U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 08:04 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,237,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
HEAT bus doesn't run anywhere near Guilford College. Regular GTA buses aren't free, and run such limited schedules as to be almost worthless. For example, the last #7 bus (which serves Guilford College), leaves downtown at 10:00 PM on Saturday...most college students don't even head out before then. If a Guilford student rode the bus downtown to watch a Grasshoppers game, they'd have to leave before the game was over to even catch the bus back to campus.

Perhaps there's a reason they're usually empty.
For students it is free(transit is included in tuition so technically all students have actually paid for it, the only thing that isn't free is the PART bus but it is discounted), and I was a student at NC A&T, used to ride all the time including to Guilford College, I live in Cary now but even after graduating, my student ID was still active, so if they stopped going to Guilford College it must be a relatively recent development(I'm guessing with in 2 years) but the heat bus used to run all the way until 3 am(looks like it still does:http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/modules...cumentid=23834)

Looking at the site they must have stopped that route but it used to either be able to have the choice to take bus 7 or the heat bus to guilford college, but transit is still free(with student ID) and even with limited hours, they can still get off campus and even take a random trip on the PART bus which is about maybe 1.50 now with student ID. The weekend hours suck but if that same game is on Friday they would probably be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 06:43 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,818,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
For students it is free(transit is included in tuition so technically all students have actually paid for it,
That MAY be true for UNC-G and A&T, but I doubt its so for Guilford. I don't see anything on Guilford's website that indicates that.

Quote:
...so if they stopped going to Guilford College it must be a relatively recent development(I'm guessing with in 2 years)...
Yes, well, its only the current situation that has any relevance. What used to be is neither here nor there.

Quote:
...even take a random trip on the PART bus which is about maybe 1.50 now with student ID.
Yes, by first getting on the #7 bus, riding it to the Transit Center downtown, then getting on a PART bus, then coming back to downtown, getting back on the #7, coordinating the times, connections, etc. Really, how realistic is that? I'd say not very.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:24 AM

1,315 posts, read 1,237,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
That MAY be true for UNC-G and A&T, but I doubt its so for Guilford. I don't see anything on Guilford's website that indicates that.

Yes, well, its only the current situation that has any relevance. What used to be is neither here nor there.

Yes, by first getting on the #7 bus, riding it to the Transit Center downtown, then getting on a PART bus, then coming back to downtown, getting back on the #7, coordinating the times, connections, etc. Really, how realistic is that? I'd say not very.
It is not that bad, I used to take bus 12 to downtown, get on the Part Bus, took a trip to Pilot Mountain just to find out the bus stops 10 miles from Pilot Mountain State Park, ran to the Mountain, didn't leave until 3 hours later, ran back, got lucky somebody seen me running and gave me a ride, caught the PART bus back home, got back on bus 12 and went back home. It is adventure not the most convenient trip, but it was better then staying home for me(I am one of those guys who just can't sit still), heck the bus for A&T students wasn't free my first year, So I would biked to school, and to Friendly(for work) back home, then back to school(for second job on campus). Bus 7 is one of the better buses as far as routes go, bus 12 was hella packed all time and still is.

All I'm saying is there are transportation options(not the most convenient but it's there)back to the subject(don't want to hijack this thread) To the original poster, if possible, you could take summer courses there that way you can get to know some of the professors and the history program at UNCW and maybe make transferring a little easier.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:33 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,274,333 times
Thanks for the advice! I'm just hoping I'll actually get in, between my two picks of UNCW and App State, I prefer UNCW.

Old 03-31-2015, 01:06 PM

269 posts, read 348,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Thanks for the advice! I'm just hoping I'll actually get in, between my two picks of UNCW and App State, I prefer UNCW.
I know people that have transferred there with similar grades. I got into UNCW fresh out of HS a few years ago with grades that weren't great. Each applicant is reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

Old 03-31-2015, 01:36 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,274,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullGoodBearBad View Post
I know people that have transferred there with similar grades. I got into UNCW fresh out of HS a few years ago with grades that weren't great. Each applicant is reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Good to hear! Thanks for the info!

Old 04-03-2015, 07:45 AM

353 posts, read 472,628 times
I don't know anything about UNCW's history department, but I can tell you that UNCW isn't very preppy, it's more of a beach bum/surfer school. Fraternities are negligible, they've never had a strong presence.

You should go where you feel most comfortable, though. Take some time to visit the campus and the city, do the same at Appalachian, see which one feels right to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina