U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 07:44 AM

6 posts, read 8,578 times

Advertisements

Hello, I currently live on the eastern side of PA and seriously thinking of moving to North Carolina, just trying to decide where. I plan to visit this summer, to try to get a feel. I am leaning towards the Greensville area but read wonderful things about Asheville. I think I would prefer to be closer to the coast. My first question is jobs. I currently work in Office Administration so I would need to find a job in that line. How is the economy there and are jobs hard to find? Is there a better area in NC for these type of jobs? I am also 50 years of age, single, and love biking. I know that Greensville is a college town but is it okay for my age group? Are there things to do such as biking and socialized events? I have one daughter in college and another one out of high school in two years so I was thinking of making this move after she finishes high school. With that being said, the school district of where I move to isn't a big concern but safety, jobs, traffic, and weather are. Can anyone recommend any cities to me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 08:20 AM

11,258 posts, read 19,796,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smtty77 View Post
I know that Greensville is a college town but is it okay for my age group? Are there things to do such as biking and socialized events?
I have asked the moderators to move your post to the Coastal Sub-forum. BTW, it is spelled "Greenville". I believe that find a new job at age 50 is going to be a bit difficult. Make sure your computer skill are current and excellent, as you will be competing with many younger people. The largest employers in Greenville are Vidant, running the hospital system and East Carolina University. You migh review what jobs are available in your field here: http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=adminis...eenville%2C+NC

For social activities, you can probably find Meetup groups for people who share your interests.

Last edited by goldenage1; 04-04-2015 at 09:05 AM..

Old 04-04-2015, 02:37 PM

Thank you for your honesty with the job discrimination issue, as it does happen, and for the job link. I just hope to prove my value during the interview and show my computer skills are very current and strong. This will be tough but unfortunately I am not in a position to retire. I also apologize for the misspelling of Greenville. I still plan to visit this summer as I would never move to a location that I have never been to before. My oldest daughter is attending a local university with two more years to go, and that will give me two years to try to find employment. Where I work will dictate where I look to live. Any suggestions on areas along the Eastern side, where I may have the most success would be appreciated. Also, how are the traffic conditions in Greenville?

Old 04-04-2015, 03:59 PM

3,762 posts, read 2,571,720 times
To be blunt.....I don't understand why somebody would move to Greenville without it being associated with a prestigious job/ grad program at ECU. Greenville really isn't a very nice area. Aside from the far southeastern fringes of the city and the "suburb" of Winterville; there aren't many neighborhoods around there that a single middle-aged professional would fit in.

Old 04-04-2015, 04:00 PM

11,419 posts, read 20,274,985 times
Greenvile is covered under the Coastal North Carolina Forum

Old 04-04-2015, 04:51 PM

That's why I posted to this forum, to see what it is like out in these areas. I am starting my research into moving to the state. I could always look into the large cities, Greensboro or Raleigh. Just looking for a better climate and friendly area.

Old 04-04-2015, 11:00 PM

10,401 posts, read 19,428,634 times
One thing you haven't mentioned is, why NC of all the places you could move? Do you have family here? Been here before and liked it? If so, start with the places you know and liked. If not, what made you decide to move a state you know little about? Might another state have what you're looking for, too? Greenville and Asheville are pretty much the opposite ends of the state; it's odd that those would be your two "short list" candidates.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:26 AM

11,258 posts, read 19,796,017 times
Quote:
Also, how are the traffic conditions in Greenville?
You could look at the thread called "Developments In Greenville" in the Coastal NC forum-- the Greenville residents post there.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:56 AM

The reasons I am considering North Carolina are because I was trying to stay on the east coast, the weather is a bit better than what I have in PA, and I have a good friend whose family was in Greensboro. They spoke highly of the area. I know I was considering two different cities on opposite ends, but trying to figure out if it is better towards the ocean or mountains? The cost of living is substantially less than what I am paying right now. Since I am single, that is a big factor. The company I currently work for has a location in Huntersville, just would need a position I am qualified for to open up there and if I had to switch company's, I would do so.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:43 AM

3,762 posts, read 2,571,720 times
Quote:
The reasons I am considering North Carolina are because I was trying to stay on the east coast, the weather is a bit better than what I have in PA, and I have a good friend whose family was in Greensboro. They spoke highly of the area. I know I was considering two different cities on opposite ends, but trying to figure out if it is better towards the ocean or mountains? The cost of living is substantially less than what I am paying right now. Since I am single, that is a big factor. The company I currently work for has a location in Huntersville, just would need a position I am qualified for to open up there and if I had to switch company's, I would do so.

I realize I am going to sound like a jerk here and I promise that my intent is not to insult your intelligence; but have you ever looked at a map of NC? You are all over the map in the names of cities you have just mentioned and thus it is now even more confusing why you are focusing on Greenville.

Greensboro is in the Peidmont-Triad area of NC; about an 1.5 hours west of Raleigh; almost 3 hours away from Greenville.

Huntersville is a suburb north of Charlotte. Over an hour south of Greensboro and again probably about 3+ hours from Greenville.

Greensboro, Huntersville, or Asheville would probably all have more of in the way of the type of community you are looking for than Greenville would but it sounds like you need to come down and visit these cities (and also get a better understanding of the geography of NC) before making a decision of where to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina