U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 07:11 PM

33 posts, read 32,299 times

Advertisements

My wife and I bought a place down at Emerald Isle late last year and I've been down there a lot over the last few months working on it.

T&W Oyster Bar is still open and recommended.
Flipperz is good but I would try some of the other spots first.

For breakfast Mike's Place is the place... They serve breakfast until 2 in the afternoon and do a Sunday breakfast buffet which is great. Be warned, it will be packed in the morning and you will probably have to wait outside for a table.

Sharks Den Sports Bar at Emerald Plantation (Food Lion shopping center) is my favorite place to get some drinks and "bar food" at, everything I have had from there has been pretty good.

For the best shrimp burger around, try Big Oak Drive In at Salter Path / Indian Beach. A local tradition, great for an afternoon meal as they are open from 11-3 during the week and 11-8 on Friday & Saturday's. Its an old school walk up to the window and order type place that has various types of seafood sandwiches, BBQ, burgers, dogs etc... Cash only BTW...

Crab Shack also at Salter Path / Indian Beach is not bad for seafood either.

There's a new mexican restaurant opening in the former Ballyhoo's location, but they weren't up and running yet last time I was down there. I've eaten at El Zarape many times and its always good as well.

If you go to the other end of the island at Atlantic beach to Fort Macon / Aquarium, I would suggest Channel Marker on the Atlantic Beach causeway by the bridge. Its a little pricey, but its right on the water and the service and food (seafood, steaks, etc) have been top notch everytime I've eaten there.

-----------

For entertainment I would check out

Salt Ultra Lounge - In the same shopping center as Flipperz (old Paddy's Pub), the new owner has renovated the bar and its the nicest bar on the island. Huge outdoor area that they sometimes have a steel drum performer playing out there, with a variety of cover bands on the inside stage. Usually has a DJ on Friday nights & live bands on Saturdays. Bands tend to appeal to a more older crowd (beach, dance, classic rock, variety). Salt even runs a free shuttle sometimes to pick you up and take you back as well.

Emerald Club - Smaller older club that has a little more variety as far as live bands go.

Cedar Point Tavern & Scallywags are right over the bridge at Cedar Point as well. And both also have live bands on Friday & Saturday.
Between those 4 places, you should be able to find something that you would like.
A cab ride to any of those 4 from anywhere in Emerald Isle doesn't cost much (lookup DD Cab, they run 24 hours).

-----------

As far as other fun stuff, all the mini golf places are open for the season as well as the go kart tracks. Mac Daddy's across the bridge at Cape Careret has a bowling alley and a golf driving range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 09:02 PM

107 posts, read 215,472 times
Flippers is ok, not much atmosphere. Swansboro has some decent waterfront joints.. we actually ain't at church street pub in Swansboro....nice place....The Riverside in Swansboro is supposed to be good on steaks.....ice house in Swansboro is on water and looks nice inside....Bogue house is good but you eat on styrofoam...The bistro in front of Hampton Inn in Mohead City is excellent and fine dining.....There are some real swanky places in EI If you want high end. Sammys in Mohead is supposed to be delish....can't wait to try it.....

Old 04-22-2015, 06:00 AM

9 posts, read 7,270 times
Just wanted to say thanks for all your ideas. The weekend wasnt a complete washout like we thought it might be so we actually did a bit of beach sitting and there were several others out there with us and some people riding horses too! As far as food we tried michaelangelos pizza which was good but not great, could have been the time of day/year. Flipperz, which my husband loved! And Carteret Cafe was breakfast one morning. We go to walk around Beaufort and ate at Finz, walked around the farmers market, and explored (lol) the graveyard! Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina