U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2015, 02:13 PM

1 posts, read 724 times

Advertisements

Moving from California to the Wilmington, NC area in June. I'm a disabled veteran and qualify for the Housing Choice Voucher program (section 8). I will be driving a U-Haul across country and need a place to move straight into. I am forced to select a place to live sight unseen because I can't afford to fly over ahead of tIme and don't know anyone in the area that can assist me. I have had no luck in Pender County or the Jacksonville area as far as openings.

1. Does anyone know of a service that will go to an apartment complex to be my eyes and ears, check it out and send me the info. In some cases they will not rent unless I have someone check it out for me.

2. I have checked Spotcrime, but can anyone give me a review or any info they have heard on the following Section 8 apartments and areas of Wilmington:

- The Village at Greenfield 1519 Lake Branch Dr.
- Greentree Apartments 4615 Greentree Rd.
- The Pines of Wilmington 1002 Mayflower Dr.
- Tidewater Townhomes 355 Greendale Dr.
- Wellington Place Apartments 1107 Wellington Ave.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 06:05 PM

70 posts, read 106,445 times
Thank you for the sacrifices you made when you served our country!

You are in a tough situation. I wish I could help you but I live in MD.

We have been exploring the Wilmington area with a buyers' agent (actually two). They know the area like the back of their hands, they are very helpful, and they seem to know a lot of people. I wonder if they would be willing to give you input on those communities or otherwise assist you. The agency is Carolina Plantations; we have worked with both Doug and Seth, and they are both great. The phone number is 910-755-7557.

Also, there are so many nice, helpful folks on these boards...perhaps there's a retiree on here with some time on his or her hands to help out.

Good luck!

Old 04-11-2015, 08:44 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,345,346 times
Contact this agency

Wilmington Housing Authority Home - WHA

They should be very familiar with all the HUD subsidized facilities and might be able to help you connect with other services you would be eligible for through disabled Vets programs.

The fact that you have secured your section 8 voucher will benefit you tremendously, (they are difficult to come by).

Good Luck!

Old 04-12-2015, 07:11 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,760,854 times
I strongly recommend parking the trailer and staying at an extended stay motel if at all possible. Moving straight in has an extremely low probability for success. Have you tried the local DAV or wounded warrior orgs, cannot imagine someone in Wilmington can't provide some degree of assistance. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina