Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2015, 08:17 AM

3 posts, read 7,141 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone!

My fiance and I are considering relocating to Jacksonville, NC. I have family there who really seem to enjoy it and it would just be nice to be around family again. Plus we are tired of these NY winters.

We have been looking at apartments (online) and the space you can get for the money are so much better than here! We wont be mmoving for a few months until we've built our savings to where we want it to be.

How do you all feel about this area and what would be the best way for out of staters to go about relocating? It seems like most apartment rentals are through realtors (most here are through owners of the house). Is that the norm and how does it differ then just meeting with the owner themsleves? How are jobs in this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 11:26 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
How are jobs in this area?
'Surely you wouldn't move without at least one of you having a job? Not wise in a state like NC where "everyone is moving"--there is tons of competition for every position, in most areas.

Jacksonville, as I'm sure you know, is a military town and that pervades the culture and job market. Have you visited the town before? You say you have family there, how do they answer the questions you ask above?

Definitely find a job before moving, unless you have a lot saved up.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:38 PM

We definitely will not be moving without a job lined up for at least one of us. Althought I still do not plan on moving without a good savings even with jobs lined up. I have been looking on Indeed and Craigslist to get a feel for the jobs, I am eventually going to be applying to grad school at UNC Wilmington and East Carolina so I would just be looking for basic receptionist position or something else that isnt very specific. Just something for me to have while I'm in school. I've found a good amount on the internet but I was hoping to get info from someone in the area. Most of the family is elderly/retired or are self employed so they haven't helped too much for info in that area.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:56 PM

69 posts, read 87,210 times
If you think you're gonna go to Wilmington or to Greenville for school, the just go ahead and move there first.

All due respect to Jacksonville, if you're from or live there, but it's a hole. A toilet. And so on.

I guess I'm just a stuck up kid from Swansboro though.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:14 PM

I was thinking of moving to one of those places for school but I dont know for sure that I'll get in. I've been to Jacksonville for a few long visits, and I didnt mind it too much. We're mostly thinking there because fiance wants to be bear their family. I'm not looking to make it my long term residence, if we end up not caring for it we'll leave. Were in our early 20s and have been in NY our whole lives. We're just looking for a change. I've heard others remark about Jacksonville similarly but fiances parents really like it (they are former military so that may be why).

Old 04-08-2015, 02:51 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subbers331 View Post
I was thinking of moving to one of those places for school but I dont know for sure that I'll get in. I've been to Jacksonville for a few long visits, and I didnt mind it too much. We're mostly thinking there because fiance wants to be bear their family. I'm not looking to make it my long term residence, if we end up not caring for it we'll leave. Were in our early 20s and have been in NY our whole lives. We're just looking for a change. I've heard others remark about Jacksonville similarly but fiances parents really like it (they are former military so that may be why).
You could still be in Wilmington or somewhere in between and be close enough to JAX to be there for family when they need you.

Check the City-Data city pages for Jacksonville, etc as well as other towns near there (get a map to see what they are) and you can get a little bit of feel for them as far as statistics.

I don't know that I would take the word of retired military folks as gospel when it comes to how 20somethings will like a place. Wilmington is much more your style.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:38 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,730,375 times
There is a lot of anti military bias on this forum. Mostly by the clueless. In Eastern NC meth-heds are a lot more prominent and cause more trouble than military. They are also a lot more prevalent in some of the counties here, than some folks think.

In Jacksonville you will be competing with an endless number of military spouses for a number of positions. Though many haters hate the military, the economy in the counties with strong military presence is somewhat insulated, so jobs might be possible, but still difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina