U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 02:48 PM

2,903 posts, read 2,009,925 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at a quick little getaway sometime next month and really enjoyed my time down at Carolina Beach a couple of years ago.

My only concern is that the beach itself was pretty steep to walk on the last time I was there. Is this usually the case or was there some type of erosion/nourishment issue at that time that was causing this? The last time I stayed, I was on the south end close to Kure Beach, if that makes any difference.

I'd really prefer to stay at Carolina Beach, since it was a much better value than anything at Wrightsville, which seems overpriced to me. And although it doesn't get as much love as Wrightsville Beach does, I overall prefer Carolina Beach's more low key, laid back vibe, while still having good access to Wilmington for other dining and entertainment options. Plus, at least the part I was in seemed very quiet, and had good access to Fort Fisher and the ferry over to Southport, which was also a plus.

I'm just hoping the beach won't be so uneven like it was the last time I was there because being able to pleasantly walk on the beach and wade in the water is a must. I can handle the chilly water in May.

I figure I'll get much more objective answers here than from the rental agent. Any thoughts on the beach steepness?

Last edited by Jowel; 04-19-2015 at 03:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 07:06 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,807,131 times
Can you describe more about the "steepness" of the beach? Do you mean as you walk from the dune line line down to the water there was a steep gradient? Did this make it difficult to walk down to the water?

The only thing I can think of that may be what you are referring to is when a strong storm (usually a nor'easter) comes by and erodes an escarpment into the beach that may be a couple of feet high. Here is a newspaper story about such as occurrence from last year:

http://portcitydaily.com/2014/05/08/...o-sway-county/

This article would seem to indicate its been fixed:

http://portcitydaily.com/2013/08/28/...h-nourishment/

Old 04-19-2015, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Can you describe more about the "steepness" of the beach? Do you mean as you walk from the dune line line down to the water there was a steep gradient? Did this make it difficult to walk down to the water?
Yes, there was a steeper grade than what I remember and have seen at other beaches from the dune line to the water. It made it a little difficult to walk down to the water, but more noticeably, it made it more difficult to walk parallel to the ocean. Or when walking down to the water, the sand would sink several feet instead of being compacted. It was just all around tough to walk on.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Yes, there was a steeper grade than what I remember and have seen at other beaches from the dune line to the water. It made it a little difficult to walk down to the water, but more noticeably, it made it more difficult to walk parallel to the ocean. Or when walking down to the water, the sand would sink several feet instead of being compacted. It was just all around tough to walk on.
I've never noticed the beach at CB being steeper than any other NC beach.

Be sure and visit Britt's Doughnuts!

Old 04-19-2015, 08:27 PM

10,672 posts, read 11,296,076 times
I had a horrible experience at Carolina Beach about 10 years ago and haven't been back since. The beach was in awful shape then with a really abrupt drop off, coarse yellow sand that looked like it was from a construction site and really rough surf. I'm sure many things have changed since then, but we prefer to go elsewhere after that bad experience. We just popped down to Wrightsville for the day 2 weeks ago and the beach was nice there. I think the Brunswick County beaches are nicer to walk on and swim at than the Wilmington area beaches.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:29 PM

Quote:
I've never noticed the beach at CB being steeper than any other NC beach.

Be sure and visit Britt's Doughnuts!
Hmmm...I experienced the same drop off as poppydog, but maybe it was just that way last time we were both there. But I personally like Carolina Beach with Wilmington being a few minutes in one direction and the tranquility of Fort Fisher being just a few minutes in the other direction whereas Wrightsville Beach feels much more built up and a little bit more exclusive than the feel I'm looking for. And yes, I agree, Britt's Doughnuts are yummy!

Old 04-19-2015, 09:16 PM

12 posts, read 17,985 times
I think the water and beach are better at Kure Beach.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Hmmm...I experienced the same drop off as poppydog, but maybe it was just that way last time we were both there. But I personally like Carolina Beach with Wilmington being a few minutes in one direction and the tranquility of Fort Fisher being just a few minutes in the other direction whereas Wrightsville Beach feels much more built up and a little bit more exclusive than the feel I'm looking for. And yes, I agree, Britt's Doughnuts are yummy!
I'm still not understanding the concern...what poppydog seems to be describing is an erosion issue that created an escarpment, as shown in the picture in the first article I linked to. I've seen that happen at virtually all NC beaches at one time or another. Its usually solved by either beach re-nourishment, or by natural tidal/wave action.

What you seem to be describing is the gradual slope of the beach as somehow being steeper than other NC beaches. As I said, I've not noticed CB being appreciably different in that regard than other NC beaches.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:43 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,436,096 times
The area closer to the boardwalk does not have that issue there may be a slight drop off but it is mostly flat and there is lots of nice sand.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
I'm still not understanding the concern...what poppydog seems to be describing is an erosion issue that created an escarpment, as shown in the picture in the first article I linked to. I've seen that happen at virtually all NC beaches at one time or another. Its usually solved by either beach re-nourishment, or by natural tidal/wave action.

What you seem to be describing is the gradual slope of the beach as somehow being steeper than other NC beaches. As I said, I've not noticed CB being appreciably different in that regard than other NC beaches.
Maybe it was just my perception then, and what I'm describing didn't look anything as extreme as the escarpment picture in the article. What was happening with me was when I was walking along the beach and from the dunes down to the water, there seemed to be more of a drop off from the dunes to the water, so the sand was steeper and there seemed to be more areas where my leg would just sink into the sand up to my knee or higher rather than walking on compacted sand. This was also the case in the water, which made wading more difficult.

It could have been just the previous weather events immediately before I was there, but I just didn't remember it being like that so much in years past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina