Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 10:02 AM

277 posts, read 435,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
My younger sister is on her 5th year at UNCW and probably has at least another 1 or 2 to go before she gets her degree. It's a school near the beach..definitely has a more laid-back student body. Not quite the drunken academically-apathetic party school that ECU has gained the reputation as; but not a place most people think of as a very "rigorous" academic institution. The lack of any decent Division I sports teams ruled it out for me personally back in the day but I realize that's not a priority for everyone. I just couldn't imagine "college" without football or basketball games!

FWIW...UNCW actually has a lower acceptance rate than NCSU. Most likely because it has a higher number of people from out of state who apply to go to beach school in a warm climate.
Whoa, let's pump the brakes here. Your post is a perfect example of how numbers skew reality. NCSU's acceptance rate is 2% lower than UNCW. The reason UNCW has this acceptance rate is two fold: number of applicants, and size. UNCW has less than half the number of students that ECU has, and about a third of what NC State has. With an enrollment of just over 12,000 it's easy to be selective. If you'd cut ECU down to the 12,000 brightest students, the selection rate would plummet and averages for test scores, etc. would skyrocket (ECU is already the third largest public research university in the state in terms of expenditures). UNCW's D1 teams are as good as the administration will allow them to be, but that shouldn't be a priority for anyone when choosing a school. UNCW they have a solid history department and are geographically primed for anyone who wishes to study the south. There's a laid back atmosphere- not too preppy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 01:03 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times
Quote:
If you haven't already; I'd suggest touring the campuses. UNCW's campus left a lot to be desired for me personally. If you are into history; the city of Wilmington may have a lot of it; but UNCW's campus is all relatively new. The University didn't even exist until 1947 and most of it's current buildings weren't built until 30+ years later. It's also a very widely scattered campus. That means there is a lot of nice greenspace; but the buildings are FAR away from each other.

If I were choosing between App and UNCW my choice would be App without giving it much thought but that's just based off my personal preferences.
Any specific reasons if you don't mind me asking?

Old 03-29-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullGoodBearBad View Post
Whoa, let's pump the brakes here. Your post is a perfect example of how numbers skew reality. NCSU's acceptance rate is 2% lower than UNCW. The reason UNCW has this acceptance rate is two fold: number of applicants, and size. UNCW has less than half the number of students that ECU has, and about a third of what NC State has. With an enrollment of just over 12,000 it's easy to be selective. If you'd cut ECU down to the 12,000 brightest students, the selection rate would plummet and averages for test scores, etc. would skyrocket (ECU is already the third largest public research university in the state in terms of expenditures). UNCW's D1 teams are as good as the administration will allow them to be, but that shouldn't be a priority for anyone when choosing a school. UNCW they have a solid history department and are geographically primed for anyone who wishes to study the south. There's a laid back atmosphere- not too preppy.
Good to hear. I'm really not into the preppy lifestyle, or all the frats.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:35 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Any specific reasons if you don't mind me asking?
1. While in hindsight this wouldn't have mattered in the long run as my degree is not particularly relevant to my career now; minus the fact that I had to have a bachelor's; App has more in the way of what I was studying (better business school, parks and rec department

2. I prefer the mountains to the beach.

3. Sports teams. App has football, UNCW does not. Neither school has a good DI basketball team though

4. Campus. The App state campus is beautiful and Boone is more of a "college town" than Wilmington. Wilmington is a beautiful city but when I was in college; I wanted to be in a college town. See my previous remarks with regard's to UNCW's campus

I went to ECU for a year before transferring to Chapel Hill and I hated every minute of being at ECU. It's important to be happy with the school you are attending. The above reasons I listed may sound petty to some and that's fine; what matters most is what makes you happy in a school. Your degree is obviously THE most the important part of the college experience but there are many other personal factors to consider as well.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
1. While in hindsight this wouldn't have mattered in the long run as my degree is not particularly relevant to my career now; minus the fact that I had to have a bachelor's; App has more in the way of what I was studying (better business school, parks and rec department

2. I prefer the mountains to the beach.

3. Sports teams. App has football, UNCW does not. Neither school has a good DI basketball team though

4. Campus. The App state campus is beautiful and Boone is more of a "college town" than Wilmington. Wilmington is a beautiful city but when I was in college; I wanted to be in a college town. See my previous remarks with regard's to UNCW's campus

I went to ECU for a year before transferring to Chapel Hill and I hated every minute of being at ECU. It's important to be happy with the school you are attending. The above reasons I listed may sound petty to some and that's fine; what matters most is what makes you happy in a school. Your degree is obviously THE most the important part of the college experience but there are many other personal factors to consider as well.
Very true. The school I'm currently attending (Guilford) isn't too different from a high school. I see the same people every day (which is getting super tiring), and there's no point hanging around the campus on weekends unless you're into partying. Most of the students don't have cars because many are from out of state, so they'll do anything to pass the time on campus. Instead of taking day trips around NC or visiting downtown Greensboro (I've offered, since so many kids don't have cars), most of them are satisfied staying on campus partying and doing nothing. I'm not about that lifestyle at all. Greensboro is kinda lame IMO, too (reminds me of a countrified version of Cary).

Although Boone is super cool, don't you like Wilmington? Do you know if UNCW students hang around downtown a lot? I love those college towns where students hang around downtown going to all the restaurants, music venues, etc. Again, I just need to go down there and check it out, take a tour. I still don't know if I've been accepted, either.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:22 PM

Anyone know if UNCW is tough for transfer students, too? My GPA is around a 3 here at Guilford, although I'm making excellent grades this semester (last semester was a toughie). However, I've already submitted my application, still haven't heard back.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:03 PM

277 posts, read 435,951 times
Quote:
Very true. The school I'm currently attending (Guilford) isn't too different from a high school. I see the same people every day (which is getting super tiring), and there's no point hanging around the campus on weekends unless you're into partying. Most of the students don't have cars because many are from out of state, so they'll do anything to pass the time on campus. Instead of taking day trips around NC or visiting downtown Greensboro (I've offered, since so many kids don't have cars), most of them are satisfied staying on campus partying and doing nothing. I'm not about that lifestyle at all. Greensboro is kinda lame IMO, too (reminds me of a countrified version of Cary).

Although Boone is super cool, don't you like Wilmington? Do you know if UNCW students hang around downtown a lot? I love those college towns where students hang around downtown going to all the restaurants, music venues, etc. Again, I just need to go down there and check it out, take a tour. I still don't know if I've been accepted, either.
UNCW students hang out downtown, at the beach, and around town. Keep in mind the population size relative to the amount of students that attend UNCW. If all of the students were spread around town, 1 out of every 13 or so people will be students.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:58 AM

1,290 posts, read 1,595,835 times
Wilmington is a city that happens to have a university. The university doesn't influence the city much at all. If you're not into college life there's still plenty to do. That's my observation anyway, and being in Greenville my whole life where it is the exact opposite it was pretty obvious to me.

I don't think you'd have a hard time fitting in at App State at all. If you even need to "fit in" there. Boone is a pretty independent place. It's not a preppy student body and there's a wide variety of types of people there.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:42 AM

But does anyone know if UNCW is tough to get into with a GPA around a solid 3? Also, anyone know which history dept is stronger between UNCW and App? I think I might go into teaching history. Again, I know these are pretty specific questions, though. I just didn't know who else to ask.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:52 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Quote:
But does anyone know if UNCW is tough to get into with a GPA around a solid 3? Also, anyone know which history dept is stronger between UNCW and App? I think I might go into teaching history. Again, I know these are pretty specific questions, though. I just didn't know who else to ask.
How about the UNC-W admissions office?

Here's some info from their website:

Minimum Requirements for Consideration

Meet Minimum Course Requirements (for applicants under the age of 21)
Graduated from an accredited high school or have obtained a General Equivalency Diploma (GED) or received an Adult High School Diploma
Eligibility to return to the last institution you attended
A cumulative 2.5 GPA on a 4.0 scale on all transferable work attempted from all institutions you have attended
Please note: Grades below a 'C' including 'C-' are not transferable
At least 24 semester hours of transferable college-level coursework, including:
At least 6 hours of college-level English
At least 3 hours of college-level mathematics
Please note: Spring admission is highly competitive and dependent upon space availability

If you would like more information, please watch a brief video where a UNCW Transfer Coordinator will explain the Minimum Course Requirements in more detail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina