various other places for maybe 2.50 round trip with student ID.

As far as Greensboro being a countriefied Cary, have to disagree, especially looking at Cary's Downtown and Greensboro's and the fact that Greensboro has various other things that not even Raleigh has such as a Water park and a aquarium heck even a downtown baseball stadium(even though that is mainly due to a proximity rule). I think the lameness comes in to perception to those who don't branch out, Guilford college isn't located further from downtown, so if you pretty much stay there you will be bored.

As far as the school goes, heck with Guilford being private you would be saving money if you did transfer.
Saving money is another reason, yes.

I mean, Greensboro is alright, but it's kind of a step down from what I'm used to coming from North Raleigh. It feels a little more dated, and I have a car so I've traveled around plenty. Like Raleigh, it's largely suburban, but it also feels more countrified to me in the same vein as the older and smaller NC towns like Lexington or Burlington. It's also not as vibrant, definitely a step down from downtown Raleigh or Chapel Hill although a few pockets like Elm Street are getting better. The Triad lacks something like RTP, and has been flying under the radar for quite some time, unlike Raleigh/Durham and Charlotte. You can compare the three from the amount of CD threads on each forum, it actually makes sense. Again, I don't really dislike Greensboro, but I can't see myself staying here for much longer (for a variety of reasons).

And actually, I don't believe the buses stop at Guilford anymore, at least that's what I've heard. Anyway, it's true that most students rarely leave the campus. I've met students who have been here for years, and still haven't visited Charlotte, Asheville, Chapel Hill, Raleigh, Wilmington, etc. Many of them can't go out, either they don't have the money or any transportation. However, many prefer hanging around the campus and don't feel the need to venture out.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:14 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,232,765 times
Quote:
Saving money is another reason, yes.

I mean, Greensboro is alright, but it's kind of a step down from what I'm used to coming from North Raleigh. It feels a little more dated, and I have a car so I've traveled around plenty. Like Raleigh, it's largely suburban, but it also feels more countrified to me in the same vein as the older and smaller NC towns like Lexington or Burlington. It's also not as vibrant, definitely a step down from downtown Raleigh or Chapel Hill although a few pockets like Elm Street are getting better. The Triad lacks something like RTP, and has been flying under the radar for quite some time, unlike Raleigh/Durham and Charlotte. You can compare the three from the amount of CD threads on each forum, it actually makes sense. Again, I don't really dislike Greensboro, but I can't see myself staying here for much longer (for a variety of reasons).

And actually, I don't believe the buses stop at Guilford anymore, at least that's what I've heard. Anyway, it's true that most students rarely leave the campus. I've met students who have been here for years, and still haven't visited Charlotte, Asheville, Chapel Hill, Raleigh, Wilmington, etc. Many of them can't go out, either they don't have the money or any transportation. However, many prefer hanging around the campus and don't feel the need to venture out.
Greensboro has a lot of potential, especially with all the projects they have in the works, the Triad does lack RTP but Gate way research park, the coming Union Square and Winston Salem's innovation quarter are steps in the right direction. As far as students being places for years and not branching out, I'm not surprised, there are tons of people who don't know anything about the cities in which they live because they stay in the same spot instead exploring where they live. I know I couldn't do it, Guilford is a small campus how in the world do they not at least campus hop. I think the heat does still go there, but the regular gta still comes it's free, and it's usually pretty empty. As far as things to do(honestly the nothing to do comes from staying put, no way I could just chill on campus) check out either Triad City Beat or Yes Weekly(similar to the Indy) while you're still there.

Getting back to the whole transferring schools, Wilmington is nice place, but was wondering have you gave Chapel Hill a look, or is it one of those too close to home things?

Old 03-30-2015, 06:15 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,748,091 times
Quote:
But does anyone know if UNCW is tough to get into with a GPA around a solid 3? Also, anyone know which history dept is stronger between UNCW and App? I think I might go into teaching history. Again, I know these are pretty specific questions, though. I just didn't know who else to ask.
My daughter is a senior, now, but she was laughed at when she applied to UNCW. They have really, really tightened up down there and are working hard to shed the party image.

More relevantly, a number of her (high achieving) friends in high school had very high tests scores and very high GPA's and did not get into to Wilmington.

I clearly remember the shock waves when girl after girl, fully expecting to get in, were turned down.

I don't think a 3.0 will get you a look.

Good luck, however.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Greensboro has a lot of potential, especially with all the projects they have in the works, the Triad does lack RTP but Gate way research park, the coming Union Square and Winston Salem's innovation quarter are steps in the right direction. As far as students being places for years and not branching out, I'm not surprised, there are tons of people who don't know anything about the cities in which they live because they stay in the same spot instead exploring where they live. I know I couldn't do it, Guilford is a small campus how in the world do they not at least campus hop. I think the heat does still go there, but the regular gta still comes it's free, and it's usually pretty empty. As far as things to do(honestly the nothing to do comes from staying put, no way I could just chill on campus) check out either Triad City Beat or Yes Weekly(similar to the Indy) while you're still there.

Getting back to the whole transferring schools, Wilmington is nice place, but was wondering have you gave Chapel Hill a look, or is it one of those too close to home things?
I'd love to attend Chapel Hill, but my grades aren't high enough for transferring over. It's still pretty tough, just as it is for incoming freshmen. I don't really care about being close to home, in fact I'd prefer not being terribly far from Raleigh. Might look into Chapel Hill for Grad School, though. I want to study the history of North Carolina and the South, Chapel Hill is excellent for that.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:34 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,811,900 times
Quote:

HEAT bus doesn't run anywhere near Guilford College. Regular GTA buses aren't free, and run such limited schedules as to be almost worthless. For example, the last #7 bus (which serves Guilford College), leaves downtown at 10:00 PM on Saturday...most college students don't even head out before then. If a Guilford student rode the bus downtown to watch a Grasshoppers game, they'd have to leave before the game was over to even catch the bus back to campus.

Perhaps there's a reason they're usually empty.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
My daughter is a senior, now, but she was laughed at when she applied to UNCW. They have really, really tightened up down there and are working hard to shed the party image.

More relevantly, a number of her (high achieving) friends in high school had very high tests scores and very high GPA's and did not get into to Wilmington.

I clearly remember the shock waves when girl after girl, fully expecting to get in, were turned down.

I don't think a 3.0 will get you a look.

Good luck, however.
Seriously?

From what I've heard, it isn't too difficult to transfer into, especially if you're transferring in from a school like Guilford College over a community college (tons of kids are attending comm college for two years out of high school, then transferring over). However, they really want to see a strong essay which you're required to write as a part of the transfer process. Again, only what I've heard.

Another quick question, I'm a history major and have received strong grades in my history classes here at Guilford. However, last semester was a toughie. I received C's in classes that were required at Guilford, unrelated to my major like an art and criminal justice class. I've received strong grades in history and English, though. Also, I'm not planning on taking too many classes unrelated to history in the future. Will UNCW care about those grades in the classes unrelated to my major? Hope this isn't a dumb question.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
HEAT bus doesn't run anywhere near Guilford College. Regular GTA buses aren't free, and run such limited schedules as to be almost worthless. For example, the last #7 bus (which serves Guilford College), leaves downtown at 10:00 PM on Saturday...most college students don't even head out before then. If a Guilford student rode the bus downtown to watch a Grasshoppers game, they'd have to leave before the game was over to even catch the bus back to campus.

Perhaps there's a reason they're usually empty.
This is what I thought, because I heard they don't come this far out anymore. Guilford College is kinda out in the suburbs, it'll take 10-15 mins to head into downtown on Friendly Ave. Anyway, point is, most students stick around the campus and aren't interested in venturing out or exploring. Being stranded on campus would drive me crazy, but tons of kids don't mind at all.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:06 PM

Thanks for the info, everyone! Feel free to keep it coming, really hoping I'll get in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina