U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 06:16 AM

4 posts, read 5,022 times

Advertisements

Hi all!
My husband and I and our 3 year old are possibly moving to Wilmington this summer (husband's promotion, if he accepts it) and were wondering what suburbs would have what we're looking for. We've never been there before but would be flown down for a weekend during the selection process but would really like to already prepared with the areas we want to see before we get there. We are looking for a suburb where we can purchase a 4 bedroom home on a larger lot (1/2 acre or so), a community clubhouse pool/tennis/ect and a great school system for around 325K. My husband would be commuting to the downtown area and would like to be 30 mins or so away. From the reading I've tried to do so far it looks like maybe the Porter's Neck and Hampstead areas would be a good fit?
Thanks for any advice you can offer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 06:37 AM

152 posts, read 183,202 times
You might want to visit one of the local reality web sites like Blue Coast Reality for some help. I looked at homes in PN and the only home in your price range would be a patio home at about 1900 square feet. You can buy a home with 2400 square feet on a .25 acre lot close to PN at your price range. I think you might have better luck looking in Hampstead. I visited both areas early in my relocation process, but I was not concerned about schools. Good luck.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:53 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,808,414 times
May I ask why you aren't considering living in Wilmington itself? Lots of nice neighborhoods.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:14 AM

Thanks so much for the info! It sounds like Hampstead would probably get us more in our price range

We are from Columbus, OH and live in the suburbs because we like the feeling of suburbs rather than city life. But obviously Columbus is more of a big city than Wilmington so I guess living in Wilmington would be an option if it had what we were looking for! If I'm doing a search of homes in Wilmington that fit our criteria, is there a specific side of the city that is better than the other? I know it's a broad question but appreciate any feedback!

Old 04-15-2015, 08:29 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,808,414 times
Wilmington is, as you note, much smaller than Columbus. Once you get out of the relatively small downtown area, I think you'll find it feels suburban to you. Look at areas towards Wrightsville Beach and towards Carolina Beach. You probably need to research school districts pretty hard. In NC we have county-wide school districts, but the quality of the schools can vary a lot within the district. Parsley and Wrightsville Beach are excellent elementary schools, probably will be tough to find something in your price range in the WB attendance zone. Bellamy and Bradley Creek elementary schools are good as well.

You might want to meet a realtor when you visit and have them show you whats available in some of these areas.

Here's a house in the Bradley Creek ES district that meets your general criteria, a little over budget:

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale...4_zm/?view=map

Here's one in the Parsley district within your budget:

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale...4_zm/?view=map

Old 04-15-2015, 11:06 AM

Thank you very much! I will check those out and start researching the schools in the area as well. It seems like a really great place to live and hopefully to grow up as well I just wish it wasn't 10 hours away from our families but a great place for them to come visit and stay awhile!

Old 04-15-2015, 12:24 PM

2,492 posts, read 2,368,368 times
Wilmington doesn't have a "city feel" it's very suburban in itself and outside of it is more rural then what you would probably consider suburban.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,502 times
We just moved to Wilmington in December from Alabama my husband accepted a job promotion and we have loved every second of it! We have a four year old little boy who has loved it from day one and loves his new preschool here. There's so much to do every weekend we have a hard time picking what to do because they have things going on all the time. We are just renting now because we had such a time crunch before we had to be here for my husband to start his job. We wanted to find a rental house in the a great school district since we are planning on buying at the end of the year we wanted to stay in the same general area. The reasons we decided against Leland or areas across the bridge was because we heard mixed things over the traffic in the am/pm. Before we moved to Wilmington my husband was driving 30 miles one way to work in horrible traffic so we decided to live in Wilmington closer to his office. We live in Parsley school district we love the area there are several parks within just a few miles of house and it's a great location we are literally just a few mins from just about anything you want. Good luck on everything!

Old 04-15-2015, 03:45 PM

2,399 posts, read 3,355,005 times
I know of a house coming on the market soon in the Stonegate section of Pine Valley that fits your description. Pine Valley Country Club can be joined at a reasonable rate, pretty much the same price as HOA fee's. Schools are great, Elementary Schools is walking distance.

"suburbs" don't apply as much in Wilmington...and consider that Wrightsville Beach and Carolina Beach are technically suburbs. No reason to live in Hampstead if you work downtown.

Old 04-19-2015, 04:47 PM

31 posts, read 33,356 times
We just purchased a home in Hampstead. Crown Pointe subdivision to be exact. 4 bed 3 ba over half acre lot 2300 square feet for well under 300,000. We love Hampstead. Close to the beach and the schools are what brought us here. Grocery stores are abundant but other shopping is 25-30 minutes away in Wilmington or Jacksonville depending which end you are at. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or