U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-28-2015, 07:48 AM
 
7 posts, read 5,947 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

My family and extended family (in-laws- total of 10 of us) are looking to move from the burbs of MD to rural NC. Trying to build family values and stop sacrificing them for 60 hr. work weeks. Three of the family members will have the ability to work from home (just not while in MD) and one is in school pursuing nursing.

We have been searching for tracts of 15+ acres with either a single home or land to build multiple homes. I live in the burbs now on 1 acre (unheard of in our area) and it's 20-30 mins to the nearest big box store/mall so shopping malls etc., not much of a concern. However, I do have the luxury of a grocery store and convenience store within 5 mins.

My biggest concern is our children. The 5 children between both families range from 2 - 12. One in middle school and three in elementary. My son, the oldest is really into sports, mostly baseball and basketball and has played since he was 5. Ideally, I would like to find an area where transplants are welcome but aren't the majority. I worry that smaller towns will be less accepting and the kids will struggle. I'm really just looking for a place where they will be welcomed and he can continue to play the sports that he loves is.

Searching for properties has directed me to some very rural areas and while that is ideal for my husband...maybe not so much for me. I would still like to be near a decent medical facility and town. I would appreciate some civilization :-).

We've considered the following areas but I'm so conflicted after reading multiple threads on here. Any thoughts on these areas or suggestions for others.

Swansboro
Cherryville
Leland
Whiteville
Stella
Kinston
Jacksonville
Maysville

I would really appreciate any feedback. This has also been posted in the Charlotte boards.

Last edited by JsJa02; 04-28-2015 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: errors in message
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-28-2015, 08:06 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
132 posts, read 159,703 times
Reputation: 158
Why NC in particular? Have you looked at Virginia? They have more more land and less people, and it's closer to MD so the acceptance thing won't be an issue.

You need to think of it as county level instead of cities. Because you will have to be off in the county somewhere to get that much space.

And there is a significant difference between coastal counties and the western piedmont.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2015, 08:13 AM
 
7 posts, read 5,947 times
Reputation: 10
Snow!! Light snow isn't an issue, but many inches of it, I'd prefer to stay away from. We are also interested in small scale farming. My husband does a lot of gardening, canning etc. and we would appreciate the longer warm months do stock our shelves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2015, 08:18 AM
NCN
 
Location: NC/SC Border Patrol
21,135 posts, read 21,904,692 times
Reputation: 23218
Quote:
Originally Posted by JsJa02 View Post
My family and extended family (in-laws- total of 10 of us) are looking to move from the burbs of MD to rural NC. Trying to build family values and stop sacrificing them for 60 hr. work weeks. Three of the family members will have the ability to work from home (just not while in MD) and one is in school pursuing nursing.

We have been searching for tracts of 15+ acres with either a single home or land to build multiple homes. I live in the burbs now on 1 acre (unheard of in our area) and it's 20-30 mins to the nearest big box store/mall so shopping malls etc., not much of a concern. However, I do have the luxury of a grocery store and convenience store within 5 mins.

My biggest concern is our children. The 5 children between both families range from 2 - 12. One in middle school and three in elementary. My son, the oldest is really into sports, mostly baseball and basketball and has played since he was 5. Ideally, I would like to find an area where transplants are welcome but aren't the majority. I worry that smaller towns will be less accepting and the kids will struggle. I'm really just looking for a place where they will be welcomed and he can continue to play the sports that he loves is.

Searching for properties has directed me to some very rural areas and while that is ideal for my husband...maybe not so much for me. I would still like to be near a decent medical facility and town. I would appreciate some civilization :-).

We've considered the following areas but I'm so conflicted after reading multiple threads on here. Any thoughts on these areas or suggestions for others.

Swansboro
Cherryville
Leland
Whiteville
Stella
Kinston
Jacksonville
Maysville

I would really appreciate any feedback. This has also been posted in the Charlotte boards.
NCN means North Carolina native. Using your list only, I would choose Whiteville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2015, 01:02 PM
 
Location: Sneads Ferry, NC
11,266 posts, read 19,818,967 times
Reputation: 5089
Quote:
Originally Posted by JsJa02 View Post
Snow!! Light snow isn't an issue, but many inches of it, I'd prefer to stay away from. We are also interested in small scale farming. My husband does a lot of gardening, canning etc. and we would appreciate the longer warm months do stock our shelves.
I am familiar with Maysville, Stella, Jacksonville and Swansboro, and all would be OK for your purposes. Because there are so many military people in this area, transplants are very welcome. I'd suggest adding Richlands to your list because it is known for good farmland. It also may be hard to find an affordable amount of acreage within Jacksonville city limits as you are competing with developers.

Whiteville is also an agricultural area, but I am less sure about transplants there.

I would cross Leland off your list as it has attracted lots of retiree development altready. Prices will probably have been pushed off the chart by developers.

Last edited by goldenage1; 04-28-2015 at 01:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2015, 01:23 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
10,403 posts, read 19,441,830 times
Reputation: 11289
I think NC and VA get roughly the same amount of snow within a couple of inches. NC gets 6-inch snowfalls fairly regularly.

Have you looked at SC? That is more rural overall, and less snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2015, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Chapelboro
10,695 posts, read 11,333,530 times
Reputation: 8548
I wouldn't want to live in any of those areas, so hard for me to recommend them, but I do recommend that you take some time to come down and visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2015, 02:59 PM
 
Location: Sneads Ferry, NC
11,266 posts, read 19,818,967 times
Reputation: 5089
Quote:
Originally Posted by JsJa02 View Post
...Three of the family members will have the ability to work from home (just not while in MD) and one is in school pursuing nursing...
Here is something serious to consider while you are looking at very rural land. I spoke with a friend today who lives in Maysville, at the edge of the Onslow/Jones County border. She reports she cannot get cell-phone reception at her home. She also does not have cable, and she relies on HughesNet satellite for television and Internet.

So, my warning is: don't get too far out in the country unless you know you can get the services you need to work from home. Don't reply completly on the providers' maps, either. The reception may be poor, but still count as "available".

BTW, I think your should also include Beulaville if you are looking at the Jacksonville area. There are a couple good houses on land between $370K and $430K in Beaulaville or Richlands.

Last edited by goldenage1; 04-28-2015 at 03:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2015, 07:11 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
1,658 posts, read 1,864,260 times
Reputation: 1478
Cherryville is in the Charlotte metro so it's the closest to a large city while also being extremely rural. You should inquire about it on the Charlotte forum though as someone else there might know more about it.

Maysville is just TOO rural so I would leave that one out. Like someone said above, you would have a hard time even getting basic services out there.

I would only do Kinston if you mean living out in the county to the northwest of town or something and not inside the city itself. Same with Jacksonville. Whiteville sounds pretty good for what you're looking for too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2015, 07:19 PM
 
1,977 posts, read 2,638,091 times
Reputation: 1921
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I wouldn't want to live in any of those areas, so hard for me to recommend them, but I do recommend that you take some time to come down and visit.
totally agree with both of your opinions.

look around Chapel hill , Raleigh outskirts etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top