U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 07:26 AM

11 posts, read 16,598 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know anything about this new community being developed in Wilmington? We are thinking of locating to either Leland or Wilmington area. Visited Brunswick Forest, Waterford, River Bluffs and Magnolia Gardens when we were down a few months ago. BF is nice, but the lot prices for new building seem a little high. Is this lot premium business the same at all the new communities? Wondering if we'd be better to buy a "newer" resale. Are there any communities similar to BF in Wilmington? We are early 60's and visited Motts Landing just to see what a 55 plus place was like. Looked like a ghostown, and the few people we did see outside looked well over 55. Also, looked like traffic to the beaches might be a problem out that way in season. Do not need a place with golf, as we aren't golfers, nor do we need a "gated" community. Would like indoor/outdoor pools, clubhouse, exercise place and lots of social activities. Most of the places in BF ended up being in the $400's after buying the lot.

Does anyone have suggestions of other places we should look? Don't want too remote, so places like St. James would not work for us.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 01:59 PM

11,250 posts, read 19,773,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogrunner View Post
BF is nice, but the lot prices for new building seem a little high. Is this lot premium business the same at all the new communities? Wondering if we'd be better to buy a "newer" resale. Are there any communities similar to BF in Wilmington? ..... Does anyone have suggestions of other places we should look? Don't want too remote, so places like St. James would not work for us.
There is no place exactly like Brunswick Forest within Wilmington, as BF is huge in land area. However, you might like Landfall and Porter's Neck, even though they are golf communities. I agree the prices for new lots and new houses in Brunswick Forest seem excessive. OTOH, what is your budget?

I personally like the resales in Magnolia Greens and Waterford. I think Compass Pointe is worth looking at. I also think that South Carolina communities in Little River, Myrtle Beach and Pawley's Inlet are worth exploring. EG, Emmens Preserve, Tuscany at Carillon.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogrunner View Post
Would like indoor/outdoor pools, clubhouse, exercise place and lots of social activities. Most of the places in BF ended up being in the $400's after buying the lot.

Does anyone have suggestions of other places we should look? Don't want too remote, so places like St. James would not work for us.
Since indoor pools are hard to find, I made a list of places with indoor pools. They include: Brunswick Forest, Brunswick Plantation, Crow Creek in Calabash. Magnolia Greens, Ocean Ridge, Rivers Edge, Riversea at Supply, SeaScape at Holden Beach, Sea Trail Plantation, St James and Waterford of the Carolina.

In addition the Brunswick Community College in Bolivia has a great indoor pool, if you find another community without the indoor pool.

Would you be interested in Shallotte? It seems like a great small town, and there is one all-ages community with an indoor pool called Rourk Woods.

Last edited by goldenage1; 04-20-2015 at 02:48 PM..

Old 04-20-2015, 04:31 PM

Thank you, goldenage1, for your comments and suggestions. I looked at Rourk Woods, and we liked the Bill Clark homes at BF, but I think Shallotte might be a little too far south. We want to be able to drive into Wilmington for restaurants and cultural events, and being too far south seems to be a liability.

We are from New England, and housing prices up here are going back up. We expect to be able to get $800 plus for our home here, so our budget down in NC would be from $400 to $450. Our realtor told us Landfall was "really snooty"; he didn't even bother showing it to us. We don't want to pay extra HOA fees for golf when we don't even do that, so that's why we were lookng at non-golf properties.

Didn't have time to see Compass Pointe, but many have told us we should look there, as well.

Thanks again for your comments.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:06 PM

I had not heard of River Lights before, and all I know is contained in the follow article. I thinks it is too soon to know whether it will be fully developed or live up to its potential. Article here: RiverLights, River Road project set to begin | StarNewsOnline.com

I very much like the concept of River Bluffs with the shopping and organic garden planned as part of the community. I also think the location is good, and will allow easy access to the amenities of Wilmington. However, it is a bit far from the beach. But, again, it is too soon to know if the community will fulfill its promise. I assume you have seen the website: Home - River Bluffs

Last edited by goldenage1; 04-20-2015 at 06:28 PM..

Old 04-21-2015, 10:40 AM

32 posts, read 49,761 times
I find most of these communities lot prices are way too high....Seems only us folks from the North are buying into them. You know the locals would not be able to afford those prices.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:11 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,355,005 times
RiverLights is definitely happening...my understanding of its time frame is limited to this..

There will be a groundbreaking for amenities soon with some of the amenities complete by next summer. The first phase will be an "over 55" community. RiverLights will encompass a number of different communities and include commercial component, single family, multi-family, etc...and lots of natural spaces...plus a marina.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:46 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,808,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I had not heard of River Lights before, and all I know is contained in the follow article. I thinks it is too soon to know whether it will be fully developed or live up to its potential. Article here: RiverLights, River Road project set to begin | StarNewsOnline.com

I very much like the concept of River Bluffs with the shopping and organic garden planned as part of the community. I also think the location is good, and will allow easy access to the amenities of Wilmington. However, it is a bit far from the beach. But, again, it is too soon to know if the community will fulfill its promise. I assume you have seen the website: Home - River Bluffs
I have to disagree on the desirability of the River Bluffs location. Right across the river from the county landfill, a chemical plant and Sutton Lake, next door to huge GE plant. Plus the travel times to various places claimed on their website is a joke...15 minutes to Wrightsville Beach? There's no way.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:02 AM

13 posts, read 27,432 times
I would suggest checking compass pointe they are planning to put an indoor pool in. They also have a state of the art fitness facility along with many social activities. Good Luck

Old 04-22-2015, 12:55 PM

Thanks. Compass Pointe is on our list for the next visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or