U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2015, 07:29 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,263,785 times

Advertisements

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any info on UNCW? It can be anything, good or bad. Is it a preppy school? Similar to any other NC universities? Thinking about possibly transferring, appreciate any info.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 08:21 PM

10,671 posts, read 11,292,569 times
It's okay. Bit of a party school but you can get a good education there if you don't mess around too much. It's not a big sports school. Don't believe they have a football team. Of course, it's at the beach! Maybe similar to UNC-G, but at the beach? Sort of a stretch, but ECU and App State are such big football schools it's hard to compare it to them.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:39 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,228,350 times
where are you at now? make sure they have your major, no reason to have to switch programs and have to stay in school longer then you intended. When ever you get a chance take a weekend trip, get info from students who will be quick to tell you both the good and the bad.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
where are you at now? make sure they have your major, no reason to have to switch programs and have to stay in school longer then you intended. When ever you get a chance take a weekend trip, get info from students who will be quick to tell you both the good and the bad.
Guilford College in Greensboro. Applied to UNCW before the deadline, they have my major (history). I'd be transferring in for my junior year. I'll definitely take your advice!

Old 03-28-2015, 10:56 PM

21,961 posts, read 27,242,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Guilford College in Greensboro. Applied to UNCW before the deadline, they have my major (history). I'd be transferring in for my junior year. I'll definitely take your advice!
Doesn't ECU have a really good history department?

I have to ask you, have you worked with the Quaker records?

Old 03-28-2015, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Doesn't ECU have a really good history department?

I have to ask you, have you worked with the Quaker records?
Actually, I haven't! But I really should before I (hopefully) transfer out after this semester. It's mostly personal reasons why I want a different school, and I'm also looking for something bigger and a change of scenery.

I'm not too interested in ECU, I really like the Wilmington area. For one, it's incredibly historic and I'm planning on possibly volunteering as a tour guide down there at a Civil War site. I want to focus on the history of North Carolina, the South, and the Civil War mostly.

A few things about me, though. I'm not a preppy person at all, and you'll never see me go near a frat. I'm not exactly into the party lifestyle, but I know that exists at every school. I'm kind of a nerdy and intellectual guy, along with being more of an introvert. Definitely not into drugs or drinking, either. I'm just curious about the image UNCW holds, because I'm not really sure. I know schools like ECU and App State really hold the "party school" rep.

Last edited by JayJayCB; 03-28-2015 at 11:23 PM..

Old 03-28-2015, 11:41 PM

21,961 posts, read 27,242,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Actually, I haven't! But I really should before I (hopefully) transfer out after this semester. It's mostly personal reasons why I want a different school, and I'm also looking for something bigger and a change of scenery.

I'm not too interested in ECU, I really like the Wilmington area. For one, it's incredibly historic and I'm planning on possibly volunteering as a tour guide down there at a Civil War site. I want to focus on the history of North Carolina, the South, and the Civil War mostly.

A few things about me, though. I'm not a preppy person at all, and you'll never see me go near a frat. I'm not exactly into the party lifestyle, but I know that exists at every school. I'm kind of a nerdy and intellectual guy, along with being more of an introvert. Definitely not into drugs or drinking, either. I'm just curious about the image UNCW holds, because I'm not really sure. I know schools like ECU and App State really hold the "party school" rep.
Well, before you jump, google Civil War talk radio. I highly recommend approaching the war from both sides.

Just wondered if you'd used the archives. At some point I need to get into them. I know the people, but need some details. I don't mind the digging. Archives are my idea of a good time.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:59 AM

3,740 posts, read 2,556,056 times
My younger sister is on her 5th year at UNCW and probably has at least another 1 or 2 to go before she gets her degree. It's a school near the beach..definitely has a more laid-back student body. Not quite the drunken academically-apathetic party school that ECU has gained the reputation as; but not a place most people think of as a very "rigorous" academic institution. The lack of any decent Division I sports teams ruled it out for me personally back in the day but I realize that's not a priority for everyone. I just couldn't imagine "college" without football or basketball games!

FWIW...UNCW actually has a lower acceptance rate than NCSU. Most likely because it has a higher number of people from out of state who apply to go to beach school in a warm climate.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:22 AM

I'm debating between UNCW and App State, along with possibly looking into Chapel Hill for Grad School in a few years (currently a sophomore at Guilford). Being a history major, I appreciate the amount of history/historic sites in the Wilmington area that you don't really have in Boone, at least to a lesser extent. I love the mountains, but I know how cold it gets up in Boone. Hell, even Greensboro seems colder (and much more windy) than Raleigh! I prefer humid. Also, I don't like being terribly far from Raleigh, and Wilmington isn't a bad drive. I would hit all the Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Burlington, and Durham traffic coming back and forth from Boone, along with being three hours away. There's nothing between Raleigh and Wilmington, the drive doesn't take terribly long.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:09 AM

3,740 posts, read 2,556,056 times
If you haven't already; I'd suggest touring the campuses. UNCW's campus left a lot to be desired for me personally. If you are into history; the city of Wilmington may have a lot of it; but UNCW's campus is all relatively new. The University didn't even exist until 1947 and most of it's current buildings weren't built until 30+ years later. It's also a very widely scattered campus. That means there is a lot of nice greenspace; but the buildings are FAR away from each other.

If I were choosing between App and UNCW my choice would be App without giving it much thought but that's just based off my personal preferences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina