Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 11:02 AM

1 posts, read 3,221 times

Advertisements

Hey! I live in Wilmington and my best friend and I are planning a "Girl's Day" out of the town. We are planning to take the Ft. Fisher ferry to Southport, but we are not taking the car nor do we have bikes so we will be walking. We want to eat lunch somewhere when we arrive at Southport from the ferry so I was wondering if anyone knows of any nice restaurants that are in good walking distance from the Southport ferry? Please let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 11:42 AM

805 posts, read 2,003,583 times
It is approximately 3.5 miles from where the Fort Fisher Ferry docks at the edge of Southport to the center of Southport where the restaurants begin. There are a multitude of very nice restaurants on or near the waterfront in Southport but unfortunately they are not in "walking" distance from the ferry, IMO. There are however several taxi companies in Southport http://www.firstchoicetaxicab.com/ is a good one and it is only about a five minute or so taxi ride ( you can call them when you land or arrange ahead of time for a pick-up at the dock ) to the center of town at the waterfront and then you can walk to all of them in a few minutes, a block or two in any direction to the restaurants and many shops to explore. If a short taxi ride is an option for you then I can recommend several really fun/nice places to eat right on the water.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:59 AM

7 posts, read 17,367 times
How are you getting to the ferry then? What type of food do you want to eat? Is ambiance more important?

Old 06-21-2013, 01:00 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,205,559 times
I agree there is nothing restaurant-wise within walking distance from the Southport ferry terminal.

One fun option may be to catch the Southport to Bald Head Island ferry from the same terminal and grab a meal somewhere on BHI. Depending on your budget, you could also rent a golf cart or bikes and cruise around the island stopping at some of the shops and sights (light house, chapel, conservatory, etc).

Old 06-22-2013, 12:31 PM

413 posts, read 701,235 times
You shouldn't recommend a trip to BHI without warning of the exhorbitant cost of the ferry ride, it was $24.75 round trip per adult last time I checked. That's a lot of money to pay on top of lunch. I guess it keeps out the hoi polloi.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna25 View Post
You shouldn't recommend a trip to BHI without warning of the exhorbitant cost of the ferry ride, it was $24.75 round trip per adult last time I checked. That's a lot of money to pay on top of lunch. I guess it keeps out the hoi polloi.
I've always considered the ticket price a drop in the bucket when renting a house there. I thought they used to have cheaper same-day, round-trip passes, but it has been a number of years since I have taken the trip over to BHI.

EDIT: Yup, I was right, they should have something similar from the mainland terminal (used to be Indigo Plantation, but it looks to leave from the State Dock terminal now). OP can always call and inquire about the "no-frills" ticket price if cost is a concern.

Quote:
Round-trip tickets cost $24.75 for adults, $13.75 for children ages 3-12. There is no charge for children ages two and younger. Tram service to your island destination may be provided based on ticket type and availability. A discounted "no-frills" ticket is available at the Bald Head Island Marina for same-day round-trips that originate on the island and require no baggage handling or tram service.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:34 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
The BHI ferry is not feasible for them, though. They're talking about catching the ferry in Ft Fisher, not catching it in Southport. (BTW I think the discounted ticket is still something like $15.)

Take the car with you! It's not really a walking type ferry.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
The BHI ferry is not feasible for them, though. They're talking about catching the ferry in Ft Fisher, not catching it in Southport. (BTW I think the discounted ticket is still something like $15.)

Take the car with you! It's not really a walking type ferry.
They said they were taking the ferry from Ft Fisher to Southport. The ferry to BHI now leaves from the same terminal where the Ft Fisher -> Southport ferry terminates.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:55 PM

805 posts, read 2,003,583 times
Well... to be clear... the ferries do not share the same terminal at all, each ferry has it's own terminal, they are not at the same location, they are a good 1/2 mile to 3/4 mile apart and that is one heck of a hike....IMO.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:44 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
But they're in Wilmington and want to take the ferry from Ft Fisher to eat in Southport. Much simpler to just take the car on the Ft Fisher/Southport ferry and pay the extra $6. (Car far is $5 each way, so a total of $10. Pedestrian fare is $1 a piece each way, so $4 total.) It will be much cheaper than the BHI ferry even completely discounting the difficulty of getting to the BHI ferry.

Tinaking, you could also take your car on the ferry to Southport and then take the roads back to Wilmington instead of the ferry back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina