U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-23-2015, 05:38 AM
 
4,958 posts, read 2,203,046 times
Reputation: 7101

Advertisements

Apple plans to use the timber, which is a mix of loblolly pines and hardwoods, in the making of paper packaging for its products.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-23-2015, 06:39 AM
 
Location: SW Corner of CT
1,950 posts, read 1,538,444 times
Reputation: 2438
Raping the land
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2015, 06:45 AM
 
Location: Sneads Ferry, NC
11,258 posts, read 19,796,017 times
Reputation: 5087
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
Raping the land
Not really. The harvesting of pines happens all over ENC. The pines are good for lumber and paper. Apple will probably re-plant. Otherwise the trees re-seed themselves, and within 25 to 50 years, the site will have regrown mature trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2015, 06:52 AM
 
Location: Southport
4,639 posts, read 4,814,440 times
Reputation: 3417
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
Raping the land
Wrong.

"Computer giant Apple recently purchased 3,600 acres of forest land in Brunswick County, which will be managed by The Conservation Fund, an Arlington,Virginia-based conservation organization.

The timber will be harvested in accordance with a management plan that focuses on sustainability.
“We are growing as much as or even more than we are harvesting,” said Brian Dangler, director of The Conservation Fund..."

Apple (AAPL) buys 3,600 acres of forest land in Brunswick County, North Carolina - Triangle Business Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2015, 09:25 AM
 
Location: SW Corner of CT
1,950 posts, read 1,538,444 times
Reputation: 2438
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Not really. The harvesting of pines happens all over ENC. The pines are good for lumber and paper. Apple will probably re-plant. Otherwise the trees re-seed themselves, and within 25 to 50 years, the site will have regrown mature trees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Wrong.

"Computer giant Apple recently purchased 3,600 acres of forest land in Brunswick County, which will be managed by The Conservation Fund, an Arlington,Virginia-based conservation organization.

The timber will be harvested in accordance with a management plan that focuses on sustainability.
“We are growing as much as or even more than we are harvesting,” said Brian Dangler, director of The Conservation Fund..."

Apple (AAPL) buys 3,600 acres of forest land in Brunswick County, North Carolina - Triangle Business Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2015, 03:15 PM
 
Location: Greenville, NC
2,078 posts, read 5,042,551 times
Reputation: 1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Not really. The harvesting of pines happens all over ENC. The pines are good for lumber and paper. Otherwise the trees re-seed themselves, and within 25 to 50 years, the site will have regrown mature trees.
A couple of facts here...

Unless pines are replanted, the trees that grow up on clear cut forest lands are for the most part, not pines. They tend to be trees of little use like Sweet Gums and Pecan.

Eastern North Carolina is steadily being deforested and much like the Amazon rain forest, has caught the eye of environmentalists. The land is being raped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2015, 04:33 PM
 
Location: Southport
4,639 posts, read 4,814,440 times
Reputation: 3417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Eastern North Carolina is steadily being deforested and much like the Amazon rain forest, has caught the eye of environmentalists. The land is being raped.
If thats true, I'm I'm not at all convinced it is, then that would mean eastern NC is experiencing a different scenario than the rest of the country, much of which has been reforesting itself for the past 50 years or so.

In any case, the logging that is the topic of this thread does not fit the definition of "the land being raped."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 04:01 AM
 
Location: Greenville, NC
2,078 posts, read 5,042,551 times
Reputation: 1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
In any case, the logging that is the topic of this thread does not fit the definition of "the land being raped."
And they planned for a big mall/shopping center in New Bern. Has that happened yet? Talk is cheap. If they actually reforest with pine then that is good. Until then, talk is cheap. They need to know that someone is watching.

The great pines that once covered 90 million acres from Virginia to Texas is called the Long Leaf Pine. These are the trees that are being clearcut in Eastern North Carolina. Today only 3% of these trees remain. They are not reseeding themselves ANYWHERE.

http://www.conservationfund.org/proj...-longleaf-pine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 04:56 AM
 
Location: Southport
4,639 posts, read 4,814,440 times
Reputation: 3417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
And they planned for a big mall/shopping center in New Bern. Has that happened yet?
Who is "they"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
The great pines that once covered 90 million acres from Virginia to Texas is called the Long Leaf Pine. These are the trees that are being clearcut in Eastern North Carolina. Today only 3% of these trees remain. They are not reseeding themselves ANYWHERE.

Mapping the Future of Longleaf Pine
I'm well aware of the long leaf pine. The long leaf pine forest was cut down many, many years ago, primarily for ship masts and naval stores (this is part of the origin of the nickname "Tar Heel"). Most existing long leaf pine forest have restrictions and protections in place. And as to the article you linked to mentions, there are many efforts to recreate it. I'm aware of thousands of acres of long leaf pine being re-established in my own county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 07:15 AM
 
Location: Greenville, NC
2,078 posts, read 5,042,551 times
Reputation: 1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Who is "they"?
Premier Shopping Headed to New Bern | WCTI NewsChannel 12 - WCTI NewsChannel 12

"Premier" Shopping Coming To New Bern
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top